PDA

View Full Version : finest spots for zeros

strollingalong
11-16-2010, 11:45
where were your finest zero days? open meadows, waterfalls, gorgeous wooded areas, vistas, towns... ???

I'm allowing enough time in my schedule so when the best places spring up I can sling my hammock, put my feet up, open a book on page one and start walking again when I finish the book, and the bottle of tequila.

Tipi Walter
11-16-2010, 11:49
Do AT backpackers actually zero out a day in a tent or hammock or tarp? I thought they do all their zero days in towns or hostels.:)

Lone Wolf
11-16-2010, 11:51
gatlinburg. drinkin' beer and eatin' bbq

strollingalong
11-16-2010, 11:52
wherever I'll be the hammock will be coming out. I basically live in one now and I live in the biggest city in the world. so, back to the original question, where are the most beautiful spots to sling a hammock and read a book on the AT?

ChinMusic
11-16-2010, 11:52
I'm allowing enough time in my schedule so when the best places spring up I can sling my hammock, put my feet up, open a book on page one and start walking again when I finish the book, and the bottle of tequila.

You can do that while ON the trail. Just walk until you see one and stop.

Blissful
11-16-2010, 11:57
Several SOBOS this summer took a zero at Pleasant Pond Lean-to with its awesome tentsites and beautiful surroundings
Me, well I couldn't let a sunny day go without hiking...

Slo-go'en
11-16-2010, 12:19
Most of my non-town zeros were on rainy days when I didn't feel like getting wet -- again. In that case, it didn't really matter where I was, so long it was dry. If the shelter happened to have a good book to read there, that was a plus.

Once in a while, will find a really nice spot to hang out on a nice day if feeling particulary lazy and have a spare day of food in the pack. These are spots near or on a nice river/pond or vista.

On a lazy day hanging out at a shelter, I'll spend some time cleaning up around the place, fixing up the fire pit and what not.

strollingalong
11-16-2010, 12:22
man, i can't wait!

Spokes
11-16-2010, 12:29
Waynesboro, VA- sittin' in a corner booth of Ming Garden and wondering what round 17 will be!!!!!

Old Spice
11-16-2010, 12:32
Do AT backpackers actually zero out a day in a tent or hammock or tarp? I thought they do all their zero days in towns or hostels.:)

I know, right? This next time around I want to try and do my zero days in the woods... not at Shoney's buffet. This may prove as hard as the actual hike. ;)

Kerosene
11-16-2010, 12:50
Several SOBOS this summer took a zero at Pleasant Pond Lean-to with its awesome tentsites and beautiful surroundingsWhere is the Pleasant Pond Lean-to?

Kerosene
11-16-2010, 12:53
I found Pleasant Pond LT...about 30 miles south of Monson near MP 2020. I haven't hiked Maine yet, so that's why I didn't recognize it, but now I'll have to make sure I stop!

Lone Wolf
11-16-2010, 12:54
Where is the Pleasant Pond Lean-to?

about 6 miles north of caratunk

adamkrz
11-16-2010, 12:56
The Tom Leonord shelter has a 1 tent platform with this perfect setting- It's in southern Mass.
This is where I was this past weekend watching the sun set then rise again in the morning.

Serial 07
11-16-2010, 13:31
damascus! or the bird cage...

Namaste
11-16-2010, 13:56
Hanging out at Pierce Pond with Tim Harrison for his famous pancakes then canoeing on the beautiful pond.

BrianLe
11-16-2010, 14:25
+1 with Spokes on Waynesboro and the AYCE buffet at Mings.
But really, I think the best place to actually zero is just the right mix of "I could use a zero around now" combined with at least a decent mix of facilities in a trail town that's not too spread out. And isn't too expensive.

I'd point out also that if a person times it right, you can get a true "near zero" (nero) experience, i.e., something that's about as good as a zero, and at more typical nero cost if you plan and time things out right. When I was hiking with Lucky and Lumbar, these guys were the masters of the "deluxe Nero".

You roll into town about 10 am or so, and most of the time you can actually check into a cheap motel or hostel right away, or perhaps right after your first meal. You hang around town for 24 hours, checking out of the motel or hostel about the time that they're going to kick you out. Then you have one last meal on the way out, perhaps carrying some extra restaurant food with you.

