PDA

View Full Version : Kilt hiking.....

MedicineMan
11-21-2002, 02:25
I looked for a gear review section knowing it is here somewhere but couldnt find it so sorry if this is the wrong place...
Took Trail Yeti's advice and coughed up the dough (85$) for the Mountain Hardware Kilt....and used it for the first time on this last section....
all I can say boys/men is that the Scots and women in general had this figured out a long time ago! It is abs. comfortable. I did wear fleece shorts under the kilt since the temps were 32 and below. The kilt ends just a little above where my gaitors end so little skin was exposed...my legs have never felt cold anyway....bottom line is comfort, no chafing, good coverage, and def. a garment you can easily forget you are wearing, no backpack/pant conflict. On the drive to the Fontana area we stopped at EarthFare in Asheville for dinner...so many earthy people there no one noticed my kilt! Now the girlfriend had to get her chiding in and every now and then reminded me that I look good in a skirt...and next week I will wear it along with a sporan when I play the pipes for a kindergarden in our area...only complaint is the 85$---a hellava price to pay for not so much material--if I could only sew.

The Weasel
11-21-2002, 09:26
Yeah, but if you look at the Mountain Hardware kilt and how thoughtfully it is made, you're paying for a lot more than just material. Damn, it is probably the best engineered piece of clothing I've ever had.

The Weasel

Trail Yeti
11-21-2002, 16:28
Weasel is right...it is a lot of money but it is very well made.
With that said, Welcome to the "MACHO KILTED HIKER CLAN"!!!
Glad you like it. And as for your girlfriend....she'll admit it sooner or later...chicks dig kilts!!

Lone Wolf
11-21-2002, 16:38
2 years ago hiking up to Dragon's tooth, about 95deg., I had oven ass and chafe so freakin bad I woulda paid 1000 bucks for one of them kilts! I was walkin extremely bow-legged. The pain was miserable. Hell I'm half Scottish and look a little like Braveheart so a kilt would suit me good.

The Weasel
11-22-2002, 02:57
Lone Wolf --- Of course you'd look good in a kilt; your'e a Scot. It's only the Sassenachs that are afraid to wear them! Ach, ye bairns feared of a nice kilt!

The Weasel

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 23:53
2 years ago hiking up to Dragon's tooth, about 95deg., I had oven ass and chafe so freakin bad I woulda paid 1000 bucks for one of them kilts! I was walkin extremely bow-legged. The pain was miserable. Hell I'm half Scottish and look a little like Braveheart so a kilt would suit me good.

betch would look good in one too. :)

Rockhound
09-02-2009, 00:18
I think this should go on the top of the "things I never thought Lone Wolf would say" list. Next thing you know he'll be growing dreads, playing in a drum circle and playing with hula hoops.

skinewmexico
09-02-2009, 12:06
I love my MH kilt. Really handy if you can find a floor A/C vent on a hot day.

Jim Adams
09-02-2009, 12:19
I have 3 different brands and they all work great. Be a man and hike in a kilt or chafe and walk like a chimp!:)

geek

lazy river road
09-02-2009, 12:25
http://www.altrec.com/mountain-hardwear/mens-mountain-kilt they have the kilts for 46$. I may just have to buy one...i have the mt hardwear zip off pants and love them and may ad this piece of clothing as my second or first go to on a trial

A-Train
09-02-2009, 14:21

See kids, Wolf did use to hike:D

toegem
09-02-2009, 14:30
http://www.altrec.com/mountain-hardwear/mens-mountain-kilt they have the kilts for 46$. I may just have to buy one...i have the mt hardwear zip off pants and love them and may ad this piece of clothing as my second or first go to on a trial
I just pulled the trigger on one been thinking about getting one for sometime now and this thread inspired me. Save some $$$ check here http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_28_62_123_136&products_id=6090

OldStormcrow
09-02-2009, 14:33
The "boys" and I be lovin' my new utilikilt!

Jester2000
09-02-2009, 15:26
If you paid $85 you got robbed. I have them on my website for $30.00.

Red Hat
09-02-2009, 15:36
I love mine, too. All the ladies skirts were too short, but my Mountain Hardware Kilt is perfect. I found mine on sale for $45 last spring and couldn't resist. Not just men wear them.

