PDA

View Full Version : Section Suggestions for Winter Slackpacking Trip

msujay
11-17-2010, 08:44
My wife and 17-month old son have expressed an interest in traveling to somewhere along the AT for a one-week trip between Christmas and New Year's. While I slackpack during the day, they would like to be near shopping and other tourist activities. Obviously our trip is weather permitting and assumes no significant snow fall that last week of the year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for areas or itineraries? Where would you go for a week in the winter to enjoy both the AT and tourist activities at the same time?

Cookerhiker
11-17-2010, 10:25
My wife and 17-month old son have expressed an interest in traveling to somewhere along the AT for a one-week trip between Christmas and New Year's. While I slackpack during the day, they would like to be near shopping and other tourist activities. Obviously our trip is weather permitting and assumes no significant snow fall that last week of the year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for areas or itineraries? Where would you go for a week in the winter to enjoy both the AT and tourist activities at the same time?

I suggest picking out road-to-road segments between Front Royal, VA US 522 and Duncannon, PA. You can't cover this entire 180 miles in one week but choose based on trail distances and more importantly, what specific tourist activities are of interest to your wife.

But be advised: traffic around the DC area is absolutely horrendous. And by "DC area," I mean from Frederick south on I-270 and Gainsville or Warrenton east on US 29 and I-66. In other words, if you're off hiking for example the Virginia roller coaster between Rt. 50 and Rt. 7, your wife doesn't have time to drop you off, get to downtown DC for a meaningful visit of the monuments & Smithsonian, and meet you before dark especially with your son in tow - it's utterly impossible.

Is she interested in history? She could tour Harpers Ferry, downtown Frederick, Gettysburg (both history and shopping), Shepherdstown, other Civil War sites. Shopping - outlet malls in Gettysburg and Hagerstown, Amish stores in PA. If it's not too cold or wet, she could take your son for a little stroll on the C&O Canal.

With adequate planning, this could really work out. Good luck!

bpitt
11-17-2010, 10:49
You could do some hiking in the Smokies. You would have to 'blue blaze' a lot to be back at the end of every day. But, there's lot of shopping and tourist stuff in the area.

The Solemates
11-17-2010, 11:01
northeastern tn/northwestern nc would be the place to go. tons of little mountain towns that cater to tourists.

johnnybgood
11-17-2010, 22:05
I'd think Slack packing Shenandoah Nat'l Park would also be a great option barring inclement weather.
The northern end has options for small town shopping with quaint specialty shops , with upstart antique shops and a major worldwide underground attraction minutes away.
Where you ask ? --Luray, VA.

The central district ending at Swift Run Gap has Rt.33 , which can access you eastward to Charlottesville ,VA., plenty of "big time" shopping there.
Monticello is also nearby , should be decked out with a holiday tree and lights.

The southern terminus gets you to I-64 ,where a quick drive gets you to Lexington.VA. , and more shopping opportunities in a historic town.

Cookerhiker
11-18-2010, 09:45
I'd think Slack packing Shenandoah Nat'l Park would also be a great option barring inclement weather.
The northern end has options for small town shopping with quaint specialty shops , with upstart antique shops and a major worldwide underground attraction minutes away.
Where you ask ? --Luray, VA.

The central district ending at Swift Run Gap has Rt.33 , which can access you eastward to Charlottesville ,VA., plenty of "big time" shopping there.
Monticello is also nearby , should be decked out with a holiday tree and lights.

The southern terminus gets you to I-64 ,where a quick drive gets you to Lexington.VA. , and more shopping opportunities in a historic town.

The only reason I didn't suggest that was you need a backup plan because Skyline Drive is closed frequently in the winter, more so from ice than snow. It would also be more time-consuming for his wife to drive up the winding access roads and along Skyline Dr. to drop him off each morning and pick him up in the evening. And they would have to pay Park admission unless they pass through the gates before the entrance stations are staffed.

In general, the Trail access points further north are easier to get to.

finskie
11-18-2010, 15:24
I agree with the VA to Duncannon PA suggestion. The cumberland valley area of PA has some great shopping, and some valley/meadow sections that can even be done in snow. Good Luck!

jesse
11-18-2010, 17:19
This sounds like a compromise, and a good compromise leaves both parties pissed off. I would not want to hike, or shop under these arrangements. Too much like work.

dennis_j2
11-18-2010, 20:27
I just finished the southern end from 33 to I64. Skyline drive is only open from 8AM to 5PM curently. Don't know about Christmas break but sure does limit your hike time if you have to be picked up on Skyline Drive.

LIhikers
11-19-2010, 00:06
New York City is a popular tourist destination and not far from the trail.
Your wife could shop until her credit card melts down and you could spend your day hiking.
Just be warned, that week is crazy crowded in NYC but very festive and exciting.

Cookerhiker
11-19-2010, 09:14
New York City is a popular tourist destination and not far from the trail.
Your wife could shop until her credit card melts down and you could spend your day hiking.
Just be warned, that week is crazy crowded in NYC but very festive and exciting.

Yeah, I was thinking about the NJ-NY region but as is the case with the No. VA-to-Duncannon area I suggested, you have to be mindful of traffic patterns. But here's an idea - use Pawling as a base. His wife and son can take the train into NYC every day while he slacks, starting at Rt. 55 (actually in CT) and working his way to the Bear Mountain Bridge.

msujay
11-19-2010, 20:07
Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. Weather permitting and if we decide to go, I think we will hit southern PA. I last left off at Boiling Springs and may pick up there and head at least to Duncannon over a few days. Seems like there are several small PA towns near there that look like a nice place to relax for a 3-4 days.

Wags
11-30-2010, 19:48
it's a good 25 miles from boiling springs to duncannon. you have to do at least a semi-big mile day through the cumberland valley before you get back into the mountains near duncannon. without consulting my map i'd say at least 18... there's not really any place to camp through the valley and water isn't available until you hit some barn (i forget the name)... so yea, that 1st day out of BS have a good amount of water and be well rested...

Cookerhiker
11-30-2010, 21:29
it's a good 25 miles from boiling springs to duncannon. you have to do at least a semi-big mile day through the cumberland valley before you get back into the mountains near duncannon. without consulting my map i'd say at least 18... there's not really any place to camp through the valley and water isn't available until you hit some barn (i forget the name)... so yea, that 1st day out of BS have a good amount of water and be well rested...

I believe he's planning to slack pack i.e. hike in a series of day-hikes while his wife and son shop and play tourist. They'll pick him up each day so camping isn't an issue nor is weight so he can bring sufficient water.