Result: one night's stay but a true full day off the trail. Actual zeros IMO take too much time off the trail, most of the time, unless I have an exceptional number of things to get done in town or my body needs some extra heal time.

Grampie
11-16-2010, 15:15
If you just want to kick back and relax I suggest the Cabin on Upper Goose Pond. A chance to sleep inside, get a free breakfast, swim in a nice pond, go for a ride in a canoe or just relax. The town of Lee, Mass. isn't far away to go to for a resupply or a resturant.
The cost to stay at the cabin, is a donation. Don't miss it. It's one of the best deals on the whole AT.:)

Sly
11-16-2010, 15:42
Antler's Campsite.

Jack Tarlin
11-16-2010, 15:43
I can think of several great places to "zero" on the Trail as opposed to in town.

*In the south, I'd slow down and bring extra food between Roan Mountain and Rt 19E as you may want to take some extra time off in the Roan Highlands, esp. in the area near Overmountain Shelter.

*A bit further on, I'd brin some extra food out of Damascus or Troutdale, in case you want to slow down, take some side trips, or simply take some time off in the Massie Gap/Grayson Highlands area.

*Up north, I'd bring extra food for the middle part of Vermont, in case you want to take some slow days, camp by the side of a pond all day, etc.

*And bring extra supplies along in Maine, in case you end up taking unplanned days off (or decide to abbreviate your hiking day at lunchtime because you find yourself at a really great spot). Such places would include Horns Pond; Avery Peak, Pierce Pond, and especially Antler's campsite.

The great thing about packing extra food is that it gives you the opportunity to slow down, take half days, take side trips, etc. If you ever come to a place that's so nice you decide to end your hiking day or take the next day off altogether, you should make sure and do this, and having a bit extra to eat makes these decisions easier. It'd be a shame to keep going when you really want to stop but can't do so for fear of running short of food.

the goat
11-16-2010, 15:48

i've done more zeroes in the woods than anywhere.

sly, that's a good one.

there's also that white sand beach, i think it's jo mary lake?

cooper falls & pierce pond falls are nice too.

Pony
11-16-2010, 16:03
In town: Damsacus, NOC, Waynesboro, Hot Springs, Dalton, Manchester Ctr., Monson.

In the woods: Dismal Falls, Upper Goose Pond, Watauga Lake, Just about anywhere in Maine.

10-K
11-16-2010, 17:39
Overall my favorite zero day town was Manchester Center, VT, hands down. I almost cried and needed therapy when I left there I hated to leave so much. Super, super nice people and everything you could possibly want within walking distance.

I never really had a bad town experience though....

Never took a zero in the woods.... I don't think I could do it.

Johnny Thunder
11-16-2010, 20:00
agreed jack. i think it's also worth noting that (especially in the south) you have light resupply option immediately after both areas you've mentioned. so if your day through roan becomes two and a half you can grab what you need to get to kincora from the gas station down the mountain.

or, if you spend an extra day in the highlands the troutdale store can get you to marion/atkins.

Blissful
11-16-2010, 20:05
Actually I meant to say Pierce Pond Lean to, the one after Caratunk. But Pleasant Pond was nice too. Good swimming

Tinker
11-16-2010, 23:01
Several SOBOS this summer took a zero at Pleasant Pond Lean-to with its awesome tentsites and beautiful surroundings
Me, well I couldn't let a sunny day go without hiking...

My favorite AT swimming spot so far.

Tinker
11-16-2010, 23:04
Actually I meant to say Pierce Pond Lean to, the one after Caratunk. But Pleasant Pond was nice too. Good swimming
The one after Caratunk has cottages around it. I suppose the draw to staying there is it isn't too many miles north of Caratunk (three??) and I remember those miles being pretty flat. When I stayed there with my son we had locals snooping around the shelter after dark until they realized that there were two adult males inside.

Tinker
11-16-2010, 23:08
The one after Caratunk has cottages around it. I suppose the draw to staying there is it isn't too many miles north of Caratunk (three??) and I remember those miles being pretty flat. When I stayed there with my son we had locals snooping around the shelter after dark until they realized that there were two adult males inside.

Sorry. I was thinking NOBO :rolleyes:.

