PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking to set up some trail magic in late June 2011 and need advise

BigCheddar
11-15-2010, 05:37
I'm planning a road trip form Miami, Fl to my home in Wasilla, AK. I will be in Tennessee in late June early July (2011) and was thinking of finding a good place to setting up some trail magic. I just don't think that most thru-hikers will be in that area at that time. How far north would I have to go to set up for thru-hikers in that time of year? Where would be a good place to set up where it would really benefit everyone (as in somewhere that towns or services are far away)? I plan on offering hot food and hot showers with a portable camp shower. Is there any items (food, drink, or item) that would be a rare and useful gift? Hopefully something that would not normally be offered as trail magic.

Deerleg
11-15-2010, 09:11
You may have a few NB thru-hikers in central and northern Va but most will be north of Harper's Ferry. There's always going to be chunkers, a few SB thru-hikers and section hikers in the south. Places like Whyah Bald in Nantahala National Forest in NC don't get a lot of attention, maybe around MaxPatch N of I40 (north of the Smokies and south of Hot Springs). It's kind of a gamble though as that time of year it could be a little thin. All great places to hike and your likely to run into someone that would appreciate your hospitality.

Blissful
11-15-2010, 09:24
Have to go to PA / NY.

Cookerhiker
11-15-2010, 09:48
I've done trail magic twice in early summer: Shenandoah NP, Central District in mid-June and Gathland State Park in MD late June. On the latter, I served 17 thruhikers.