PDA

View Full Version : Best footwear for big guy with big pack

TheYoungOne
11-15-2010, 15:05
I am planning a 5 day hike in the spring in another rocky AT area in PA. I'm probably going to be carrying around 46lb total in my pack. The last time I carried 38lb my feet were killing me and I felt every rock on the trail. I weigh 220 and I think my lightweight hiking boots and my trail runners will not cut it this time.

I was considering getting Danner hiking boots or Vasque boots

pjkirk
11-15-2010, 17:47
If you're feeling rocks, I'd make sure there's a shank in whatever boots you do get.

45lbs doesn't necessitate anything too crazy. Stiffer sole, more boot-like style and hi-top style to help w/ stability imo. Just make sure it's plenty comfortable.

Blissful
11-15-2010, 21:20
I'd cut the pack weight personally. That is really heavy.
Also, what kind of insoles? They can make a big difference too

fredmugs
11-16-2010, 17:49
Get some Shock Blocker inserts. They are by far the most comfortable inserts I have used but they do not have any heel cup support like the Superfeet do.

Personally I would stick with the trail runners. Comfort seems to work better for me than anything else. I wore Merrill trail runners with a wide width and shock blocker insoles through the Whites this summer and I was much better off than when I hiked thru PA with my heavy LL Bean boots.

leaftye
11-16-2010, 19:20
I've worn a very heavy pack with super light racing flats and with traditional leather boots. The main difference was that I had to take hourly breaks to cool off my feet when I was wearing the leather boots. The next biggest difference is that I can ascend much faster with lightweight shoes. After that was my clumsy toe stubbing problem. I was 215+ lbs and my pack was probably 60 lbs.

I actually like feeling the rocks. They seem to massage my feet and cause less pain at the end of the day. That is, less pain when my feet aren't strong enough yet. I don't seem to get much or any foot pain now...maybe a bit of tightness.

Toolshed
11-16-2010, 21:24
So I hike a lot in PA, and although for the AT I mostly switched to NB Trailrunners around 01-02, I still don my boots for weekend trips and Imust admit, having a stiff sole platform for walking over sharp rocks is a blessing.
46 isheavy by today's standard, but not so much for 10 years ago, or if you are using BP gear that is 10-20 years old.

Since I do like to wear both, I cannot help you with your decision, but I would recommend that you forget about boot brand and spend some time at REI on Conshohocken or take a trip to Campmor (or another local outfitter) and spend a few hours really trying on various footwear to find the one that is the lightest that will get the job done, but also feels most comfortable. (It will be the pair you keep going back to after you try other pairs that don't feel as good.
It's like sliding into a kayak - At first it feels uncomfortably tight but after a few hours, snugness is your friend.

Tinker
11-16-2010, 22:39
I'd cut the pack weight personally. That is really heavy.
Also, what kind of insoles? They can make a big difference too

Ditto for the pack weight. I did the 50+ mile section between Shippensburg and Duncannon last month. I carried all my food, no resupply (though I did have a nice breakfast at Boiling Springs). I carried a hammock and tarp, alcohol stove and ti cookset, 1lb. water filter, necessary clothes, and 1-1/2 liter of water to start. Total weight (including clothing worn) 35 lbs. Temps went down into the low 30's (frost in valley near Boiling Springs) and I stayed warm enough. My shoes were a bit light for the rocks (not even really bad there). I usually wear trail runners with a very thin sole and orthotics out of a pair of old Chaco boots (yes, they made them for a while). I will probably look for low top trail hikers (fabric) for the rest of Pa.
Footwear is hard to recommend. Feet are like snowflakes - no two are the same.
Find something that fits and has a fairly stiff but well padded midsole.

Montana
11-16-2010, 23:25
If you were feeling every rock at the end of the day, then you probably just had a pair of crappy shoes. A good hiking boot has a stiff sole. Just grab the boot by its toe and heel and push them together. If you don't get much flex, and the boot feels good on your feet, then you may have found your pair.

If the store has a ramp (what good shoe store doesn't?), make sure that you test how the boot performs while going up and down the ramp. You don't want your heel to lift up, and you don't want your toes getting crammed in. If they do, either try a different sized boot, or lacing technique.

chelko
11-18-2010, 13:03
I feel your pain. Being larger than the average backpacker (6'3" 290lbs) my feet can take a beating. What works best for me with my big ass and a 30+ lb pack is a good boot. The ones I have now are the best boorts I have had in years, they are Kayland Contact Revs. I had a pair of L.L. Bean Speed Guides several years ago (also made by Kayland) and they were just as good but no longer available. My son (6'2" 250 lbs) swears by Vasque Sundowners but he has very flat feet.

CrumbSnatcher
11-18-2010, 14:33
1999 i wore montrail moraines(heavy mid-weights?) and had blisters quite often, too stubborn to stop and take care of them :)
and after awhile one of the boots shrunk from being wet and drying too often(might of been to close to the fire?) around damascus i took the insole out and my foot just sat on top of the hard checkered patterned plastic in the bottom of the boot,allowing more room, my foot felt alot better! i hiked the rest of the way to big k like this. i know that sounds crazy.
starting in 2001 or so i started wearing chaco sandels and have never changed, i have not had blisters since. helps to have strong ankles i suppose? i have always used a kelty external and carried all my dogs food, gear and supplies in my pack.i am a big guy too, and pack weight has really never concerned me. the sandels have a stiffer sole than trail runners but not as restricting as boots, ramming sticks between the sandel and foot sucks and is a hole different ballgame/situation :) good luck findind something that works for you. gotta have good tires to keep the pontiac rollin'

QiWiz
11-21-2010, 17:59
As one big guy to another, work on a lighter pack, not the footwear. Your feet will thank you. For five days, you could easily get under 30 pounds total pack weight, under 25 if you work at it.