So I made the same mistake as Blissful (good company :)).
So Pierce Pond, not Pleasant Pond is my favorite (push off from the rock ledge at the shore right to over-your-head cool water). Nice...

lunatic
11-17-2010, 11:05
My #1 is Manchester Center, VT. Had a great zero there to rest my wet swollen feet, and it was very difficult to leave. Wonderful people and several very good restaurants/bars and a good coffee shop/book store. Good combination for me.
I'm biased about this one, but #2 - took several days off in NYC and had a blast.
Never took a zero in the woods.

jersey joe
11-17-2010, 11:09
I would say on top of max patch, but I don't think you would have much luck hanging a hammock up there.

Lion King
11-17-2010, 11:37
Antlers Campsite in 98

To this day it still stands head and shoulder above the rest of my zeros.

Reasons:
First thru hike was near over
A Moose came and went numerous times
For some reason, the few hikers that came by barely stopped...maybe a snack or a standing photo and a 'wow', but no one camped, so that made it special.
Geese honking
just good sweet reflecting time

OldFeet
11-17-2010, 17:12
In Vermont both Little Rock Pond and Stratton Pond are great stopping places.

Sly
11-17-2010, 17:28
The great thing about packing extra food is that it gives you the opportunity to slow down, take half days, take side trips, etc. If you ever come to a place that's so nice you decide to end your hiking day or take the next day off altogether, you should make sure and do this, and having a bit extra to eat makes these decisions easier. It'd be a shame to keep going when you really want to stop but can't do so for fear of running short of food.

Jack makes a great point about carrying extra food to be able to afford to do, not just zeros, but nearos. There are spots nearly everyday that make great spots for camping. Even though it's a multi-month endeavor where the pressure is on to keep hiking, it's worth cutting several days short, just to kick off the boots and relax at a beautiful spot, in the middle of nowhere.

It's probably been mentioned but Upper Goose Pond is also a good one, especially with use of a canoe.

leaftye
11-17-2010, 17:57
I almost took a zero on the trail when I was hiking the PCT this year. Unfortunately it was where I got off the trail. It was at a place next to a river with a gazebo and a bathroom. It was a fantastic place to spend the day. I would have happily zeroed there if I wasn't getting off the trail. I loved it because it was a beautiful spot where two creeks merged, I could easily do laundry, potty without making a hole, watch the fish and get great views from a nearby bridge. If I hike again, I'll nero there, maybe even zero.

baitn'ga>me
01-24-2011, 14:23
The Lookout; off a short side trail; in Vermont is a great spot. If you have plenty of water (no water up there, but a couple of streams before) it's an old barn-type house with a loft and fireplace. Plus you can climb a ladder on the roof for great views of the Green Mountains and the Whites.

naturejunkie
01-24-2011, 15:05
Antler's Campsite.

In 2008 going sobo, I stopped at Antler's Campsite and thought it was amazing. But, I was trying to catch a group that had left out of WHL ahead of me. So, I ate a snack and reluctantly moved on.

If I make it to Antlers again, I will definitely zero or nero there.

double d
01-24-2011, 15:11
Overall my favorite zero day town was Manchester Center, VT, hands down. I almost cried and needed therapy when I left there I hated to leave so much. Super, super nice people and everything you could possibly want within walking distance.

I never really had a bad town experience though....

Never took a zero in the woods.... I don't think I could do it.

Couldn't agree more! Also, Rutland and the Long Trail Inn in Vermont were outstanding as well.

10-K
01-24-2011, 15:18
You roll into town about 10 am or so, and most of the time you can actually check into a cheap motel or hostel right away, or perhaps right after your first meal. You hang around town for 24 hours, checking out of the motel or hostel about the time that they're going to kick you out. Then you have one last meal on the way out, perhaps carrying some extra restaurant food with you.

This is how I always do it. I spent 2 days in Manchester Ct., VT but on the second day I actually slackpacked the 26 miles from Wallingford back to Manchester Ct so really neither of the 2 days I was in town was a zero.

It'd be weird to go a whole day just hanging out without hiking at all.

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 15:27
wake in 23. hugs and food at marys. grab a strap on from sorentos and my pack from the doyal.walk .8 past town to my weirdo spot. spend day freaking out and makeing weird art from grassesand leaves and colorfull things and leaving them like voodoo warnings on rocks at springs.back to marys for dinner. doyal for 2nd dinner. do avon runs thru trailerpark with mary. play ping pong back at the doyal with pat and his bro. 23 more art. baroom and porch of doyal till bed. repeat.

