PDA

View Full Version : Un-Frequently asked questions

BigCheddar
11-15-2010, 05:21
What questions should I be asking and/or researching that don't get normally asked? What things should I prepare for that an average and reasonable thru-hiker hopeful doesn’t think about?

BrianLe
11-15-2010, 05:37
"What things should I prepare for that an average and reasonable thru-hiker hopeful doesn’t think about?"

Assuming a NOBO hike of the AT, I prepped by doing a lot of walking. In retrospect, I should have done more hill walking, or working out on the stairmaster at a health club, or just climbing a lot of stairs, something along that line.

If you read through the prep articles on this site and just poke around in various places (certainly to include this particular set of threads), I think you'll run into most of what you need.

The one related suggestion I might make is that if you possibly can, get most or all of your gear together early enough that you can do one or more fairly long distance shakedown trip, going solo for several days, at least, say, 50 miles or so. This will very possibly force some potential problems or issues, giving you time to deal with them. If you get very many or very significant issues coming up, then do another one. Rinse, lather, repeat.

I think that if would-be thru-hikers would do at least one good shakedown hike beforehand, their odds of staying on the trail would go up significantly.

10-K
11-15-2010, 06:08
One thing that I do not see talked about much is the mental preparation of just the daily grind of hiking.

My body could hike every trail in the USA - my mind on the other hand tires quickly of the monotony of hiking, day in and day out. A month and I'm ready to be done.

I've often thought a good thing for any potential long distance hiker would benefit from is walking on a treadmill 4 hours a day for a month just to get an idea of what it feels like to be bored out of your skull walking.

That's just me, YMMV.

Maddog
11-15-2010, 08:45
i agree with brian le and 10K...very sound advise. maddog

fiddlehead
11-15-2010, 08:49
I don't think i'd like that treadmill idea too much but "enjoying walking" is pretty important for a successful thru-hike and i rarely see people ask that question.

If you'd rather get in your pickup or car to go a few blocks to the store than walk, then you might want to reconsider a thru.

Blissful
11-15-2010, 09:29
If you'd rather get in your pickup or car to go a few blocks to the store than walk, then you might want to reconsider a thru.

This is a good observation. I know any walking I can do will help me for my future goals. And it's good for me too. I'll even make many trips up and down stairs carrying one item at a time.

garlic08
11-15-2010, 09:32
Ditto all the above. If you don't like actually walking a lot, all the time, chances are you won't enjoy a long walk. Like the folks who drive to the gym for a workout? Or those who sit in their car waiting for a better parking space at REI so they don't have to walk as far to get into the "outdoor store"?

A thru hike is a major commitment in time, resources, and energy. Months away from "normal" life, typically many thousands of dollars, gear and resupply problems to solve, plenty of muscle and skin problems. I think most non-hikers don't realize that most hikers aren't just wandering bums. The one question I never get asked is, "Is it worth it?"

4eyedbuzzard
11-15-2010, 09:36
Will I really enjoy hiking day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day?

After the thrill of starting this new adventure has worn off?

Pedaling Fool
11-15-2010, 09:39
Everything has been asked and asked and asked and asked and asked... and then asked again:)

The reason most people fail (which I assume is the reason you're asking -- so you don't fail). But the reason people fail is because of what 10K said -- boredom -- it's just that simple. Just got sick of it. They'll give a bunch of reasons and I can't prove one way or the other, but just have a feeling that most reasons are complete BS. They just got sick of it.

couscous
11-15-2010, 10:21
+1 for 10-K's comment about mental preparation. Off the trail we are bombarded with mental stimulation from different sights, sounds, smells and tastes. Once these are all removed the mind craves any stimulation. Most probably just hike and are happy to let their minds wander wherever. Some people fill this void by studying trees, plants, shrubs, constellations, birds, mammals, reptiles, fish, crustaceans, amphibians, insects or geologic features along the trail to give their mind things to identify while hiking. Some take mp3 players with music, audiobooks, or podcasts. Some frequently look at their maps, compass, guide book or GPS to mentally calculate distance traveled and remaining for the day. Some focus on weather conditions for the highest temp for the past 24 hours, lowest temp for the past 24 hours, and monitor the barometric pressure to get advance notice of approaching storms. Whatever works.