Jim Adams
09-02-2009, 15:39

Jester,
What website?

geek

dmax
09-02-2009, 15:42
Has anybody tried the rain wrap from ula? I was think'n of making something like this to replace my rain pants.

Jester2000
09-02-2009, 16:37
Jester,
What website?

geek

I don't want to be seen as using whiteblaze for advertising purposes, so I usually don't mention it. It's at www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com

Jim Adams
09-02-2009, 16:49
I don't want to be seen as using whiteblaze for advertising purposes, so I usually don't mention it. It's at www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com (http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com)

Thanks! I've known you as a fellow hiker for quite a few years and had no idea. I quess the main topic when we've been together has always been beer.:D
Thanks again,

geek

Jester2000
09-02-2009, 17:16
Thanks! I've known you as a fellow hiker for quite a few years and had no idea. I quess the main topic when we've been together has always been beer.:D
Thanks again,

geek

No problem! I've only been working at The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry since February, so it's not like you've been unaware for years or anything.

For everyone, you may want to know that Mountain Hardwear has redesigned the Mountain Kilt for 2010. It's a darker color, has two cargo pockets instead of one (but no smaller left-hand front pocket), metal snaps instead of the plastic clips, and is pleated in the back. I've attached some photos taken in August at the EORA gear convention of Krispy Kritter wearing one. In the background of the second shot you can see Kevin Kaiser, owner of Grand Trunk Hammocks.

Jim Adams
09-02-2009, 17:26
Jester,
Looks nice. You know me....do they make them in "ROUND" size?

geek

Jester2000
09-02-2009, 17:29
Jester,
Looks nice. You know me....do they make them in "ROUND" size?

geek

Hahaha! I don't know what the sizing on the new ones will be. It's my experience that they run a bit smaller than they claim. By their sizing I should fit into a medium, but I'm more comfortable in a large.

Jim Adams
09-02-2009, 18:02
Hahaha! I don't know what the sizing on the new ones will be. It's my experience that they run a bit smaller than they claim. By their sizing I should fit into a medium, but I'm more comfortable in a large.

Looking for a "rotund".:D

geek

beas
09-02-2009, 23:06
cant find the 2010 model anywhere on the net??? Will that be offered at $30 also? I have 3 kilts now. 1 for hiking and other outdoors stuff that beinga sport kilt, the second for just lounging or leisure from stilwater kilts and the third is a nicer kilt for dress and day to day wear from stillwater. I really would like a lighter kilt such as the Mountain hardware for hiking in the South but the light color and no pleats turned me away. I felt like that kilt should have an aligator on it like an Izod preppy school girl. However I like the 2 pocket version with pleats.
can you point me in the right direction of the 2010 model Jester?

Thanks, BEAS

lazy river road
09-03-2009, 08:46
Jester im with beas where can i find the 2010 version, im in the process of buying gear bc im new to over night trips and have decided that this is a must have in my pack for hikeing, it seems much more comfortable then the MT hardwear convertable pants I have been wearing on hikes....

Chaco Taco
09-03-2009, 10:16
No problem! I've only been working at The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry since February, so it's not like you've been unaware for years or anything.

For everyone, you may want to know that Mountain Hardwear has redesigned the Mountain Kilt for 2010. It's a darker color, has two cargo pockets instead of one (but no smaller left-hand front pocket), metal snaps instead of the plastic clips, and is pleated in the back. I've attached some photos taken in August at the EORA gear convention of Krispy Kritter wearing one. In the background of the second shot you can see Kevin Kaiser, owner of Grand Trunk Hammocks.

I love the Mtn Hardware Kilt. Bought mine in Daleville and never looked back. I like the new design.

Jester2000
09-03-2009, 10:32
As far as I'm aware the 2010 model won't be available until the Spring. I couldn't find any version of the kilt on the Mountain Hardwear site, so they may have taken the older version down in anticipation of the new release. I also don't know what the pricing will be yet. Note that the new kilt is only pleated in the back.

beas
09-03-2009, 12:07
That would be the only place for pleats other wise it would be a cheerleading skirt.
BEAS

Jester2000
09-03-2009, 12:44
That would be the only place for pleats other wise it would be a cheerleading skirt.
BEAS

hahahahahahahahahaha!

