PDA

View Full Version : replacemant for Montrail Hardrocks

Grinder
11-17-2010, 12:22
My hardrocks are near the end. I went on line to get more and the line seems to be discontinued/gone.

Rats!! This is one of the downsides to Asian production. There's no continuity. I've worn out two pairs of hardrocks with nary a blister.

Anyway, what is a good shoe to approximate the Hardrocks? I tried some Saucony Excursion, but the sole wasn't as heavy and the rocks bothered me.

I'd like to stay under $100 if possible. I'd like to get down to two models and then go shopping.

Thanks

FatMan
11-17-2010, 12:56
I wore Montrail for years. I now wear NB trail runners. The fit seems very similar.

sbhikes
11-17-2010, 13:29
Planned obsolescence really really REALLY bugs me.

mark schofield
11-17-2010, 16:00
I bought a pair of New Balance 806 trail runners from Cabelas (special order from Cabela). People seem to like them. They're comfortable and have an aggressive soul. Don't know how ling they will last.I also had a pair of Hardrocks.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/New-Balance-806-All-Terrain-Series/749307.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dnew %2Bbalance%2B806%26x%3D25%26y%3D11&Ntt=new+balance+806

K-Man
11-17-2010, 16:35
I thru hiked with 2 pair of Hardrocks and 2 pair of Salomon Puntera's. Post hike they supposedly started making the hardrocks oversees and the quality went waaaay down. I now pretty much only hike in salomons. The model I used is discontinued though. These are pretty close. http://www.salomon.com/us/product/exit-aero.html

Turtle2
11-17-2010, 16:48
Thanks for the question. I, too, was searching for new Hardrocks. Never a blister for me either. Does anyone know if they use the same lasts for any other models?

Sassafras Lass
11-18-2010, 21:25
My husband just ordered these http://www.zappos.com/montrail-at-plus-stone-green-burnt-orange and he is smitten. He went through trying quite a few shoes before ordering these, and as soon as he slipped them he declared, "They're the ones!" They fit him extremely well. Take a peek at the reviews - many folks say they're the perfect replacement for the Hardrock.

Grinder
11-19-2010, 08:35
thanks folks.
I ordered the New Balance trail runners currently on sale at Sierra Outpost.

I'll report on fit and feel when they get here.

The new Montrail AT Plus look promising, but will have to wait for a sale in a year or so.

Tagless
11-19-2010, 09:23
Montrail's new Sabino Trail looks promising. Apparently it was designed to replace the discontinued Hardrock. Being a Hardrock fan in the past (before Columbia messed up the design), Tag-along and I will consider the Sabino Trail for hiking the John Muir Trail in 2011.

Here is a review (http://www.irunfar.com/2010/06/montrail-sabino-trail-review.html).

scope
11-19-2010, 10:19
I bought a pair of New Balance 806 trail runners from Cabelas... They're comfortable and have an aggressive soul.

Now that's my kind of shoe. Of course, I also like one with a firm, grabby sole, too. :p

Dogwood
11-19-2010, 17:52
Check out Montrail Sabinos. Not quite as beefy as the OLD Hardrocks, which if I could ever buy more of, I would purchase 1/2 dozen pairs, but the Sabinos have some similarities but in a lighter wt trail runner. Good for wider feet or those wanting more toe box volume.

Dogwood
11-19-2010, 17:54
As Tagless states, Montrail incorporated some of its Hardrock charcteristics/technology into the Sabinos.

Grinder
11-30-2010, 13:47
Reporting back on my new shoes.

The New Balance MTE62GR came yesterday from Sierra Trading Post.

They are really light: one shoe weighs 12.5 Oz on my rinky-dink postal scale ( I don't know if this is good or bad). They have a really stiff sole and fit okay

Since I started hiking, all my shoes feel tight when I'm sitting. I suppose I need to go to wide sizes, but hate to because this will take me completely out of the bargain shoe market. I've never seen wide shoes on sale. Please correct and redirect me if I'm wrong.