Spokes
11-15-2010, 10:31
Never ask the butcher how to cook the meat.

Mags
11-15-2010, 10:33
Makes sure you camp to hike.. as opposed to hiking to get to camp.

Sounds silly..but many would-be thru-hikers find they love spending time outdoors, just that they are campers first and hikers second.

Nothing wrong with that at all. But, a thru-hike is about walking, not camping. :)

RevLee
11-15-2010, 11:00
Train more in bad weather, not just the good. After this year's March snows, I wish I had done more camping in the snow and ice. For instance, I learned to always loosen your laces at night so you can still get your feet into your boots when they are frozen (they will thaw after the first mile). I also picked up a second set of glove liners at Neels Gap to make sure I had a dry pair in camp.

bigcranky
11-15-2010, 11:05
Lots of great questions here:

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/

Some answers, too, but mostly they ask the questions and let you find your own answers.

Spokes
11-15-2010, 13:21
Double Rainbow All the Way.......... What does it mean?

10-K
11-15-2010, 13:49
Ditto all the above. If you don't like actually walking a lot, all the time, chances are you won't enjoy a long walk. Like the folks who drive to the gym for a workout?"

In Wilmington I lived 3 miles from the gym so I would run up there, work out and run home.

I actually had a couple laugh out loud to my face about running to the gym to work out.....

Guess where they headed as soon as they walked in? Yep, the treadmill.

Big Dawg
11-15-2010, 14:01
Double Rainbow All the Way.......... What does it mean?

"what does this mean...... sob sob"

good one Spokes,,,, lmao!!

4shot
11-15-2010, 21:12
The question I tried to get answered but couldn't was....why did you fail to complete your thru-hike? It's easy to get answers from people who are thru-hikers as they are easy to seek out and meet. What was impossible is to meet or hear from those who don't finish. People will identify themselves as "thru-hikers" but not as "someone who tried a thru-hike but only got to X before getting off".

After doing a thru I believe people get off trail for one of 3 reasons - did not budget properly (poor planning), something happened outside of their control (illness, injury, home situation) or the trail was too difficult either physically or mentally. For me, the trail was much more difficult than I had anticipated. I had never seen it before outside of a day hike at Grayon Highlands and I think the books over-romanticize (is that even a word??) the experience.

I would strongly encourage meeting as many thru-hikers as you can before your trip. I did and the things I learned from them were invaluable, especially in dealing with the mental aspect of the hike. Good luck on your hike!

DapperD
11-15-2010, 21:26
What questions should I be asking and/or researching that don't get normally asked? What things should I prepare for that an average and reasonable thru-hiker hopeful doesn’t think about?In my opinion if you are going to attempt a thru-hike, the most important questions need to be asked not here or on any site but to yourself. Do I truly want to do a thru-hike? Am I mentally/physically capable of completing one? Do I have enough funds so that I don't run out of money before I can complete it? Can I handle the tough times (bad weather, repetitious trail life, injury, aches and pains, discomfort, etc...) and one question that I feel is among the most important: is everything OK at home and with the rest of your lifes priorities. Leaving for a 5 month trip like a thru-hike makes it pretty impossible to deal with issues on your homefront, with your significant other, etc....I think another big reason for people leaving trail besides boredom and repetition is not having important family business and other personal issues resolved and/or attended to once the trip gets underway:-?.

BigCheddar
11-15-2010, 21:26
Thanks for the advise, it's much appreciated. I have thought of the monotony of it and I consider this to one of my biggest challenges. I believe my body will adapt with time and barring injury or other outside interference I believe I can cope physically. I plan on doing as many long hikes as possible before my trip, Even doing a four to five day trail, then turning around and going back. There are not really any real long distances trail here in Alaska so I might have to be inventive. I just don’t want to be one of those who come on here and ask “What should I pack?”. I’m trying to ask original questions.

Old Spice
11-15-2010, 21:43
I got off because I ran out of money. Part of the reason I ran out of money is because I tried to solve the "boredom" of the trail the way I solved "boredom" at home: drinking. My time in towns became more and more frequent and more and more costly and ultimately cost me my dream.