High Altitude
09-03-2009, 13:44
Has anybody tried the rain wrap from ula? I was think'n of making something like this to replace my rain pants.

I use one. It works great. Packs small, light weight, easy to put on and comfortable. Perfect for 3 season use.

brooklynkayak
09-03-2009, 13:52
I ordered mine. I'd been holding out cuz I thought they were too expensive.

lazy river road
09-03-2009, 14:01
im tempted to order one now ($30 sounds pretty cheap) but i fear the new design will be pretty expensive but i like the double cargo pockets and the pleats in the new one...what are advantages too having pleats or are they just for astetic purposes... what to do what to do....are their any estimated prices on the new model

Jester2000
09-03-2009, 14:14
im tempted to order one now ($30 sounds pretty cheap) but i fear the new design will be pretty expensive but i like the double cargo pockets and the pleats in the new one...what are advantages too having pleats or are they just for astetic purposes... what to do what to do....are their any estimated prices on the new model

Partiall aesthetic, but partially for range of movement. The older design has clips and straps on either side that can be lengthened out for when you're hiking and need more leg stretch, or tightened if you're just walking around. The new design has the pleats in the back, which allow for leg stretch. The clips and straps (no longer needed) are replaced with metal snaps.

JJJ
09-03-2009, 16:39
I like Utilikits, I wear mine about everywhere except work.
For outdoors, the ONLY drawback being cotton + rain = no fun, but even there I push the limits.
Mt Hardware has the right idea, but pleats would look a little better and insulate for what its worth.
This year I sprung for an ancient style kilt, even has the "Braveheart" tartan, it's really just 25" x 8yds of wool.
A little scratchy at first but we're getting use to each other.
I find it comfortable and practical days and nights outdoors

An empty shelter makes a good spot to get the pleats going too. :)
http://i28.tinypic.com/qnw8l4.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/5x8m6d.jpg

Jester2000
09-03-2009, 17:04
Now THAT'S a kilt.

Tin Man
09-03-2009, 17:12
I like Utilikits, I wear mine about everywhere except work.
For outdoors, the ONLY drawback being cotton + rain = no fun, but even there I push the limits.
Mt Hardware has the right idea, but pleats would look a little better and insulate for what its worth.
This year I sprung for an ancient style kilt, even has the "Braveheart" tartan, it's really just 25" x 8yds of wool.
A little scratchy at first but we're getting use to each other.
I find it comfortable and practical days and nights outdoors

An empty shelter makes a good spot to get the pleats going too. :)

ah, hmm, what's does he think he is doing with that poor innocent pony?

Mrs Baggins
09-03-2009, 19:09

Keyword: "Little" like Braveheart. :rolleyes: Men in kilts. We're going to the Virginia Scottish Games this Saturday......100s of men in kilts........any man in a kilt is not going to be doing the wrong thing..........:D

brian039
09-03-2009, 20:49
I wouldn't recommend wearing a kilt in the South. They might be comfortable, but they just look too much like a man-skirt.

Hoop Time
09-03-2009, 22:07
I think this should go on the top of the "things I never thought Lone Wolf would say" list. Next thing you know he'll be growing dreads, playing in a drum circle and playing with hula hoops.

And digging Jerry?

Wise Old Owl
09-03-2009, 22:08

Wheres the Whargy pleates?:rolleyes:

lazy river road
09-03-2009, 22:24
Thanks Jester I think im gonna order this model from your store for price sakes, and then wait to see how much the new model cost, if its not to expensive i may just have to buy a second one, what would be suggested for wearing a kilt in cold weather just putting on long nylon underwear or are they not cold weather condusive...that may seem like an obv. question but im new to overnight backpacking and am trying to learn as much as possible even just little simple things...i cant wait to get out for my first nights trip

beas
09-03-2009, 22:40
Sport kilt makes a hiker version that I really like but it is $80. Very light material. It comes in 3 diferent tartans ( the stripes for those of you that are not kilties). I am waiting to see if I have won their hiking photo contest.
As far as need for longunderwear, it is very surprising how much warmth you get out of a kilt. Many days in the low 30s no issue with me. you could always put on the long johns or even biking tights. I have given consideration wearing my bike leggins, they are the legs of tights no waist area you know legg warmers of lycra. That may be some picture there.

