PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Google Map

postholer.com
11-17-2010, 00:31
Introducing the Long Trail Google Map:
http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail=lt (http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail=lt&dist=1)

The LT Google map is just like the other postholer maps. It has distance's as well.

You can determine the distance between any 2 points of the trail. Here's how:

1. Move your mouse over the trail until a distance appears, then left click once.
2. Move your mouse to the next location over the trail until a distance appears, left click again.

A box will pop up showing you the distance between the 2 points and the time it takes to hike at different hiking speeds.

This feature is available with all postholer maps that have distances.

This map will automatically be integrated into your LT journal as well.

I big thanks to Jim Payne for providing the LT trace data.

Enjoy!
-postholer

couscous
11-17-2010, 01:05
Nice resource!

amac
11-17-2010, 04:37
Postholer, Your site is a great tool! Thank you for your work.

Spokes
11-17-2010, 09:20
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highway Man
11-17-2010, 10:31
Thanks, Postholer
It's a great work.
I've been using a lot of information at your site to plan and recall my Colorado Trail thru hike, plus for some other trails.
I have a question regarding the distance tracking feature. I don't seem to get it work if I use the drop-down menu to select The Long Trail in the "Map" section of your web. It's fine if I launch it from the link here.
Your site is one of the best that has all major maps with Google-overlays.

postholer.com
11-17-2010, 12:22
Thanks, Postholer
...regarding the distance tracking feature. I don't seem to get it work if I use the drop-down menu to select The Long Trail in the "Map"... It's fine if I launch it from the link here.

The "Show Distances" is off by default. The link here has it turned on.

If you you click on the "Show Distances" link at the upper left, it will turn them on. It's a performance thing. For large trails like the AT, PCT, CDT, etc, distances will slow things down a bit.

Hey, I'm glad you all like it! You keep using the site and I'll keep improving it!

-postholer

pjkirk
11-17-2010, 13:30
Very nice! Thanks!