PDA

View Full Version : made my first super cat

SQWERL
11-15-2010, 16:48
i know this has been beaten to death, but i pretty proud of my self :banana!! now to build the wind screen as it is taken way to long to boil water. it is ever so slightly breezy and raining outside so off to the hardware store for a few parts.

sbhikes
11-15-2010, 17:47
Feels good, doesn't it? I find it only enhances the great feeling of backpacking to do things that come from your pioneer spirit. The more self-sufficient, the better.

Spokes
11-15-2010, 18:27
You'll be cookin' biscuits before long!

RGB
11-15-2010, 18:31
Nice! I don't understand why someone would want anything more than a Cat. Simple, light, practical, cheap, durable. I don't even use a windscreen; I can always manage to find a good spot after trial and error.

Big Dawg
11-15-2010, 18:47
I've made many stoves, but the supercat is still my favorite, and the one I primarily use on hikes. Congrats!

Rocket Jones
11-15-2010, 20:53
I use a KMart greasepot on my SuperCat and got the windscreen material at the same time. In the kitchen area, look for oven spill trays. Thin aluminum, can cut with a scissors and use the hole punch along the bottom edge. Mine is long enough to go around the pot with a little lip on each side that I clamp shut with a binder clip. It rolls up and fits in my pot too.

Tinker
11-16-2010, 23:47
Here's the perfect accessory for your stove:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/titanium-foil-windscreen.html
Price has gone up since 2005 when I bought mine. Still going strong. Use two small paper clips to adjust it to proper size to match the pot being used.

amac
11-17-2010, 04:50
That's pretty expensive ($19 !!) for something that can be made for pennies. Just sayin'.

SQWERL
11-17-2010, 14:35
thanks for the replies guys. that titanium wind screen looks awesome, but low on the funds so i'm thinking about taking some coke cans apart and bolting them together with some wingnuts and punching holes in the bottom. or an old coffee can. gonna experimant and see which one i like.

Big Dawg
11-17-2010, 16:55
thanks for the replies guys. that titanium wind screen looks awesome, but low on the funds so i'm thinking about taking some coke cans apart and bolting them together with some wingnuts and punching holes in the bottom. or an old coffee can. gonna experimant and see which one i like.

Another material to use is the cheap disposable roast pans at grocery stores.

I've always made my windscreen w/ holes at the bottom only half way around. If it's windy, I put the side w/ no holes toward the wind so that my stove is more efficient and not effected by the wind. I've always wondered why the windscreen at backpackinglight.com had holes all the way around. Maybe there's a reason I'm unaware of?

Bags4266
11-17-2010, 17:25
Wow, that Ti is trick. I used to use the drip trays, however while lighter they wear out quick on me when using a binder clip. I now use alum. flashing cut to desire. It's slightly heavier but much stronger. Its also easy to punch holes in w/ a hole punch.

zelph
11-19-2010, 09:37
Supercat is one of my favorites:) Nice choice for first time stove.

The adventure begins:)

TallShark
11-19-2010, 14:22
What's wrong with aluminium foil?

Big Dawg
11-19-2010, 18:29
What's wrong with aluminium foil?

too thin & flimsy for me...