PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito net needed? May 1st in NC/TN?

The Counselor
11-15-2010, 10:39
Going to be hammocking north of GSMNP the first week in May. Do I need a mosquito net ? Other bug issues?

Mizirlou
11-15-2010, 11:06
Counselor, I can’t speak to May in NC but bugs & insects are omnipresent in the woods, as you already know by your topic inquiring about them. Ants are my bugaboo. Jeez I hate when they drop from a tree and leave a pimple bite wherever choose to crawl. Got one on the private parts once that made hiking a pain in the a r s e.

TheTwanger
01-15-2011, 14:11
Perhaps it's that I'm accustomed to our bugs, but I rarely ever find myself making preparations to avoid bugs here in TN. The exception is ticks, but I also wouldn't imagine them being too bad as early May is still kind of chilly.

johnnyblisters
01-16-2011, 14:24
When hanging, I really like to always have a bug net (partially removable) for ventilation on sticky nights and as a wind break on the cold ones.

Stir Fry
01-16-2011, 20:45
You will have bugs ants, and mosqitos in May at the lower elevations. The shelters above 2,000 ft. will be ok untill June. So just look at where you will stay and decide.

Ashevillian
01-16-2011, 22:18
I would say it depends on an early spring. But with the winters we've been having I'd say you will be safe without the net.