PDA

View Full Version : Equinox "Katahdin" UL Backpack

IndianaDave
12-13-2004, 09:22
HeyHiker'z,

Any body have experience with the new version of Equinox "Katahdin" UL Backpack?

It's a bit pricey at $105 but appears very comfortable for it's capacity and weight.

For those of you who aren't familiar ,,, www.vargooutdoors.com (http://www.vargooutdoors.com/)

ThruHikerWannaBe
IndianaDave

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 09:31
Looks like a similar design idea to the Gearskin. I haven't played with that particular pack, but my concerns would be fit (the Gearskin is a custom fit) the sil-nylon pannel, I would like bigger mesh storage areas, and the fact that there are only 3 compression straps - the load on the buckles could be more, and the size and placement might lead to a top and bottom bulge of gear.

tlbj6142
12-13-2004, 11:23
I own one. Bought it on ebay for ~$70. I think someone regularlly sells them for that price on ebay. Take a look. Somewhere around here I have a post in which I detail the pack.

I'll dig around for it, but the most important question is what is your torso length? The pack has a very limited amount of adjustment in that regards. I have an 18.5" torso and found the pack a bit too tall. I eventually removed and re-attached (my first sewing project) the shoulderstraps down about 1.5" to make the pack 100% more comfortable for me.

Also, I think there is a newer version of this pack availble that has a bit less volume. Might be worth looking at as I find the pack rather large.

tlbj6142
12-13-2004, 12:14
I can't find my old post. Troll do you only keeps a year's worth of old posts?

Anyway here is my short list of pros/cons on the pack....

Pros:

Light weight. 26oz on my scale. There are lighter packs. But this is a respectable weight.
Excellent compression for smaller volumes. The straps also make for a great drying rack.
I love the small side zippered pockets. While some reviewers found them too small and/or difficult to use (because the main pack gear restricts their volume), I didn't have this issue. They are perfect to hold AM, head lamp, handcleaner, maps, tp, etc. But not something like sunglasses or a camera.
The shoulder straps and the hipbelt are very, very well paded and quite comfy.
Cons:

Drawstring top. I don't use a pack cover, so I'd like the top to do its best to limit the amount of water entering the pack. Though this is not really an issue. See #2.
The back of the pack is some sort of stiff mesh. So water has no problems entering, or leaving, the pack. You cannot wear this pack next to skin as you'll most certainly end up with a nasty rug burn from the pack. I also suspect the material will cause an early death to your base layer on a thru-hike. IOW, plan on buying a new shirt at somepoint along the trail.
The back sags/crimples a bit just above the waistbelt attachment point. Sometimes I think this led to a bit of discomfort, but I'm not real sure.
I think the pack volume is a bit too big. But as the compression straps do an excellent job of reducting volume, its not a real concern.
The back is a bit wide. Not sure why, but this bugs me a bit.
I think a couple of these "issues" have been resolved in with the newer, smaller, version of the pack.

The pack has proved to be quite durable. I've used it on several weekend trips with my young childern. I typically end up carrying all of the gear at somepoint on the trip. Probaby more than 40#. Now, I have added a "framesheet" pocket (~7oz) which provide excellent support for such loads.

Any particular questions?

neo
12-13-2004, 13:31
i bought mine for 79 bucks,i love it,my favorite long distance hiking pack,great hip belt and suspension,i removed the sterum strap,trimmed excess off all staps,now wieghs 1 lb and 8 oz,great pack.:clap :bse :jump :banana