My advice: If you have any life dominating issues, deal with them before you hike. I found out out the hard way that a 2000 mile walk wouldn't cure my alcoholism.

sbhikes
11-16-2010, 11:19
I love to walk. I put less than 500 miles on my car each year. I walk to the grocery store, to work, out to breakfast or the movies. I even started my 2009 section hike by walking to the Pacific Crest Trail. But I still got bored from all the walking on the trail.

I also like to be alone. I think I miss that most about the trail. I feel like regular life is a constant assault on my senses of noise and distraction and angry, mean and unpleasant people. I feel bombarded. The solitude is what kept me going on the trail.

If you like walking and solitude it will help. But I still got really tired of walking all day every day. After a while I really really missed all the different things I do in regular life each day. I think next time I would try to discipline myself more to do something else besides just walk all day. I didn't stop enough. I literally walked continuously from the time I packed my gear until the time I unpacked it. I would eat as I walked. I should have stopped at more lakes and vistas.

4shot
11-16-2010, 13:42
I got off because I ran out of money. Part of the reason I ran out of money is because I tried to solve the "boredom" of the trail the way I solved "boredom" at home: drinking. My time in towns became more and more frequent and more and more costly and ultimately cost me my dream.

some people just could not make themselves leave towns and would stay several days. This gets expensive in a hurry. Bottom line life is easier, more comfortable and perhaps more fun in town but IF a person continually puts off hiking to stay in town then they really aren't interested (maybe committed is better choice of words) in doing a thru-hike. So what is often described as a budget problem is indeed something else. I hiked a bit with one guy in SNP who had blown his budget before HF! He spent alot of time in towns - he said he liked the trail but didn't enjoy backpacking (huh?).Naturally he did not finish.

I respect Old Spice for his candor here. To the OP, if you want to finish minimize the time in towns. Otherwise budgeting isn't that big of an issue - you can spend less $ per day on the trail than at home assuming you have no "fixed costs" at home to deal with. Again, good luck.

sbhikes
11-16-2010, 13:57
I liked towns. I liked being clean and eating. But I realized I didn't like hotels. So I learned ways to minimize paying to sleep and maximize being clean and eating. Town doesn't always have to be super expensive.

DapperD
11-16-2010, 19:36
some people just could not make themselves leave towns and would stay several days. This gets expensive in a hurry. Bottom line life is easier, more comfortable and perhaps more fun in town but IF a person continually puts off hiking to stay in town then they really aren't interested (maybe committed is better choice of words) in doing a thru-hike. So what is often described as a budget problem is indeed something else.I think that maybe a lot of people believe they want to do a thru-hike, and very much leave/begin with the intention of doing just that. Sometimes though thinking about doing something like a thru-hike and then actually attempting one teaches us that what we thought we wanted to do does not equate to the reality of the situation:-?. In my opinion if someone sets out to do a thru-hike and then decides they like the town and social aspects of the trip more than hiking and they don't complete a thru-hike, but only make it part of the way but have a great time doing that, then I wouldn't say they have failed their trip but were successful. It's all what we decide to do once the trip is underway. If we get out there and decide it's all about completing a thru, and that is our desire, then that most likely will be what we will wind up doing. It's all about priorities.

Johnny Thunder
11-16-2010, 19:56
I liked towns. I liked being clean and eating. But I realized I didn't like hotels. So I learned ways to minimize paying to sleep and maximize being clean and eating. Town doesn't always have to be super expensive.

agreed. good food and being clean. that's what town became for me.

so i was happy that i decided to carry a tent that was big enough to zero in (tt rainbow) and a waterbag that was big enough to shower from.

with the weight addition of maybe two ounces for the waterbag (over a smaller size) and maybe 6 ounces on the tent (compared to a lighter model) i probably saved myself a couple hundred dollars by not ever feeling the NEED to run into town.

sbhikes
11-16-2010, 22:15
agreed. good food and being clean. that's what town became for me.

so i was happy that i decided to carry a tent that was big enough to zero in (tt rainbow) and a waterbag that was big enough to shower from.

