PDA

View Full Version : DWG to NY17 (Nov. 23 - 28)

lunatic
11-17-2010, 10:43
Finalizing plans for this 90 mile stretch during week of Thanksgiving (next week).
Probably arrive at DWG mid-morning Tuesday to begin hike, and then make it to NY17 and the Harriman train stop in time for a Sunday evening train back to NYC.
Still looking at daily miles and daily starting stopping points.

Pemmy
11-17-2010, 15:06
Hey Lunatic - I am planning almost the same section then except I'm starting Wednesday rather than Tuesday. Hope to see you out there!

lunatic
11-18-2010, 21:00
Sounds good Pemmy!

Strategic
11-18-2010, 21:57
lunatic,

It's a great piece of trail, but the northern end is pretty rough hiking (and I know from painful experience.) I'd try to make Wildcat shelter for your Saturday night camp, since that puts you right at 10 miles from NY 17 and a good hiking time to meet regular trains back to NYC. Any closer to NY 17 and you either have good but illegal camping spots (like Fitzgerald Falls) or dry camps.

lunatic
11-19-2010, 15:14
Strategic, that's my plan -wildcat by sat. My bigger concern is where to get to when I start - from DWG. On my thru, I stayed at MOC. Not sure if I should try to go further on day one, depending on when I get to trail.

Also wondering, because of the odd timing with relation to hunting seasons in NJNY, should I wear orange blaze??

Thanks all!!!

kofritz
11-19-2010, 17:14
I met a lunatic in Erwin TN at Uncle Johnnys who was from Kansas. If this is you, I hope all is well....

lunatic
11-19-2010, 19:27
I am a Lunatic in NYC, originally from Kansas. I thru-hiked in 2009 and spent time in Erwin. It's probably me, kofritz!

Carbo
11-19-2010, 21:47
Strategic, that's my plan -wildcat by sat. My bigger concern is where to get to when I start - from DWG. On my thru, I stayed at MOC. Not sure if I should try to go further on day one, depending on when I get to trail.

Also wondering, because of the odd timing with relation to hunting seasons in NJNY, should I wear orange blaze??

Thanks all!!!

MOC will be about 10.5 mi from the DWG Visitor Center parking area, less if you are being dropped off on the west bound side of I80. If you don't want to hike in the dark you may need to start from the DWG by 11 AM to reach MOC by sunset at 4:30 PM. There are tent sites north of MOC along a ridge where there is a good view looking east, about another 1-2 miles. Further north, Catfish fire tower has some good tent sites. Not sure how much further this will be, best to check your map.

I would wear the orange blaze if you have it. Good luck! I may see you out there if I do an out-and-back from the DWG.

lunatic
11-19-2010, 22:47
Thanks for the info Carbo. Maybe I'll see you on the trail.

mick2360
11-26-2010, 09:41
Orange blaze is a very good idea on this section of trail presently. Lots of deer hunting going on in the High Point NJ to Pochuck Mt. area.