Reminds me of a great story if you have time to read>>>>
I was wearing the leg warmers under the bike shorts as bikers always do. I had ridden to the gym for a off bike racing season weight session. I was in the locker room and had taken my shorts off leaving nothing but my black leg warmers and my black bike socks. Really looked as if I was wearing some black thigh high lingere. A gentleman walked into the lockerroom and took one look at me and left. I just about fell over the lockerroom bench.

Now that is funny right there

cavscout
09-04-2009, 00:56
This is great to see. For now I'll stick with my Poly viscose or Poly Cotton Rip-Stop kilts for hiking but once the pleated mountain kilt is out I'll definitely give it a consideration.

lazy river road
09-04-2009, 11:12
beas that some great info....im gonna order the mt hardwear kilt this weekend $30 just seems like to good of a deal to pass up....and if were trading Gym stories I got one for you

Last year I was in the locker room I had finished my work out, took my shower as usual...went over to my locker and was drying off....the man next to me was wearing nothing and I was drying off and he turned too me and said "hey arent you my son's teacher" he then proceeded to put out his hand to shake mine. It was a naked hand shake with one of my kids parents...really embarssing expically when I had to call him in for a meeting the next week. He kinda just smile at me.

Jester2000
09-04-2009, 11:20
For hiking in the fall I've never really had a problem with cold while wearing mine, although I do wear underwear (which I don't wear in the summertime). I usually wear full sized gaiters, so there's not much skin showing. 'Cause I'm such a modest guy.

BobM
09-06-2010, 10:47
I wouldn't recommend wearing a kilt in the South. They might be comfortable, but they just look too much like a man-skirt.

I don't know about that. I have been all over the southern appalachains and have never, not once, had any kind of problem. Come to think of it, it has been at least ten years since I wore anything else on the trail.

will1972
09-06-2010, 11:17
A lot of Scottish heritage in the south. You might get an occasional look but I doubt many that would even notice. First impression is just a man in a kilt, nothing more. I've been wanting to get one for a while maybe now is the time.

perrito
09-06-2010, 11:20
Has anyone ever done the whole AT in a klit?

JAK
09-06-2010, 11:39
This year I sprung for an ancient style kilt, even has the "Braveheart" tartan, it's really just 25" x 8yds of wool. A little scratchy at first but we're getting use to each other. I find it comfortable and practical days and nights outdoors. An empty shelter makes a good spot to get the pleats going too. :)
http://i28.tinypic.com/qnw8l4.jpg

How much does it weigh?
What was it like for sleeping in. Temp Rating?

Smile
09-06-2010, 12:22
My hiking buddy just got one a month ago, and wore it out on several trips - said the sweat and chafing was really uncomfortable, he had to put on bike shorts to hike any further.

What was he doing wrong, he does not have a laptop, so figured I'd ask for him.

He's about 6'2," not overweight and not a huge 'sweater'. He is also not, a scot.

JAK
09-06-2010, 14:17
If you are going regimental in a woolen kilt,
you should probably be wearing some sort of a long shirt.

Jonnycat
09-06-2010, 14:52
They certainly look cool, but mosquitos and biting flies (not to mention dust) already taught me to wear pants.

And speaking of pants, a thin pair of light colored supplex pants, and thin synthetic drawers are a good way to stay cool and dry down there.

As for chafing, the most effective method I have found is to use the above-mentioned pant/drawer combination, along with a liberal application of cornstarch-based baby powder, and body glide.

Of course, being attentive to hygeine and keeping one's self clean is paramount, regardless of whatever strategy one uses.

Still, they do look cool.

Luddite
09-06-2010, 15:17
Wouldn't Scottish people get offended seeing a non-scottish person wearing a kilt?

Trailbender
09-06-2010, 15:58

Many Scotsmen and Irishmen had dreads. On the topic, I have found that wearing women's underwear helps with chafing a lot. They also feel really sexy.

Smile
09-06-2010, 16:54
As for chafing, the most effective method I have found is to use the above-mentioned pant/drawer combination, along with a liberal application of cornstarch-based baby powder, and body glide.

Do you use these together? I thought the glide was kinda 'gooey' but slick?

yari
09-06-2010, 20:38

Ok, that's hot. I'ld ****** a guy wearing that.

