PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for SNP (or north) hike this weekend

4eyedbuzzard
11-16-2010, 08:18
Have to go to Bethesda, MD this week to help care for a sick relative but will be done probably Friday am. I have to be in NYC on Monday by noon, so I figured I try to actually get out and hike :eek: :).

Any recommendations for a nice, not too strenous 2 day hike anywhere from SNP through Bear Mountain area? A loop would be a plus. Still nursing a bad back, so I don't want anything particularly difficult, even by mid-Atlantic standards. I'm leaning toward SNP because I know the terrain will be easier, but it's a little more out of my way. Any other recommendations (not really partial to NJ due to campfire bans.) I like my campfire in the evenings. ;) Thanks! :sun

Cookerhiker
11-16-2010, 08:32
How about between Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace State Parks in PA? It's not a loop but a nice easy 19-20 miles along the ridge. If you start at Caledonia, you have an initial ascent to the ridgeline, then it's smooth sailing.

If you can't get a shuttle, you can hitch on Rt. 233 which runs parallel.

This hike is fairly convenient to I-81 which will get you to NY.

Blissful
11-16-2010, 11:13
I'd visit Harpers Ferry and climb that trail overlooking the town (maryland Heights?). I love that view and I love the town. :) there used to be trail running the length of the ridge (may be overgrown?). I also like the AT south after the bridge if you're a history buff, interesting trenchwork.

4eyedbuzzard
11-17-2010, 14:04
Thanks all. Haven't decided yet, but those sound interesting.

Firefighter503
11-18-2010, 17:03
Bears Den Hostel to Harpers Ferry NOBO is about 20 miles. It comprises of the end of 'the Roller Coaster' and 'Devils Turnpike' though. People have mixed feelings about how 'hard' those are. If you do SNP this weekend, you may or may not run into a handful of us walking NOBO from Big Meadows to Front Royal, VA.