PDA

View Full Version : Most difficult section of the AT?

jerseydave
11-15-2010, 19:33
I guess this is just to satisfy my curiosity.

I doubt I'll ever be able to attempt an actual thru hike, but I do envision doing a few section hikes consisting of maybe 4 or 5 days per section.

If someone with the above in mind wanted to hike the "most difficult section" of the AT........... where would you suggest?

Thanks
Dave

LIhikers
11-15-2010, 19:38
The most difficult section of the AT is the one you're hiking :)

earlyriser26
11-15-2010, 20:06
5 days? The last 30 miles of NH and the first 30 miles of ME.

10-K
11-15-2010, 20:21
Find any place with the word "Notch" in it and hit the trail

HeartWalker
11-15-2010, 20:25
Smoky Mtn Natl park!

Cookerhiker
11-15-2010, 20:29
From US Rt. 2 outside Gorham, NH to Safford Notch at the bottom of the Bigalows in Maine - about 120 miles.

Within those 120 miles lies one comparatively "easy" stretch of 13 miles between Maine Rts. 17 and 4. Otherwise, it's very difficult.

I didn't thruhike but I finished section-hiking the AT in 2005 by hiking my last 700 miles in NC, TN, VA, NY, and MA before the final section hike of Gorham to Katahdin. I was knocking off 15, 16, 18 mile days especially in TN, NY, and MA but I struggled to do 10 in Maine, especially in that stretch I've identified.

Read about it here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=113704).

ChinMusic
11-15-2010, 20:42
Smoky Mtn Natl park!

I've only done most of the trail south of Damascus to date. I didn't find the Smokies all that hard.

IMO, for the sections I have done, I would say the toughest 30 miles would be NOC to Fontana.

Blissful
11-15-2010, 20:51
The Mahoosucs of ME. One must know rock climbing skills. :)

Lone Wolf
11-15-2010, 21:12
From US Rt. 2 outside Gorham, NH to Safford Notch at the bottom of the Bigalows in Maine - about 120 miles.

Within those 120 miles lies one comparatively "easy" stretch of 13 miles between Maine Rts. 17 and 4. Otherwise, it's very difficult.

I didn't thruhike but I finished section-hiking the AT in 2005 by hiking my last 700 miles in NC, TN, VA, NY, and MA before the final section hike of Gorham to Katahdin. I was knocking off 15, 16, 18 mile days especially in TN, NY, and MA but I struggled to do 10 in Maine, especially in that stretch I've identified.

yeah, what he says. good cardio workout

Red Hat
11-15-2010, 21:12
5 days? The last 30 miles of NH and the first 30 miles of ME.

This is definitely the most difficult section! No doubts!!!

Spokes
11-15-2010, 23:35
New Hampshire was almost my nemesis.

CrumbSnatcher
11-15-2010, 23:39
I agree with
Pinkham notch NH. to Stratton ME.

Serial 07
11-15-2010, 23:49
if you're coming off the couch, the approach trail to neel gap i would say...what do they say, 20-25% of hikers quit there...while actually hiking, right after the NOC or NH/ME line were tough!

Hikerhead
11-16-2010, 00:09

I would add the 20 miles of the Wildcats south of Gorham also. 5 miles/day was all I could do. I was doing it sobo and didn't have enough time to finish it so I had to bail. Maybe I started off on the hardest part..?

Trailweaver
11-16-2010, 02:41
If you are NOBO, it's alllll uphill, isn't it??? ; - )

jerseydave
11-16-2010, 07:29
Looks like when the time comes, I'll be heading to the North to face the real challenge.

Although since I'm very new at this, it's all a bit of a challenge.

Even if the most challenging part is just finding the time to actually get out there and "do it".

I'm very envious of those of you who are able to find/make the time to enjoy the trails.

Thanks for the replies.

DAve

Trailbender
11-16-2010, 09:06

Yeah, I did about 20 miles, then got to Gorham, got a massive resupply, and was stupid enough to keep going. I did that 10 mile part past Gorham in the dark, with a fresh resupply, after hiking all day. It was brutal. I stopped at that one campsite, Travis Col, or something like that, pitched my tent, and crashed.

warraghiyagey
11-16-2010, 09:10
Gorham NH, to Andover Maine. . . :) . . .

DavidNH
11-16-2010, 09:23
It sure isn't the smokies.. trail was relatively easy there though one has lots of climbing.