with the weight addition of maybe two ounces for the waterbag (over a smaller size) and maybe 6 ounces on the tent (compared to a lighter model) i probably saved myself a couple hundred dollars by not ever feeling the NEED to run into town.
Yeah, I had a Pocket Shower. It's basically a dry bag with a nozzle at the bottom. Stuff bag for my sleeping bag and a shower all in one. I'm sure people thought I was nuts washing my hair in the middle of town. Oh well. I also pitched my tent in town. Unspoken agreement among the homeless: I don't see you, you don't see me.

leaftye
11-16-2010, 22:22
What are the different types of chafing that can occur and how are they prevented?

Johnny Thunder
11-16-2010, 22:36
What are the different types of chafing that can occur and how are they prevented?

most all chafing is fungal infections. sure there is the initial abbrasion but your skin is actually very good at repairing minor injuries as long as the area is clean. a good anti fungal works. toflunate (spelling?) is the usual stuff in footpowder/spray. vagisil works, too. that's another chemical but i forget what it is.

the chafe gets really bad for folks in mid-virginia heading north since there are fewer obvious town/hostels/hotels at which to shower and get clean.

4shot
11-16-2010, 22:52
In my opinion if someone sets out to do a thru-hike and then decides they like the town and social aspects of the trip more than hiking and they don't complete a thru-hike, but only make it part of the way but have a great time doing that, then I wouldn't say they have failed their trip but were successful. It's all what we decide to do once the trip is underway. If we get out there and decide it's all about completing a thru, and that is our desire, then that most likely will be what we will wind up doing. It's all about priorities.

I avoid words like "success" or "fail" vis-a-vis a thru-hike attempt but look at Old Spice's words...his time in towns "cost me my dream". To me, that certainly implies regret. Do I like towns? yes. Do I like town food and cold beer and air conditioning? Oh heck yes. Showers and clean laundry and people who smell good ? love 'em.

But at some point, you have to realize that all these things are there waiting for you at the end of the hike in abundance. To me, a person has their entire lifetime to enjoy the benefits of town but realistically most of us only get one or maybe two chances to complete a thru-hike. Sure there are ill-prepared people who set out on a thru-hike on a whim but for many of the people I met it was something we had dreamed of and planned for for a long time.Towns are like candy, tobacco or alcohol...good only in moderation (if you want to complete your hike).

I am making the assumption that the original poster is serious about completing his hike since he is doing this kind of research upfront, which I think is critical. Too many focus solely on the "essential gear list" or "pack weight" which is THE least important aspect of being prepared for a thru-hike.

leaftye
11-16-2010, 23:40
most all chafing is fungal infections. sure there is the initial abbrasion but your skin is actually very good at repairing minor injuries as long as the area is clean. a good anti fungal works. toflunate (spelling?) is the usual stuff in footpowder/spray. vagisil works, too. that's another chemical but i forget what it is.

the chafe gets really bad for folks in mid-virginia heading north since there are fewer obvious town/hostels/hotels at which to shower and get clean.

So you have one type of chafing covered. Overweight hikers like me know that chafing cannot be avoided simply by being clean. Being overweight creates at least 4 types of chafing.

DapperD
11-17-2010, 00:42
I think that maybe a lot of people believe they want to do a thru-hike, and very much leave/begin with the intention of doing just that. Sometimes though thinking about doing something like a thru-hike and then actually attempting one teaches us that what we thought we wanted to do does not equate to the reality of the situation:-?. In my opinion if someone sets out to do a thru-hike and then decides they like the town and social aspects of the trip more than hiking and they don't complete a thru-hike, but only make it part of the way but have a great time doing that, then I wouldn't say they have failed their trip but were successful. It's all what we decide to do once the trip is underway. If we get out there and decide it's all about completing a thru, and that is our desire, then that most likely will be what we will wind up doing. It's all about priorities.

I avoid words like "success" or "fail" vis-a-vis a thru-hike attempt but look at Old Spice's words...his time in towns "cost me my dream". To me, that certainly implies regret. Do I like towns? yes. Do I like town food and cold beer and air conditioning? Oh heck yes. Showers and clean laundry and people who smell good ? love 'em.

