PDA

View Full Version : First time section hike SNP advice

shellanders
11-15-2010, 04:02
My husband and I are looking at doing a section hike starting at or around Big Meadows and heading north. We are going to be on the Trail for about 5 days and was wondering what advice we could get from people that have been there done that. Also, would like to know how to find out distances on the trail. Would help immensely if we knew how long each part of the trail we are hiking is. Any advice we can get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sparky2000
11-15-2010, 09:00
Call ahead. Don't know when the restaurants close.

Blissful
11-15-2010, 09:36
Download (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm)the companion for trail distances for that section to give you an idea. I enjoy the trail in SNP in late April or in late fall for the best views, etc. Be sure you guard yourselves against deer ticks.

Cookerhiker
11-15-2010, 09:46
I would also suggest contacting the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) (http://www.patc.net/PublicView/) and obtaining their maps for the Central and North Districts of the Park. Unfortunately, their website has been rather recalcitrant lately but their phone number is 703-242-0315. They can be reached 7-9PM Monday through Thursday.

The maps provide distances, contours, side trails, and an elevation profile showing at a glance how much up and down you have. FYI by starting at Big Meadows, you'll come to the highest point in the Park in the first few miles: Hawksbill, reached on a short side trail. Another tidbit: as you approach Thornton Gap, it's worth taking the blue-blazed side trail to Mary's Rock (if the weather's nice) to take in the view.

1azarus
11-15-2010, 12:31
There are concrete posts with embossed metal bands with mileage. I missed them for a while...

bigcranky
11-15-2010, 14:39
Nice section. If you do any sort of reasonable mileage you'll be in Front Royal easily in 5 days. You'll be able to eat or stay at Skyland, and eat at Elkwallow, assuming that you hike during a time of year when they are open.

Alpine Jack
11-15-2010, 14:41
Print out your section from the Online companion:
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

These versions are up to date, 2010.

johnnybgood
11-15-2010, 19:06
www.visitshenandoah.com (http://www.visitshenandoah.com) for park information regarding closure dates.

Hiking this time of year is really cool , both realistically and figuratively speaking.
As mentioned already , contrete markers will keep you informed ... , reading glasses I have found to be needed at times.

shellanders
11-15-2010, 19:29
Thank you to all that have replied and future replies, lots of very helpful information. Still little bit lost on planning iterinary, but that will come. Seems like we have a lot of time to plan, but I know different. Downloaded the companion, that was a big help. Sending off for other materials from PATC too. Johnnybgood; lol - guess it's good I have bifocals - can't see to walk without my glasses; can't see to read without them either.

Feel free to offer any advice, all information is welcome. We do hike here in Missouri, but I am sure it's nothing like what it is on the AT. The biggest thing is we don't have the elevation here, so that will have a huge impact on what we experience. But I can't wait to get there.

Michelle :sun

Bags4266
11-15-2010, 19:34
Well don't want to bust your bubble but the AT through SNP is "Boring"... That said I been there other times to hike their "popular trails" and there fantastic with great views rock scrambles and water falls.

shellanders
11-15-2010, 19:54
I guess boring is a matter of perspective, Bags. When you have never even been on the AT at all, never seen a true waterfall, or have never seen any of the mountains included in the AT; I am guessing, whatever we see will be amazing. The section of trail we are going on has 3 waterfalls that are over 60' high. Do you remember the first time you ever saw that? I am sure you felt as we do - excited.

johnnybgood
11-15-2010, 20:27
When is this much anticipated section hike shellanders ? The reason I'm asking , is that the summer was dry for the most part and the waterfalls might be lacking that "wow" factor .

shellanders
11-15-2010, 20:30
Spring '11 - sometime mid to late April or early May. Hoping rains and melting snow will make the waterfalls even prettier. If not, just going to see the views and the slower running waterfalls is still a treat. Besides, first real vacation for hubby and I in years.

Bags4266
11-15-2010, 20:31
Well you failed to read my post. The SNP is amazing. Just not on the AT! (Of course a matter of perspective) I saw almost every fall and scramble in the park and am not knocking that. I guess then you are venturing off the AT, hope you have a great time, you will see a lot of bears too.

shellanders
11-15-2010, 20:36
Bags, didn't mean offense. We will be doing both, travelling on the AT and venturing off for a few of the extras such as the waterfalls and the overlooks. Besides, being in the woods in that part of the country will be amazing for us. We love being in the woods anywhere we go and with it being springtime, the wildlife on the trail should be absolutely awesome.

Cookerhiker
11-15-2010, 20:37
Well don't want to bust your bubble but the AT through SNP is "Boring"... That said I been there other times to hike their "popular trails" and there fantastic with great views rock scrambles and water falls.

