PDA

View Full Version : Can I hang hammock in Davenport Gap shelter?

The Counselor
11-14-2010, 17:29
Any issues with hanging my hammock inside? Structurally doable? Other potential issues?

Luddite
11-14-2010, 17:33
You might piss some people off, but I doubt it would do any structural damage.

The Counselor
11-14-2010, 17:38
Piss them off how exactly?

10-K
11-14-2010, 17:42
Do you mean hang it INSIDE the shelter or somewhere close to the shelter?

The Counselor
11-14-2010, 17:49
Inside. I've read about it being done but want to know if it is permissible, safe, an inconvenience to others in any way etc.

Ox97GaMe
11-14-2010, 17:59
there isnt a lot of space in the shelter. In order to hang the hammock, you will be limiting the amount of space hikers have to walk around and hang their stuff. Better to hang the hammock outside the shelter. But that is only allowed (per regulations) when the shelter is full.

And why is the question only for Davenport Shelter? If you are just going in for an overnight, you might as well just take your sleeping pad. It is only .9 from the road and is a pretty easy hike.

Crunchygroovesbra
11-14-2010, 18:00
i've seen people do it before, its not as bad as putting up a tent inside a shelter, i'd just check with people there first, esp. the person who could be sleeping under you....its def a way to remain mouse free...

The Counselor
11-14-2010, 18:07
Because it's the only shelter I care about potentially hammocking in. Thanks for the info. I won't be do it unless there is room to spare which sounds unlikely. We are hiking in early May from Cosby campground up Low Gap Trail to the AT and then North to Hot Springs.

wornoutboots
11-16-2010, 23:45
when I was there last November it still had a chain link fence across the front so it would actually be easy to hang one end from that and the other possibly from the end of the sleeping platform? Agreed to ask others before hanigin it inside