Sorry if that is offensive to anyone, I am new here and it just occured to me that that statement might be a bit strong for this board. It was a reaction thing, I wasn't referring to anyone particular, just saying. But, I am going to stand by it. :lol:

Jonnycat
09-06-2010, 20:55
Do you use these together? I thought the glide was kinda 'gooey' but slick?

Indeed; first the bodyglide, then I dust up. I have thought that maybe I don't need the bodyglide, but I haven't had any issues since I started doing it that way, and I'm too chicken to experiment.

sbhikes
09-06-2010, 22:32
I found a nice hiking skirt (for a woman) at the thrift store yesterday. It has kilt-like qualities. I was surprised how nice it is to hike in a skirt. It's just like shorts only better.

Kilts look really good on many guys, as long as there are pleats. Without pleats it starts to look a little too skirt-like.

JAK
09-06-2010, 23:50
Pleated skirts look great on women also, especially field hockey players and such. They just look wicked healthy and outdoorsy. Doesn't get any sexier than that.

JAK
09-07-2010, 00:12
I would like to investigate a bit more what sort of temperature rating you might achieve using wool and some light shell compared to synthetic or down sleeping bags or quilts. I know its heavier, but is it twice as heavy or three times as heavy or what? If you couldn't use batt or down insulation, what would be the best way to combine fleece and wool clothing and blankets into some sort of a system, say for the 20F to 40F range, which can involve wet and dry conditions, often mixed. Also I think with this sort of a system using a small fire becomes more useful, especially for extending such a system down towards 0F. I don't think the thick Point type blankets are neccessarily the way to go. I think looser knit wool, and fleece, and then some sort of a light wind shell, might be a better way to go. For underneath, probably blue foam pads, but again I wonder if the right weight of blanket and a light ground sheet might work almost as well and be more versatile. Might depend on ground cover, wet or dry, bare or with spruce branches available. Whatever.

JAK
09-07-2010, 00:20
It would be neat to see a couple of dudes dressed as highlanders on mantracker. They wouldn't need backpacks. I think that is the real strength of the Rob Roy thing is that you can crash anywhere and bug out in less than a minute when needed. Maybe some sort of a sack for some food or whatever.

Del Q
09-07-2010, 08:15
OK, just ordered mine, still tentative on this move, chafing is an issue and it certainly detracts from the outdoor hiking experience. Off next Thursday, new one for me, hiking in a skirt, I mean a kilt. Mel Gibson watch out............AT hikers are after you!

JAK
09-07-2010, 08:38
Be sure to wear some underwear, or a long shirt.

JAK
09-07-2010, 09:04
I haven't hiked with a kilt, but I did hike with some wool blankets, to see how they performed as an alternative to a sleeping bag and foam pad. I liked the versatility in terms of being able to sit on them and wear them over you when sitting at a small campfire. They were also fun to wear or carry in various ways while hiking. They did not perform well for their weight as sleeping gear though. Hard to get good even coverage. A light nylon cover overtop and underneath as a windshell and groundsheet makes a huge improvement, and makes it alot easier, but it still would some thinking to get some sort of combined clothing/sleeping system like a woolen kilt and/or woolen poncho to be reasonably competive with conventional systems using quilts or sleeping bags separate from your clothing. For a fairer comparison though, I think a modern kilt/poncho system would need to be developed to a higher level, and then compared under different conditions.

One of the strenghts of wool also is how it works so well with campfires. Campfires should not always be neccessary, but they could be a means of extending the range of a woolen sleep/clothing system, for the extreme conditions you might encounter. The campfire itself might also be improved somehow, with a lightweight reflector and groundpad for example, so that it could be smaller and easier to build and maintain, and to use much less fuel. It should only be used to extend a system to the lower end of what you expect on a trip, conditions you might only encounter perhaps 5-10% or less. but that would allow you to have a system that weighs less, working without a fire to say 30F or 20F, and with a fire to perhaps 10F or 0F, when you get hit with the lower end of what you planned for. That might save a pound or two, but would really only work in wooded environments, and where small campfires are environmentally appropriate.

If nothing else some sort of hybrid system might come out of it, involving perhaps a woolen kilt and woolen poncho, some additional wool and fleece clothing layers, and some sort of overquilt that might also convert to some sort of long quilted hooded overcoat for moving or sitting around in extreme dry cold conditions.