I guess boring is a matter of perspective, Bags. When you have never even been on the AT at all, never seen a true waterfall, or have never seen any of the mountains included in the AT; I am guessing, whatever we see will be amazing. The section of trail we are going on has 3 waterfalls that are over 60' high. Do you remember the first time you ever saw that? I am sure you felt as we do - excited.

SNP is not "boring" especially the time of year you're planning to hike. For one thing, you'll see lots of nice wildflowers especially if you lean towards the first half of May. Mid-April is when bloodroot should be out so you'll see something no matter when you begin. Secondly, you'll still have nice views because while the Shenandoah Valley will be green, the higher elevations along the Blue Ridge are still devoid of leaf cover until at least May 10 in a normal year. Thirdly if you want to make the time, you can hike on some of the side trails to gushing waterfalls flush with their spring runoff. One particularly nice trail is Jeremy's Run which begins at the Elk Wallow Picnic Ground in the North District. You get to rock-hop over the stream about a dozen times.

Sounds like a wonderful hike you have planned. Hope it goes well and keep checking in here at WB for any more questions.

johnnybgood
11-15-2010, 20:57
If you like a hike with waterfalls, don't miss Whiteoak Canyon.
This hike is an out and back of roughly 5.8 miles, but offers serious elevation gain/loss . Illustrated Topo Map 228 ; Map 10 , Appalachian Trails in SNP is the one to get for hike...
Whiteoak is plenty popular , unless you catch it mid-week --which would be ideal.

Blissful
11-16-2010, 19:47
SNP in fall and spring on the AT is awesome. In summer, boring, overgrown, and populated.

Daydream Believer
11-22-2010, 23:04
Not sure if this thread is still active but I was just up to SNP this weekend just hanging out and relaxing at Skyland Lodge with my husband and our two dogs (really missed backpacking). Anyway, the only lodge open now is Skyland and it closes on Nov. 28th. All the Waysides in the North (Elkwallow) and South (Loft Mtn) are closed as are the campgrounds in those districts. Big Meadow Campground was open but the Lodge there is closed. Everything opens back up April 1st.

I will say this was the quietest I've ever seen SNP...totally absent were the "hogs" or very LOUD motorcycles that go endlessly back and forth on Skyline drive all summer long. I did NOT miss the noise. Based on this weekend's relative peace and quiet there, I'd much prefer an off season section hike of SNP. The noise pollution from the Harleys' and bikers is very tiresome.

Hikerhead
11-22-2010, 23:33
Not sure if this thread is still active but I was just up to SNP this weekend just hanging out and relaxing at Skyland Lodge with my husband and our two dogs (really missed backpacking). Anyway, the only lodge open now is Skyland and it closes on Nov. 28th. All the Waysides in the North (Elkwallow) and South (Loft Mtn) are closed as are the campgrounds in those districts. Big Meadow Campground was open but the Lodge there is closed. Everything opens back up April 1st.

I will say this was the quietest I've ever seen SNP...totally absent were the "hogs" or very LOUD motorcycles that go endlessly back and forth on Skyline drive all summer long. I did NOT miss the noise. Based on this weekend's relative peace and quiet there, I'd much prefer an off season section hike of SNP. The noise pollution from the Harleys' and bikers is very tiresome.

Peace and quite sounds nice. And the gates for the Central District which included Skyland and Big Meadows are still open 24 hrs. The gates for the Southern and Northern districts are now closed at 5pm and open at 8am. The Central District will be the same as soon as Skyland closes down for the season. This has something to do with Poachers. I thought I was going to get caught inside the gates a few weeks back. I had a good talk with the Ranger while filling out my permit about what might happen if I did get locked in, she said to go to a gate and call the SNP emergency number listed on all of their maps/brochures and someone would come and let me out, after maybe 2 hours. Just something to be aware of.

chiefiepoo
11-22-2010, 23:53
For the OP and about waterfalls, White Oak canyon is great but be sure to take the Rose River trail loop for a view of several cascades and quiet pools. You have my permission to lie down on the big rock face I claim as my own piece of the park along the return uphill leg.

Lemni Skate
01-03-2011, 13:05
I spent 11 days hiking from Northern end of the park to Tye River. I never felt bored at all in Shenandoah and I was on the AT the whole way. I don't need big views at every turn. Still, I know what you mean. The scenery in Grayson Highlands is definitely more eye popping, but if you don't like the green tunnel, you probably don't like much of the AT.

Spider
01-06-2011, 20:18
I've hiked everything in SNP from a little south of Big Meadows to the northern point. I've used my copy of the Thru-Hiker's Handbook http://www.trailplace.com/. Other than that, I've used the AT maps you can buy at the ranger or entrance stations. They're very helpful for planning out your route and figuring out where to camp and such. Nothing is open during the winter season, but I've hiked there in the summer as well and have been able to stop at some Waysides along the way for a good lunch. Check out the SNP website for more information on restaurants and openings. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.