PDA

View Full Version : Footwear

thelightinside
11-14-2010, 14:23
I'm starting NOBO in mid-March and can't decide what shoes to wear. I think I would be more comfortable in trail runner-type shoes, but would waterproof mids be a better idea for the cold and possible snow? Suggestions?

topshelf
11-14-2010, 14:31
You can always wear a higher length shoe and switch into trail runners after you get out of the snow. Like say when you get to VA and Grayson Highlands doesn't have snow.

You can also bounce box a pair of shoes you aren't currently wearing. So you could bounce the higher boots and wear trail runners. When you run into snow or get wind that a storm is coming, just switch.

Luddite
11-14-2010, 14:35
Thats what I'm planning on doing. Gunna wear Goretex boots until it warms up and then switch to trail runners. I'm starting in February.

Moose2001
11-14-2010, 15:03
I wouldn't wear gortex boots for a March start! Your feet will sweat a bunch and make you much more prone to blisters and serious problems. A good, supportive, breathable boot is your best bet.

leaftye
11-14-2010, 15:06
I would do goretex socks...if I could find them locally to check their fit. Add VBL socks to help dry out wet footwear.

Blissful
11-14-2010, 20:08
I used Gore tex in '07 and my feet still got wet. Nice thing about trail runners is yeah they get wet, but they dry real quick. I use Brooks Adrenaline ASR but I pronate.

thelightinside
11-14-2010, 20:18
Thanks for the replies! I like the idea of switching out when the weather gets warmer. As far as Gore-Tex, I usually have sweaty feet no matter what I wear so I certainly don't want to contribute to the problem; I'm just worried about walking through wet snow and getting cold feet...

Luddite
11-14-2010, 20:30
Nice thing about trail runners is yeah they get wet, but they dry real quick. I use Brooks Adrenaline ASR but I pronate.

I don't know if the Merrell Moab Ventilators are considered trail runners, but the thing I like about them is you can almost wring them out when they're wet.

DapperD
11-14-2010, 20:34
I'm starting NOBO in mid-March and can't decide what shoes to wear. I think I would be more comfortable in trail runner-type shoes, but would waterproof mids be a better idea for the cold and possible snow? Suggestions?I thought about this alot also. I came to this very conclusion that if and when I eventually attempt a thru-hike I have a good-quality pair of leather midweight insulated Goretex boots lined up for the start, and then eventually when it warms up I would switch to a pair of lighter weight fabric type boots. I think this is the way to go so I wouldn't get stuck in snow with a boot that wouldn't provide the necessary protection I would need for the conditions that would present themselves.

TheChop
11-14-2010, 21:43
Would not go Gore-Tex. Ever. Most hiking boots come in a non GT version that normally isn't stocked in retail stores. Gore-Tex loses its effectiveness and breaks down when it gets sweated on. Shoes get sweated on constantly so your GT is going to be good for the first 100 miles MAYBE. After that it will break down and not be waterproof but it will annoyingly retain its inability to be breathable and not dry out as quickly as non Gore-Texed shoes/boots.

I have a pair of Vasque Breeze and they dry out considerably quicker than the GTX Breezes I've seen on the trail in similar conditions. I step in water and if it's a dry day I've got dry feet thirty minutes later. A hiker with GTX Breezes steps in water they they've got dry feet the next morning after airing out all night.

If it rains constantly you're going to get wet feet.

Blissful
11-14-2010, 21:55
Thanks for the replies! I like the idea of switching out when the weather gets warmer. As far as Gore-Tex, I usually have sweaty feet no matter what I wear so I certainly don't want to contribute to the problem; I'm just worried about walking through wet snow and getting cold feet...

You will get wet feet no matter what you wear. But cold feet is more a camp issue then hiking, as with hiking you are walking and feet are warm. In camp, switch out to warm socks and crocs or camp shoes. With consistent wet feet early on, blisters are the issue. Drying out shoes quickly and keeping feet aired and switching out socks often helps

Wise Old Owl
11-14-2010, 22:04
I wouldn't wear gortex boots for a March start! Your feet will sweat a bunch and make you much more prone to blisters and serious problems. A good, supportive, breathable boot is your best bet.

What? Gortex is breathable .... your feet will sweat it till soaking....:D

http://www.ehow.com/how_4925094_care-goretex-boots.html

I read the thread and - folks - the military use Gortex, the hunters use Gortex, you do what you want. Blissful is right switch your socks.

I wear Solomon Waterproof XA Comp GORTEX

Pony
11-15-2010, 10:50
My experience has been that it keeps your feet relatively dry for a while, but when they get wet, they keep your feet wet for a while. I got some goretex boots mailed to me in DWG. They were fine until I got rained on for two straight hours in NY. Couldn't get them dry and by the time I got to Kent CT. my feet were chewed up. I ditched them and got some Merrills in Kent and my feet were fine. I vote for non Gortex, but that's just my opinion.