But at some point, you have to realize that all these things are there waiting for you at the end of the hike in abundance. To me, a person has their entire lifetime to enjoy the benefits of town but realistically most of us only get one or maybe two chances to complete a thru-hike. Sure there are ill-prepared people who set out on a thru-hike on a whim but for many of the people I met it was something we had dreamed of and planned for for a long time.Towns are like candy, tobacco or alcohol...good only in moderation (if you want to complete your hike).

I am making the assumption that the original poster is serious about completing his hike since he is doing this kind of research upfront, which I think is critical. Too many focus solely on the "essential gear list" or "pack weight" which is THE least important aspect of being prepared for a thru-hike.Don't get me wrong, I completely understand what you are saying in regards to spending too much time in towns, say relaxing, drinking, etc...and not enough time actually hiking the trail. There is no doubt that in order to thru-hike in one season one is going to have to be disciplined enough in order to spend the majority of the time on the trail hiking and moving toward their goal of finishing. There was another thread where the subject of partying on the trail was being discussed and I posted that I didn't feel that too many people who are heavy chronic partyers (smokers and drinkers) and who are going to be partying all the time in my opinion are probably not going to be successful in hiking the trail in one season due to the fact that too much partying will sap one of their energy levels which are needed in abundance if one is going to thru-hike successfully. I think the fellow who couldn't turn the drink off while venturing into towns while on his thru-hike and now laments how it caused his thru-hike dream to fail needs to realize this. One can spend some time in town or have a few drinks but as you say a level of commitment to hiking must be there or one is not going to be successful. What I was originally saying was that if by will a person decides to party all the time and only do part of the trail but winds up being happy and having enjoyed whatever amount that they did do even though they didn't complete it , then I would have to say then that they were successful for themselves. If one is filled with regret afterward, then they obviousely don't feel they did as well as they could have and then they need to attempt to ascertain as to why they failed and attempt to make better choices with regards to other goals that they set forth to achieve in the future for themselves.

TheChop
11-17-2010, 00:52
So you have one type of chafing covered. Overweight hikers like me know that chafing cannot be avoided simply by being clean. Being overweight creates at least 4 types of chafing.

Correct underwear. Seriously. If your bare thighs are rubbing together you're going to have major issues. You want boxer briefs that are tight and longish so they keep a layer of material between your rubbing skin. Boxers don't do the trick. I had a pair of underarmor type underwear (although I think the brand was Russell) it covered my thighs but the material itself was very synthetic feeling not soft at all and caused major issues the one day I wore them.

A buddy of mine who is heavy went out on a little day hike and said he was miserable. Ordered a nice $40 pair of boxer briefs made of wool and his problems went away.

Johnny Thunder
11-17-2010, 01:17

obviously, you're right there. sorry, i wrote half of my response and then had to leave for lunch. i think someone else mentioned before that there are ways to alleviate the friction issues. go with it until you find something that works.

if you find that your chafing persists through many different means of control i suggest you take a trip the allergist and get a scratch test done. gluten allergies often present as below the waist rashes similar to eczema and can be made worse by rubbing. your body might be able to fight it at home but a few days of working yourself to exhaustion followed by sleeping in the cold might just overdo it.

leaftye
11-17-2010, 01:27
Okay, I'll answer my own question. Yes, being dry and clean can help prevent chafing infection. That's not the kind I'm really concerned about though. I'm concerned about the kind that can turn clean dry skin into a bloody mess in a few hours. Literally. Not just read and irritated, but road rash bloody.

So the four types I mentioned... These are all in and around the crotch. The first is caused by the inner thighs touching below the groin. The second is to either side of the pubic mound. The third is the taint, although that's more of an indian burn than chafing. The fourth is on the anus and seems very similar to hemorrhoids. Oh, there's a fifth. The outer edge of the butt crack.

I never had any of these when I was lean. I had all of these when I was my fattest. Like 40% body fat. These are going away as I slim down. As TheChop mentioned, boxer briefs can easily handle inner thigh chafing. It doesn't do much for the other types. Slathering the affected areas with powders and lubricants is a temporary solution at best. Hopefully next hiking season I will be back down near 10% body fat and find that all my chafing problems are gone again.