If you really want challenging (i.e. ridiculously hard) terrain... start off at Pinkham Notch in New Hampshire. You will from there go over the Carter Range (steep climbs, in places you lower yourself down verticla ledge several feet) to route 2, where if you want you can hitch into Gorham (grocery, restaurants hostel). Back on the trail you soon enter the Mahoosics. No chance for resupply until at least Andover, ME. very remote, steep climbs and descents, the infamous Mahoosic notch, but in good weather SPECTACULAR views (emphasis intentional!). I'd plan on a maximum of 10 miles per day and even that would be a challenge on the day you go through Mahoosic Notch which is said by some to be the hardest mile of the entire Appalachian Trail.

David

Cookerhiker
11-16-2010, 10:33
I would add the 20 miles of the Wildcats south of Gorham also. 5 miles/day was all I could do. I was doing it sobo and didn't have enough time to finish it so I had to bail. Maybe I started off on the hardest part..?

C'mon, a young guy like you should have been able to do at least 6 mpd.:D

WalkinHome
11-16-2010, 10:47
It sure isn't the smokies.. trail was relatively easy there though one has lots of climbing.

If you really want challenging (i.e. ridiculously hard) terrain... start off at Pinkham Notch in New Hampshire. You will from there go over the Carter Range (steep climbs, in places you lower yourself down verticla ledge several feet) to route 2, where if you want you can hitch into Gorham (grocery, restaurants hostel). Back on the trail you soon enter the Mahoosics. No chance for resupply until at least Andover, ME. very remote, steep climbs and descents, the infamous Mahoosic notch, but in good weather SPECTACULAR views (emphasis intentional!). I'd plan on a maximum of 10 miles per day and even that would be a challenge on the day you go through Mahoosic Notch which is said by some to be the hardest mile of the entire Appalachian Trail.

David

This has my vote-leaving Pinkham (NOBO) was the hardest day of my trail.

Newb
11-16-2010, 14:04
The 8 inches of trail between your ears.

BrianLe
11-16-2010, 14:16
Cookerhiker has it right IMO, from a day or so south of Gorham and all through the Whites with some limited exceptions. I was happily doing 20+ mile days once into Virginia and out of the snow until I hit the Whites. Figured I would be able to keep doing 20+ mile days in the Whites but was convinced by the terrain to reconsider.

10-K
11-16-2010, 16:42
Cookerhiker has it right IMO, from a day or so south of Gorham and all through the Whites with some limited exceptions. I was happily doing 20+ mile days once into Virginia and out of the snow until I hit the Whites. Figured I would be able to keep doing 20+ mile days in the Whites but was convinced by the terrain to reconsider.

I was barely able to make 15 mpd through the Whites.

And I wouldn't have been able to do that if it hadn't been broad daylight at 4:30 AM....

peakbagger
11-16-2010, 18:38
The Mahoosucs north of Gorham (actually north of Shelburne) are in my neighborhood along with the Wildcats and the Carters. Compared to the Presidentials, they dont look that impressive but they will kick most folks butts. The trail building approach is the "fall line" theory, where-ever a rock would roll down a mountain is where the trail is. No switchbacks and many sections where hands arent optional. There are some nice sections of ridge walking on occasion, but inevitably, you will pay for it by a climb straight down and then right back up again. Of special note is the one day stretch from Full Goose shelter, straight down to Mahoosuc Notch, then straight back up Mahoosuc Arm and then over to Speck Pond. The resupply points stretch out from Gorham north so most folks are carrying more food in their pack. The steep ups and downs continue for most of the trail until after Mt Bigelow over in Maine.

Its all fun challenging hiking but most thru hikers have a tough time slowing down and if they try to maintain a fast pace it can really chew them up as the trail bed can be rocky, slippery and muddy which can be real tough to crank miles. A lot of folks forget that the north has longer daylight around the summer solstice, as someone mentioned you can have daylight from about 4:45 am to 9 PM around June 21st, although I recommend delaying the trip towards the end of July to let the black flies calm down.

Overall its hard to beat the AT north of Glencliff all the way to Katahdin, just be in shape when you get here and plan on short days until you get your trail legs.

the goat
11-16-2010, 19:19
Find any place with the word "Notch" in it and hit the trail

amen! that sums it up pretty well!