PDA

View Full Version : Miami to Maine?

DinnerFer2
11-16-2010, 01:35
So I've decided to start my NOBO journey in Miami.:banana

I'm going to stay with friends there, take a greyhound to Orlando, chill with grandma there (Grandma=best person to send you off on a thru-hike) then hop a greyhound to Gainesville, GA. This is actually not that expensive...I'm surprised...

Once I get to Gainesville, it's 37 miles to Amicalola. Certainly an easy hitchhike...right?

Has anyone else done this? What's Gainesville like?

DavidNH
11-16-2010, 09:16
So I've decided to start my NOBO journey in Miami.:banana

I'm going to stay with friends there, take a greyhound to Orlando, chill with grandma there (Grandma=best person to send you off on a thru-hike) then hop a greyhound to Gainesville, GA. This is actually not that expensive...I'm surprised...

Once I get to Gainesville, it's 37 miles to Amicalola. Certainly an easy hitchhike...right?

Has anyone else done this? What's Gainesville like?

I agree.. next to Mom.. who better than Grandma to send you off on a thru hike!http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

I've never been to Gainsville, GA myself but I understand that the hiker hostel does (or at least did) offer shuttles from there to Amicalola falls State park. They are at www.hikerhostel.com.

David

Lone Wolf
11-16-2010, 09:19

Has anyone else done this?

yeah. easy hitch. i've done it a coupla times

BrianLe
11-16-2010, 14:10
"Has anyone else done this?"

Lil' Buddy did the entire IAC last year, starting from Key West; check out his journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=9885).

BrianLe
11-16-2010, 14:12
Sorry IAC ==> ECT (including the IAT), fat fingered that ...

schnikel
11-16-2010, 19:47
I believe Brian Le is speaking of lil' Buddah as well not lil' Buddy....fat fingered as well I guess.;)
Schnikel

schnikel
11-16-2010, 19:49
HA! lil' Buddha I meant. I fat fingered that one!!
Schnikel

Blissful
11-16-2010, 20:08
I met Lil' Buddha in VA, Trail Days and in Maine. He did from Key West all the way through the IAT. Neat guy

Old Spice
11-16-2010, 20:12
I hitched to Gainesville from Hattiesburg, Mississippi many moons ago. As a generalization, hitching is much easier in the South than the North. We were also a group of "cute" hippie teenagers as opposed to a lone male so who knows. For example, I once hitched from Vermont to New Mexico in a handful of rides, but walked for nearly two days in a small strip of PA without much luck. My opinion: If you have the money for a bus, get one. Why throw any unnecessary variables into what will already be a very tough adventure? Not to mention the very realistic fact that if a cop tells you to move along you will have to walk to the nearest bus depot anyhow.

Old Spice
11-16-2010, 20:15
On the other hand, it is a very short distance and hitching is a neat experience. Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun!

Luddite
11-16-2010, 20:37
Whatever you do, don't take a cab.

BrianLe
11-17-2010, 12:40
"I believe Brian Le is speaking of lil' Buddah as well not lil' Buddy....fat fingered as well I guess."

Yup, I meant Lil' Budda. But now assuming I run into him on trail next year, I'll have to call him "Gilligan" ... (hmm, but I don't want to be the skipper, the professor or the rich guy would be okay ...).

DinnerFer2
11-21-2010, 20:39
I swear on Mt. Mansfield himself I will not take a cab.