Texico
09-09-2010, 21:55
I have the Elkommando Kilt by Mountain Hardwear and the only problem I have with it is that it's probably going to be too cold to wear it in the winter. Other than that (because there's no way I'm going to wear knee-high gaiters) I abso-freakin-lutely love the kilt. I live in GA and work for an outdoor outfitter and I even wear the kilt to work. I'm hoping to eventually buy a Utilikilt Mocker.

Hiking in my kilt beats the **** out of hiking in my nylon shorts and pants. I do wear ExOfficio boxer-briefs with the kilt most of the time. I also make sure to use Body Glide because living in the humid south east sucks. I miss the south west...

But yeah, my kilt is much more comfortable than my shorts.

Del Q
09-10-2010, 06:33
If I get shot on the trail, please remember me. My section hikes are bringing me further to the "south". Ready to try mine on in the privacy of my home office, VA on Thursday. I think that this will be more comfortable than hiking shorts, and yes, I will wear underwear................most of the time.

..............stay tuned.

Marta
09-10-2010, 06:42
If I get shot on the trail...

Best way to avoid that, south or north, is to wear lots of blaze orange.

JAK
09-10-2010, 07:22
A blaze orange kilt. Now that would be different.

Stir Fry
09-10-2010, 14:04

Went to the site and was going to buy but they were $52.

Jester2000
09-10-2010, 14:10
Went to the site and was going to buy but they were $52.

That post was from more than a year ago. I don't even work there anymore.

JAK
09-10-2010, 14:38
I think a wool kilt will still work in winter. I do most of my winter hiking and skiing in shorts, bare knees at least half the time. One pair of knee socks helps when its cold and windy or snowy. I wear long underwear or 200wt fleece under my shorts if its cold enough and I don't see why I couldn't do that with a kilt. Maybe not the 200wt fleece.

JAK
09-10-2010, 14:44
The kilt would go down to just below the knee in winter, I should think. Also, I think there is some room for adjustment, just above or just below, as you see fit for the day. That would be if it were a traditional kilt just held together with your belt. If it were a great kilt you could drop it down even further if you needed to on cold days, although that would leave less up top for draping. Not being too stuck on tradition, except the ancient tradition of innovation and adaptation, I think I would like to try combining a simple blanket type woven or knit poncho for my top half, with a simple pleated kilt for my bottom half. Also, the gortex bivy I have might also double as some sort of hooded wind/rain shell, in the form of a cape. It might also be the pack cover though, so I still need to work some ideas out. I do like the idea of combining clothing and sleep systems though.

JAK
09-10-2010, 14:48
Some folks worry about the weight of great kilts, but I am not sure if they were always as heavy as some might think. Also, they do not always have to be woven as tightly as you see in modern dress kilts today. In ancient times I would think they would be woven more primitively and loosely. For keeping the rain out you could always have a separate cape of tighter weave, and today you could use nylon for that of course.

Stir Fry
09-10-2010, 15:50
that post was from more than a year ago. I don't even work there anymore.
my bad, i saw that after i sent it.

Del Q
09-10-2010, 22:04
KILT UPDATE

Just received mine today, wearing it now, SUPER COMFORTABLE, outfitter in Harper's Ferry is what I found online, and on sale!

Leave Thursday for 115 mile section hike in VA, I think that I am sold.

Mountain Hardwear is a great company, quality gear all around.

Sugarfoot
09-11-2010, 10:14
I wore the Mountain Hardware Kilt for years and really loved it until a few years ago when I hiked the Chattooga River Trail in Georgia with a friend. This is the steep ravine where Deliverance was filmed. On the second morning, we went through a fishing camp populated by a few good ol' boys drinking beer. There wasn't an albino banjo player among them, but I definitely attracted stares. We picked up our pace and went quite a ways before taking a break. Haven't worn the kilt since.

Del Q
09-11-2010, 10:47
Hiked this morning, VERY COMFORTABLE, I am pretty big, any gives me dirty looks might find a hiking pole up their ____________.

Packing today for VA section hike, kilt is going with me............shorts will sit this one out.

