PDA

View Full Version : Mail drops or resupply at Sam's Gap/US23?

Tater
12-13-2004, 05:08
Are there any mail drop or decent resupply options at Sam's Gap/US23 between Hot Springs and Erwin? Thinking of doing a section there during the Christmas holidays. Also how will the holidays affect any such options?

orangebug
12-13-2004, 07:27
I just did Sam's Gap to Damascus for Thanksgiving. I gather you plan on Hot Springs to Erwin?

Sam's Gap has nothing there, unless you call ahead and make arrangements with one of the hostels. Of course, Miss Janet would be a great choice. I hear she plans to do some renovations on her hostel, so I'd be sure to contact her first.

I believe that Hot Springs to Sam's Gap would be about 40 miles, with another 24 miles to Erwin and the Nollichucky River. North of Allen Gap, don't bother with the fire tower/antennaes, as you will get excellent views on the "exposed ridgeline" new relo south of Jerry's Cabin. The Rich Mountain fire tower is worth the side trip.

Have a good walk. Try to save time to enjoy Big Bald for a while.

Alligator
12-13-2004, 11:51
Just did Sam's Gap to Allen Gap a few weeks back. The relo is very nice, but stay off of it if the weather is foul. It would be a bad place to be in icy conditions.

Nothing at Sam's Gap, Orangebug's advice is good about calling ahead.

The trail was pretty easy as I recall north of Sam's Gap, at least up to the shelter after Big Bald.

orangebug
12-13-2004, 12:04
Only problem I had on that section was the lack of water north of No Business Knob Shelter. Otherwise, this is a fast and fun section.

Jack Tarlin
12-13-2004, 18:14
There is the possibility of a new hostel opening next year in (or very near to) Sam's Gap; perhaps Miss Janet or someone else who lives locally can keep us informed of this.

There is also the possibility of a new hostel opening next year near Allen Gap, about 16 miles north of Hot Springs.

In any case, most hikers over the years have managed to get from Hot Springs to Erwin without resupplying in the middle.

TakeABreak
12-14-2004, 00:13
All I can suggest is doing a food cache ahead of time, if you are just a section hike, if you doing a thru hike the distance from hot springs to erwin should be do able without resupplying.

The other alternative is to hitch down the NC side 1.9 miles to to lyle & dians grill or 2.8 to Little creek cafe. I was able to get a ride to the later (the first was not there in2000), to get a hotmeal, sandwhichs and candy bars, (me and partner had consumed our supplies trying to stay warm in an ice storm).

Mountain Dew
12-14-2004, 00:58
Get in touch with Miss Janet and ask her any questions you might have about that area if you want to minimize the chances of making the wrong plans. There are several options on a section hike in that section and she knows them all. Have fun !

Brushy Sage
12-14-2004, 11:25
All I can suggest is doing a food cache ahead of time, if you are just a section hike, if you doing a thru hike the distance from hot springs to erwin should be do able without resupplying.

The other alternative is to hitch down the NC side 1.9 miles to to lyle & dians grill or 2.8 to Little creek cafe. I was able to get a ride to the later (the first was not there in2000), to get a hotmeal, sandwhichs and candy bars, (me and partner had consumed our supplies trying to stay warm in an ice storm).

When I-26 opened across the mountains last year (2003), it took most of the traffic off the old road (US 23), so a hitch is much more difficult. I was up that way a few weeks ago and found no food establishment open between Sams Gap and the Little Creek Cafe.

TakeABreak
12-15-2004, 03:41
OK, I stand corrected, I was going by what I did in 2000, and what the 04 companion guide says. I will make a note in my companion. If lyle and dians is closed for good, then maybe you should send ALHA an email to update the online companion and the atc's online update.

rustyD
02-07-2005, 14:15
Hey y'all......

I'm an AT enthusiast living in Mars Hill NC, which is where Sams Gap is located.

I'm considering running a Sams Gap grocery/supply service for hikers. Would this be helpful and/or feasible? I wonder how it would work. Can people call ahead? Can the arrangements be done ahead of time?

The hike from Hot Springs to Erwin is pretty far.... I guess really good hikers with no extenuating circumstances can make it that far with no re-supply, but it;s tough.

And yes, with the new intersate there is like NO traffic on the old road. But there's a great parking lot and I live so close....!

Please post your thoughts, if any.

Peace!
Russ

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2005, 19:18
Rusty---

If you do this as a "business" you may have some problems (i.e the legality of charging fees, carrying passengers without necessary permits, permission, licenses, etc). In recent years, some folks in this area have run into trouble for not being properly documented, licensed, insured, etc.

If you do it on an informal basis, based on "donations" for rides, you'd probably have it easier, tho I don't think you're going to get rich. Thru-hikers are notoriously cheap when it comes to paying for services that are described or perceived as "donations accepted".

There will indeed be a period of six-eight weeks or so when dozens of folks will be passing thru Sam's Gap each day, and some of them may well want a shuttle ride to a supermarket, or to Erwin, or to other places. Whether a significant number of them would be willing to pay for this service is something I rather doubt.

Also, as I said in Post #5 above, I think there's a good chance there might be a new hostel in or near Sam's Gap this season, which would probably provide shuttle service. Before commencing your operation or plans, I'd get more information on this. If anyone would know more, Miss Janet would, in Erwin. I suggest you contact her with your questions and ideas. (Call 423-743-1932)

orangebug
02-07-2005, 20:31
The distance between Hot Springs and Sam's Gap is something like 40-45 miles, or a general 3-4 day walk - less for some. (Hot Springs -> Allen Gap 14+, Allen Gap -> Sam's 30 with the relo). Cell phone service in the area is essentially non existent except at the ridge line above Sam's Gap - and not all that good there.

I think it would be a sure money loser of a service given the likely hostel at Sam's Gap and all of the services down in Erwin.

Maryelle
02-16-2005, 16:15
I have heard that Rainbow Springs will no longer accept maildrops. If this is true, is there another option between Unicoi and Wesser. We will on the trail in May and don't look forward to carrying food for the 7 days it would take us to get from Unicoi to Wesser.
Thanks for the information.
Maryelle

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2005, 16:54
Option one is to start at Unicoi with minimal food and re-supply 16 miles later in Hiawassee, which is an easy hitch and has two great supermarkets.

Option two is to hitch into Franklin from Winding Stair Gap, which is what most hikers will be doing this year with Rainbow Springs evidently closed.

orangebug
02-16-2005, 19:05
Rainbow Springs is absolutely closed. Been there and looked at it. Stuck a fork in it. It is done.