I did my morning 5 miler with no discomfort. I haven't put the green superfeet in yet either.

hikerinnc
12-02-2010, 20:35
Columbia messed up Montrail..Their stuff USED to rock, now it all sucks, and yes I've tried the new stuff. I've switched to Oboz, a smaller not messed up by a big company, shoe company. I'm in love with all of em!

wilconow
12-21-2010, 00:43
I tried out the Montrail Sabinos a few weeks back, but they seemed too narrow. I was using the '08 Hardrock wide (sabinos do not come in wide)

I just got the Oboz Hardscrabble. They feel great right away, though I've only worn them to the gym. Certainly roomy enough. I think they're a bit heavier than the Hardrocks, but that's okay. I e-mailed them a ? through their website and got an informative response.

There's a good review on backpackgeartest
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Trail%20Shoes/Oboz%20Hardscrabble%20Trail%20Shoes/Test%20Report%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/

I look forward to taking them out on the trail, and will follow up here.

mark schofield
12-23-2010, 07:47
update on NB 806. After a few months I find them really comfortable. Use them for most everything. On sale again at Cabela's.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/New-Balance-806-All-Terrain-Series/749307.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dnew%2Bbalance%26x%3D9%26y%3D10&Ntt=new+balance

Grinder
12-23-2010, 13:21
Mark
I forgot to ask the first time:
Did you get wide sizing or regular?

TIA
Tom/ Grinder

mark schofield
12-24-2010, 07:30
Grinder; I got the 14 EE

the goat
12-24-2010, 08:53
Columbia messed up Montrail..Their stuff USED to rock, now it all sucks, and yes I've tried the new stuff.

agreed. i used to buy montrails religiously & exclusively, then one day my shipment came and they didn't look the same, or fit the same.

columbia completely ruined the brand, which is sad.

i still haven't been able to find anything comparable to hurricane ridge sho montrail used to make.....

wilconow
02-26-2011, 22:00
I tried out the Montrail Sabinos a few weeks back, but they seemed too narrow. I was using the '08 Hardrock wide (sabinos do not come in wide)

I just got the Oboz Hardscrabble. They feel great right away, though I've only worn them to the gym. Certainly roomy enough. I think they're a bit heavier than the Hardrocks, but that's okay. I e-mailed them a ? through their website and got an informative response.

There's a good review on backpackgeartest
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Trail%20Shoes/Oboz%20Hardscrabble%20Trail%20Shoes/Test%20Report%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/

I look forward to taking them out on the trail, and will follow up here.

Update on the Oboz - I've worn them on a few day hikes of 8 miles+ . Due to it being winter and a nagging back injury, I haven't been able to test these out as much as I want - but I'm very happy with them so far.

Like the classic version of the Hardrocks, they are lightweight, roomy and comfortable, but still provide necessary support and grip. They're wide all around, and provide plenty of toe room... important to me. The insoles feel like they give much more support than what you normally find in shoes, but the arch is too high.. I found that I was having a pain in a bone on the top of mid foot.. once I switched to a spenco hiker insole, it totally went away

I still have to test more on longer hikes and perhaps backpacking, but so far so good. I recommend this as a replacement for the Hardrock.

Phreak
02-26-2011, 22:13
I wore Montrail for years. I now wear NB trail runners. The fit seems very similar.
Same here. Currently wear NB 876s.

Grinder
02-27-2011, 09:08
I've been wearing these for three months or so. They are "okay". You probably couldn't buy any if you wanted to. Sierra Outpost had them on clearance sale at Around $46 and must be long sold out. Web search revealed little ablut them (including the New Balance site)

They do seem to be a bit narrower than the Montrails, but not to the degree that would cause problems. And they developed an annoying creak for the first few minutes each morning. My green superfeet inserts fit in just fine.

I'm going to wear them on my upcoming section hike in April and will report back on foot health after.