JAK
09-11-2010, 12:01
I think the best colour for not attracting too much attention might be basic black.
It would have the advantage to of drying out faster in the sun, but might not be so great in hot weather, but then again with the sun more directly overhead black would not be so bad. Does Mountain Hardware make one in wool?

KnittingMelissa
09-12-2010, 03:40
Some folks worry about the weight of great kilts, but I am not sure if they were always as heavy as some might think. Also, they do not always have to be woven as tightly as you see in modern dress kilts today. In ancient times I would think they would be woven more primitively and loosely. For keeping the rain out you could always have a separate cape of tighter weave, and today you could use nylon for that of course.

A traditional great kilt is going to be heavier, but it does have added benefits when worn in cold weather hiking (it's not intended for hot weather hiking): it can double as a blanket easily if you need more coverage at night. It can also be a wrap while sitting around the campfire, and it's just nice to wear and hike in.

I do advise good kilt hose with them, though, just to finish off the look. A few places sell them, but I suggest finding someone who knows how to knit and begging for a few goods pairs, hand knit socks are always far superior to anything you buy in a store. For a while it was shameful to have to wear store bought socks in Scotland because it meant no one loved you enough to knit you socks.:D

JAK
09-12-2010, 09:12
KnittingMelissa,

Here is something that has me curious...
knitting vs weaving
more specifically wool kilts vs wool sweaters.

I love both. I read a little of the history of both in Scotland. Apparently knitting was introduced to europe through the arab world, and to britain via spain. Got popular in Scotland in the 15th century particularly for fishermen, where knit sweaters of british wool perform very well. Now you sometimes see wool sweaters combined with plaid kilts and pleated skirts, which is very functional for hiking. What surprises me is that there doesn't seem to be much of a tradition for knit wool sweaters in the highlands, or lowlands for that matter, away from the sea, until fairly modern times. More specifically knit wool sweaters didn't seem to enter military use until WWII. Wondering why.

Anyhow, here is my question.
Which do you think would be warmest for their weight?
1. knit wool blanket vs woven wool blanket ?
2. knit wool poncho vs woven wool poncho ?
3. short kilt + heavy sweater vs great kilt and light sweater ?
Consider also that a nylon wind or rain shell could be used with of the above.

Thoughts?

JAK
09-12-2010, 09:18
I have one pair of knit socks. They are awesome. The wool was a bit too soft though. I will get a pair knit with a better suited Briggs&Little wool. Maybe I should try socks myself next. So far I only do scarves and neck tubes. lol.

As a child in scotland my mother knit wool socks and mitts for the war effort. She started knitting socks for the Helsinki Fund, for the Finns against the Russians, and then later for the Allies including the Russians. Interesting story eh.

tlap
09-12-2010, 10:14
KnittingMelissa,

knitting vs weaving

I love both. I read a little of the history of both in Scotland. Apparently knitting was introduced to europe through the arab world, and to britain via spain. Got popular in Scotland in the 15th century particularly for fishermen, where knit sweaters of british wool perform very well. Now you sometimes see wool sweaters combined with plaid kilts and pleated skirts, which is very functional for hiking. What surprises me is that there doesn't seem to be much of a tradition for knit wool sweaters in the highlands, or lowlands for that matter, away from the sea, until fairly modern times. More specifically knit wool sweaters didn't seem to enter military use until WWII. Wondering why.

Thoughts?

I can't resist chiming in on this one, since I knit, weave and spin wool. Just like the modern fibers that we wear, warmth comes from the loftiness of the fiber. Knitting better preserves the loftiness, and also creates more pockets of air between the yarns. Woven fabric is more wind resistant, but I believe that knitted is warmer.

Woven fabric is more abrasion resistant than knitting, and can be produced more quickly. Knitting machines are a much more modern development than looms. These may be the determining factors in why woven fabric was used more than knitted.

JAK
09-12-2010, 11:34
Interesting. Thanks for that tlap. Quite true about knitting machines for blankets and such being modern. Hadn't thought of that. It probably isn't that no-one might have thought of it a hundred years ago or more, just that looms could be made more easily than knitting machines.

