PDA

View Full Version : The Georgia Challenge in 24 hours

Torque
11-15-2010, 17:32
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone trying to hike the whole AT section in Georgia in one day. It is 76 miles, which puts the average hiking speed over at 3 miles an hour including breaks. This seems quite possible. I am presently hiking Southbound and it would be a big challenge for the finish at Springer. Winter hiking is my main worry considering my lack of experience with it.

Thoughts?

-Babyface SOBO 2010, presently in Damascus

Luddite
11-15-2010, 17:38
Thats crazy lol. I hiked Georgia and thought it was really tough. It sounds impossible to ME, but you've just hiked most of the AT. I bet it could be done. It might not be too cold...you plan on getting there in about a month?

Pedaling Fool
11-15-2010, 17:40
I'm almost positive this has already been done.

ChinMusic
11-15-2010, 18:34
White Blaze's own Phreak has done it NOBO, with pack.

Karl Meltzer did it just last year SOBO, supported.

Blissful
11-15-2010, 20:50
Would be easy for a SOBOer for sure.

Phreak
11-15-2010, 21:04
I did the GA section in 22 hr 11 min with a 24 pound pack.

Red Hat
11-15-2010, 21:08
Go for it, Babyface! Glad to see you are doing well. Cool meeting you at the gathering!

ChinMusic
11-15-2010, 21:24
Would be easy for a SOBOer for sure.

Easy???? I not a thru but I can't imagine it being "easy" for all but the elite, and even then.........

Lone Wolf
11-15-2010, 21:35
Easy???? I not a thru but I can't imagine it being "easy" for all but the elite, and even then.........

i did 40 into damascus in under 12 hours. it was easy. i ain't elite. for a 23 year old in awesome shape to do 70 plus his last day is totally doable. georgia is easy

Blissful
11-15-2010, 23:11
The mtns in GA were easy for me as a SOBOer. I could put on 20 plus miles, which was norm. For NOBOS...not likely

Rainman
11-17-2010, 13:21
If you do cover Georgia in less than 24 hours, i suggest going back to see what you missed in the dark. There are some really beautiful parts that would make a second time through in the light well worth it.

Torque
11-25-2010, 11:26
Thank you all for your input! Its encouraging to hear that it has been done before.

I will be getting to Georgia around Dec 10th. I have hiked over 50 miles in 24 hours with a full pack three times on my thru-hike so far. I feel confident that I could do it as long as I do not have snow. I will probably slack pack it though for fear of injury. I do not wish to hurt myself right before Springer.

ChinMusic
11-25-2010, 13:34
Go for it. Let us know if you found it "easy".

Skippy
11-25-2010, 19:18
I did the GA section in 22 hr 11 min with a 24 pound pack.

That is incredible! especially wearing a backpack.

stranger
11-25-2010, 20:58
I agree it's certainly achievable, especially considering all the motivation you will have to finish, and obviously in peak physical condition, etc...

I know a number of hikers who have covered distances around 70 miles in a relatively continuous manner before, but not 24 hours. In 2001 I hiked with a guy who hiked from Port Clinton to DWG in about 40 hours, with a few naps here and there.

I agree that Georgia is overrated and relatively easy, however 76 miles in one day is huge...good luck and congrats in advance!

PS if you do this have someone waiting at Big Stamp Gap with some goodies, I have a feeling you won't want to hike another 8 miles down to the visitors center ha.

10-K
11-25-2010, 23:50
If you slackpack you can definitely do it. Start early and make sure you've got fresh batteries in your headlamp because it's going to be dark before 5:30...

Spogatz
11-26-2010, 00:33
White Blaze's own Phreak has done it NOBO, with pack.

Karl Meltzer did it just last year SOBO, supported.

Karl took a day and 1/2 to do Georgia but did continue trough the night.

Phreak
11-27-2010, 20:31
I agree that Georgia is overrated and relatively easy, however 76 miles in one day is huge...good luck and congrats in advance!
Agreed. The only people who would suggest 76 miles in under 24 hours is easy are those who have never done it before. It's definitely doable but not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Sierra Echo
11-27-2010, 20:33
If you slackpack you can definitely do it. Start early and make sure you've got fresh batteries in your headlamp because it's going to be dark before 5:30...

can someone explain the difference between slackpacking and backpacking? i know how stupid that makes me sound!

Egads
11-27-2010, 20:43
can someone explain the difference between slackpacking and backpacking? i know how stupid that makes me sound!

Slackpacking is hiking w/o the heavy pack.

Sierra Echo
11-27-2010, 20:49
Slackpacking is hiking w/o the heavy pack.

Thank you :)

Skidsteer
11-27-2010, 20:52
Thank you :)

Kinda like dayhiking with someone dropping you off and/or picking you up.

Torque
12-20-2010, 23:11
Well I guess I need to update what happened to my plans. It was the snow in the Smokies that did me in. I crossed my fingers that snow wouldn't come and ran up there in my trail runners and froze my feet for three days straight. Then I froze them for a few more days before I got to the Georgia border. I called it off after hiking from the NOC to Franklin through a fresh foot of snow. My feet just hurt too much after that and I knew it was impossible to do it in my current condition. I went through a little depression phase partially because I wasn't going to do the challenge and partially because my journey was ending. In the end I'm glad I didn't attempt it because I would have hurt myself further. I had a great time staying at Neels Gap with Pirate and his crew. Oh and that ice blizzard would have been very dangerous if I was exhausted, without my gear, and without any hiking partners. I finished December 12th with my hiking family. An amazing journey came to an end on a snowy freezing mountain.

-Babyface

ChinMusic
12-21-2010, 01:14
Thanks for the update Babyface and congrats on your hike. You did great.

rapchizzle
12-28-2010, 11:38
That's a bold attempt. It does seem like a good way to finish it up quick though. You better be prepared to take it easy the next day as I'm sure you'll be BEAT.