As for boxer briefs, I've only found that a 9" inseam is long enough to stay down. Until now I've only owned Underarmor. Recently I found that Champion (C9) also sells a fully synthetic 9" inseam boxer brief. I just need to lose a couple more inches around my waist before I can use them. At Target they're less than half the price of Underarmor.

leaftye
11-17-2010, 01:32
Johnny, I'm glad you responded anyway. Next year I want to continue exploring chafing with a much slimmer body. My hope is that I don't find the type of chafing you're talking about, but I'd much rather deal with that than the chafing caused by morbid obesity. I still hike fairly frequently, but the character and extent of my hikes are severely limited by chafing. I would probably be hiking 50% faster and further if I wasn't dealing with chafing.

Big Dawg
11-17-2010, 08:47
use Bodyglide, & you won't chafe... anywhere.

Spokes
11-17-2010, 09:24

I agree BigDawg. I removed the whole bar from the container and carried it in a ziplock (Thanks Winton!). Every morning I would rub a dab on my feet or other affected area- never got any foot blisters or chaffing the entire thru.

Red Hat
11-17-2010, 09:33
spokes weighs about 100 lbs dripping wet...no chaffing, lol

leaftye
11-17-2010, 13:34

Like I said, it's very temporary. It can be effective against most types of chafing if applied every quarter mile, but it's a hassle for a 20+ mile day. It doesn't do a thing against at least one type of chafing.

Iron Will
11-17-2010, 21:16
ive gone from 280+ to under 200 then came back up to where im currently around 290 lbs

i too have chaffing issues from obesity but did NOT have them when i was thinner and wearing my exofficio boxer briefs which are AMAZING!!! but less effective at my currents weight cause they ride up and just skin rubbing skin can cause chaffing

i am about 5'8'' so i should weigh no more than 180 at the high end of average

i hope to lose alot of weight on my thru this upcoming march!!

chiefduffy
11-18-2010, 02:40
Like I said, it's very temporary. It can be effective against most types of chafing if applied every quarter mile, but it's a hassle for a 20+ mile day. It doesn't do a thing against at least one type of chafing.

Not my experience at all. Applied once or twice a day, I had no problems for a 280 mile section with many 20+ mile days.

leaftye
11-18-2010, 04:55
Once or twice a day may be enough if your chafing problem isn't that severe. The most severe chafing problems seem to be among us grossly morbidly obese. Are you one of us? Where exactly did you experience this chafing?

One of the main reasons I bring up the ties of obesity and chafing is that the two are very strongly linked and appears to be much different in cause and severity to that experienced by lean hikers. I lose weight quickly, so soon I should know if the chafing I feel is completely due to obesity will totally go away with weight loss.

Big Dawg
11-18-2010, 10:47

good laugh,, thanks! Seriously though, once... maybe twice a day is plenty for a 15 to 20 mile day. I use it on multiple areas. If there's chafing/blisters to be had anywhere on the body, then Bodyglide will resolve the issue. And I know... I'm a big guy, and morbidly obese among doctors guidelines. I carry it well because I'm tall, but there are some "areas" that need bodyglide attention b/c of my,,, uhhh,,,, rolls.

robconr
11-28-2010, 18:17
bodyglide+ synthetic boxer briefs
-in regards to reapplying: As soon as you notice ANY discomfort (depends on the weather/individual) IMMEDIATELY reapply, once you start chafing I don't know of anything to fix the problem. Prevention!!

Johnny Thunder
11-28-2010, 20:17
oh yeah...thanks for finding this b/c i was reminded of another abrasion-related factor.

sweat.

when salt dries it becomes crystal. crystals are abrasive until they dissolve. so if you don't clean yourself off after a sweaty day the next morning you're grinding sand paper in between the cheeks until you get a good sweat going.

Hikerhead
11-28-2010, 20:32
oh yeah...thanks for finding this b/c i was reminded of another abrasion-related factor.

sweat.

when salt dries it becomes crystal. crystals are abrasive until they dissolve. so if you don't clean yourself off after a sweaty day the next morning you're grinding sand paper in between the cheeks until you get a good sweat going.