I think I agree about knit wool being warmer for its weight, under a wind shell especially, perhaps even without a wind shell. I have noticed that wool can be woven looser, and knit tighter, so there is perhaps some overlap, but in general I think knit wool should be warmer. I still like the idea of thin woven wool for a semi-windproof shell layer because of the way it drapes and sheds some water and snow, and captures and releases water vapour. Particularly in very cold conditions like sub-zero F such shells might be better than nylon because they don't ice up so completely. It's hard to find 100% wool in fabric stores, like the kind you can get made into suits, and when you do they seem alot more pricey than perhaps they should be. Finished clothing is often found cheaper. Alas. Maybe I need to make a primitive loom. Or maybe get some army surplus wool scarves or thrift store pant legs and sew them together into a cape or kilt. :)

KnittingMelissa
09-12-2010, 16:18
KnittingMelissa,

knitting vs weaving

Thoughts?

The history of knitting is actually quite unknown, but it was in Europe in the 14th century (there are paintings of 'Knitting Madonas' to confirm it, though no surviving material), and you can trace knitting through many different channels. Arabic knitting is much different than European knitting, and Naalbinding (a practice older than knitting) could be one source of this difference. But Scotland does have some of the most beautiful knitting traditions (Unst has its famous lace, and the lower parts of the Fair Isles, where they, too, have beautiful colorworking).

As tlap pointed out, woven fabric is more wind resistant, but knit fabric has a higher warmth because of loft. So, while both are great, they both also have much different uses.

A great kilt is fun, but it is heavy and awkward for overnight camping because of how the pleats are folded, so it would be better to just use a modern kilt with a heavy weight wool sweater. But, if you're just day hiking, or have access to an area to spread out a great kilt to do the pleating each morning, it is very warm. Both need traditional kilt hose, though. ;)

That said, sweaters take a long time to knit. A week each if you're fast and that's all you're doing (I've done it, and had sore fingers to show for it), which is why you don't start seeing them show up in massive amounts until modern knitting machines are around. It's one thing to have a few soldiers wearing sweaters that family members knit for them, it's another to make them a part of a uniform.

Also, it should be pointed out, that not all wool is equal. Different wool from different breeds of sheep has different qualities. I prefer a good, solid Shetland wool for heavy wearing socks and sweaters because, while it is rougher, it has better stick and wears much longer. Merino is the most common form of wool, and it is nice wool, but I usually use it for finer projects or cheap lace (good lace is cashmere/silk, but one doesn't wear lace while hiking to begin with), or socks I wear around town. My hiking socks may not all be the softest things in the world, but they are warm (which is nice, considering that I hike in WY in the winter).

JAK
09-12-2010, 17:11
My mother knit me quite a few sweaters. She was wicked fast, but they were alot of work. One of the ironies of knitting is that a really light wool sweater would take even longer to knit that a medium or heavy weight ski sweater. I am wearing a medium weight sweater now as we speak, so to speak. It was made in Prince Edward Island at a small cottage industry place that makes its own wool, but as you suggested it was made with a knitting machine and then knit together at the seams. The shoulder detail is somewhat unique, similar to what I have seen with Guernsey sweaters. That place made awesome blankets also, but I didn't have the money. I think they would be warmer than a woven blanket, but it would be interesting to see some scientific test results.

Interesting quality of wool of course is the way it manages moisture, and thus has the capacity to capture and recover water vapour. This can effectively raise its insulation value by 20%, as long as you have an opportunity to let it dry out later, like mid day when the sun is out or when you are producing more body heat. That is the real advantage I think, is that it can act as some sort of thermal flywheel.

Hard to get hard numbers, because everyone seems to have their own way of fudging the numbers and interpreting the science. Sleeping bags for example, you should be able to get a clo value of 6 with only an inch of loft, so why are 2" and 3" of loft neccessary. I think it must be because alot more air flows into and out of the insulation, or into and out of the sleeping bag or clothing, than most people assume. This is where wool is underestimated the most I believe. A wool blanket might still be heavier than a down sleeping bag, but I don't think a wool blanket would have to be nearly as thick as a down or synthetic sleeping bag. Also, with a wool blanket I think you would get way, at least for one night, with using a completely air tight shell over top, as long as you still had a place to breath. Similarly with rain gear. With a wool sweater, it can be totally waterproof and wind proof, at least for a few hours, as long as you will have an opportunity to let it breathe again. In winter I like the way ice crytals form on the outside, and shed off, like from the fur coat of a wolf, or the wool of a sheep for that matter.