Hobbler
01-24-2011, 15:29
Waynesboro, VA- sittin' in a corner booth of Ming Garden and wondering what round 17 will be!!!!!

Spokes...I know what you mean...I am fortunate to live within 10 miles of the Ming Garden and have the A/T, SNP in between, living just on the east side of the Blue Ridge. I have the Ming Garden to frequent every other week or so and you probably sat in my seat...I always get the corner booth!

After the awesome lunch/dinner buffet, it is so easy to hit the trail on the way back home for day-hike. However, I find that "Full Belly Syndrome" kicks my ass.

Waynesboro has nearly everything and a zero there is not to be missed.

Jim Adams
01-24-2011, 15:33
I can think of several great places to "zero" on the Trail as opposed to in town.

*In the south, I'd slow down and bring extra food between Roan Mountain and Rt 19E as you may want to take some extra time off in the Roan Highlands, esp. in the area near Overmountain Shelter.

*A bit further on, I'd brin some extra food out of Damascus or Troutdale, in case you want to slow down, take some side trips, or simply take some time off in the Massie Gap/Grayson Highlands area.

*Up north, I'd bring extra food for the middle part of Vermont, in case you want to take some slow days, camp by the side of a pond all day, etc.

*And bring extra supplies along in Maine, in case you end up taking unplanned days off (or decide to abbreviate your hiking day at lunchtime because you find yourself at a really great spot). Such places would include Horns Pond; Avery Peak, Pierce Pond, and especially Antler's campsite.

Great spots Jack. I have zero'd at all of those places...you remember those days forever!:sun

geek

Jim Adams
01-24-2011, 15:41
It'd be weird to go a whole day just hanging out without hiking at all.

I had 79 zero days in 1990 and 61 in 2002.
I can't imagine going hiking and not stop in beautiful places to enjoy the day...and night.:cool:

geek

10-K
01-24-2011, 15:43
I can't imagine going hiking and not stop in beautiful places to enjoy the day...and night.:cool:

geek

Yes, I can understand that I think. It's not my style, but I get it.

I never met a town I didn't like and visited as many as possible, and I too spent some extra time at places like Pierce Pond (and had pancakes :) ) and others but I don't think I've ever went 24 hours without hiking when I was hiking.

Hobbler
01-24-2011, 16:03

geek

I agree with you Geek...I remember the earlier times too and the predominant thing that got me into hiking in the 70's was the sheer enjoyment of getting back to nature and away from "Man's Mechanical Madness". Stopping to smell the roses frequently was paramount to that end. So different now with all the options and trail community available to the modern-day hiker. Deadlines...Commitments....and a sense of belonging to others on the trail being so important not a feeling of belonging to the trail. There are some really great people out there who love the trail for "All" its beauty and what it offers and some who won't venture off the A/T to "Blue Blaze" and really miss a lot mainly due to time constraints.

Today, there is too much emphasis to do the trail and "Get-R-Done" attitude and in some cases to use it a notch in one's belt on their resume. That is why I section hike and have the opportunity to stop where and when I want and can pick the weather, season, or avoid the pressure of high trail traffic if I desire.

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 16:24
ive had 40 before damascus.took 11 at standing bear. just cause i could.i was taught two things as a kid on the AT from the thruhikers i was impressed by. hate town. an never have anything even remotly resembeling a shedual. in earls book he describes the feeling of being near town after many days out alone.i deeply related to that chapter. i can be dieing for town and comming into the best towns with the best hikers knowing im going to have a great townday. but still,...on the last mile from town,..no matter how excited i was a few minutes ago,..when i hear the road,.....my head goes down and a sad horror comes over me like a wave.

10-K
01-24-2011, 16:37
Today, there is too much emphasis to do the trail and "Get-R-Done" attitude and in some cases to use it a notch in one's belt on their resume.

I don't think of it that way. I think of it as "hiking".

I'm a mover, not a sitter - in real life and in hiking life.

I don't have a problem with someone taking a lot of zeros and hanging around camps or whatever but I don't think that it has ever received a certification of being the "Right Way". :)

Different hikers, different hiking styles - either one as good as the other. I'm glad we have a choice!

Hobbler
01-24-2011, 17:22
I don't think of it that way. I think of it as "hiking".

I'm a mover, not a sitter - in real life and in hiking life.