Bingo. That will solve most chafing problems. As soon as you feel a burn, stop and wash up a bit and that should take care of it.

Half Note
12-04-2010, 00:34
I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere on the site but I just can't find it so I thought I'd post here rather than making a new thread.

I want to avoid spending a lot of money so I am curious to know how much is a typical hostel?

Dogwood
12-04-2010, 02:18
Ask yourself and seek an honest realistic answer about how well you adapt or can quite possibly learn to adapt to long term living outside of your current comfort zone. I guarantee you no matter how well informed you think you are or how many questions you ask about thru-hiking or how well prepared you think you are for thru-hiking YOU WILL BE FACED WITH HAVING TO ADAPT TO CONDITIONS OUTSIDE OF YOUR CURRENT COMFORT ZONE and UNTIL YOU EXPERIENCE IT and UNTIL YOU ADAPT HAPPILY TO THOSE CHANGES YOU WILL NOT KNOW HOW YOU WILL RESPOND TO THEM BY DISCUSSING IT ON THE INTERNET! Some folks handle these changes better than others. Some don't and decide to go back home to the perceived comfort of the known!

Dogwood
12-04-2010, 02:23
....IF a person continually puts off hiking to stay in town then they really aren't interested (maybe committed is better choice of words) in doing a thru-hike. So what is often described as a budget problem is indeed something else.... - 4shot

Good observation!

darkage
12-04-2010, 04:46
bodyglide+ synthetic boxer briefs
-in regards to reapplying: As soon as you notice ANY discomfort (depends on the weather/individual) IMMEDIATELY reapply, once you start chafing I don't know of anything to fix the problem. Prevention!!

Works for me, and i do JUST that ... bodyglide and UA compression boxer's do the job nicely, lets me do those 15+ miles a day for a few days before i need a rest. Longest hikes i've been able too do so far are 3 weeks straight, and at the end of those 3 weeks i wish i had another 3 weeks ... If you hike early enough and move along at a steady pace you can get in your miles and camp time ... as long as i'm out in the woods, i don't get bored with the grind ... every corner, change of sounds and scenary ... people you meet along the way, chance of seeing wildlife, coming upon things you've never seen or known ... "did i mention the trail people are awesome people" .... if you get bored grab a battery operated mp3 player, use a cell phone with netflix enabled at hostile/town breaks for a quick TV/Movie fix ... then back to the love of nature for more walking. Personally when i get my chance too thru in 2012 i'm not worried at all about the grind, i'll just be happy too have the time too spend with nature. 6 months of leaving the concrete jungle. Man, i can't wait!

stranger
12-04-2010, 08:59
The boredom thing is real...I always experience this. I can walk 500 miles in my sleep, but this seems to be my threshold. After this I tend to get bored, this has happened 3 times, on shorter hikes I never get bored.

In terms of advice, I would strongly recommend the following:
- bring more money than you are planning on bringing
- learn about Lyme Disease
- do not underestimate the pain of chafing, get educated on this
- believe half of what you see, none of what you hear
- take the blue blaze into Hampton

Have a great hike!

4shot
12-04-2010, 16:38
YOU WILL BE FACED WITH HAVING TO ADAPT TO CONDITIONS OUTSIDE OF YOUR CURRENT COMFORT ZONE and UNTIL YOU EXPERIENCE IT and UNTIL YOU ADAPT HAPPILY TO THOSE CHANGES YOU WILL NOT KNOW HOW YOU WILL RESPOND TO THEM BY DISCUSSING IT ON THE INTERNET!

except for the one word I underlined in your quote above. I don't think it is necessarily critical that you need to adapt happily (although it is of course preferred).I never, ever was happy about hiking or setting up/taking down camp in the rain, in fact my rain "tolerance" got worse rather than better as the trip went on - although I did realize that the rain did improve our chances of finding water. Now a shower during the night when I was in my tent - that was nice! Other than that I totally agree that the ability to either adapt or endure outside of one's current comfort zone is of paramount importance to completing a thru-hike.