I don't have a problem with someone taking a lot of zeros and hanging around camps or whatever but I don't think that it has ever received a certification of being the "Right Way". :)

Different hikers, different hiking styles - either one as good as the other. I'm glad we have a choice!

10-K...I Understand your position and you have perviously stated it well. I am not criticizing anyone's desire to roll or go at their own pace. To each his/her own. I am however old enough to see that the trail is a somewhat different animal today. It has become a more social network experience with the trail community, and electronics playing a major part in one's assessment of trail itinerary and support than in the past. Of course there is no "Right Way" and I didn't use those words or mean to imply that...You probably are not one of the ones to use the trail as an item in your resume, but there are those who do. Times are just different and so is the way the trail is used and accepted. It has changed!

Yes, I am glad we have the choice...HYOH!

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 17:29
i hike the trail cause its antisocial.you think its social? what, you mean all that, hey, and hi, as you pass folks?or the snoring? cause i could maby see how you might think so many people snoring is scocial. its not. just a bunch of fattys loosin weight by hikin.lol.

Jim Adams
01-24-2011, 17:43
i hike the trail cause its antisocial.you think its social? what, you mean all that, hey, and hi, as you pass folks?or the snoring? cause i could maby see how you might think so many people snoring is scocial. its not. just a bunch of fattys loosin weight by hikin.lol.

Matty...you do remember me!:D

geek

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 17:46
geek sleeps in a soundproof van.hes very conciderate.

10-K
01-24-2011, 18:55
Yes, I am glad we have the choice...HYOH!

I'm old enough to know that what I think today will certainly change. It's very possible, maybe even likely, that I'll feel the same way you do now one day.

I completely respect your views.

Hobbler
01-24-2011, 22:30
Thanks, I appreciate that 10K...Your passion for hiking is also well noted among myself and those here on WB.

...Hike Safe!

Wise Old Owl
01-24-2011, 22:54
Sunspots? Oh that was last year, zero.... No kidding look it up all time low. 2009-2010 the year nothing really happened. 3 popped in the last quarter.

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 23:51
i never hiked a blue blaze till 06 with mala on 42 for a mile. since then, maby 5 miles more. i dont object to it as much anymore. but i wont slackpack still. we do change. but no, dont change 10k. you were born fully formed i belive. youll never do town but for your wife.lol.

SassyWindsor
01-25-2011, 23:33
Some choices come to mind: Hiawassee, NOC, Fontana Village, Gatlinburg, Hot Springs, Damascus, Roanoke/Troutville, Duncannon, SNP, Harpers Ferry, DWG, Hanover, Gorham, and Monson. Lots of places along the trail, even NYC.

malowitz
01-26-2011, 01:42
My best zero was at the Free State hostel in MD. A lot of people don't stop there but it was a great setting. I got into town on Day 1 w/very sore feet. I resupplied as if I would leave the next day, but it was miserable weather and I was happy to stay. Nobody stayed too - we had a great day playing Monopoly, reading, internet, no stress. We vacuumed and did the hostel laundry. Bon-Bac and Janelle brought us hot brownies and ice cream. Loved the place.

Many other great zeroes including Daleville and Gorham.

garlic08
01-26-2011, 09:52
I guess in order to answer the question raised by the OP (nice thread, by the way), I'd want to know why you're taking a zero.

Some hikers need medical care. Some are borderline malnourished. Some are physically spent. Some are incapable of washing themselves in the woods. Some are sleep-deprived. These hikers will go to town for the services and may stay a while, maybe never return to the trail.

Others are more comfortable alone in the woods and will sit stream-side, contemplating their navels, and that gives true meaning to their hike. Or maybe they don't have enough money for a town stop.

Still others don't really need zeroes at all. They have their eye on a personal goal, they keep a sustainable pace, and they don't rest until they achieve the goal. They'd go absolutely bonkers sitting around for a day.

fehchet
01-26-2011, 10:05
Omphaloskepsis

garlic08
01-26-2011, 10:09
Omphaloskepsis

Great word--thanks!

Buffalo Skipper
01-26-2011, 10:22
Omphaloskepsis

All I can say to that is "Wow!"

strollingalong
01-27-2011, 01:23
words that take 5 goes at pronouncing and are useful for taking a friend down a notch or two on facebook are to be loved