PDA

View Full Version : Burning cheeks

strollingalong
11-17-2010, 17:12
I'm a chile addict. I quite literally cannot live without vast quantities of spice.

Perhaps a little stupidly, one of my major concerns about walking 2170 miles is making sure I have enough spice at all times.

How well stocked are shops in this regard?! I'm not talking spice. I'm talking the bottles that have warnings on them.

A decent dash of habanero makes any dish more tasty. Including trail mix

Ironbelly
11-17-2010, 17:16
If you have a dehydrator or have access to one, you can dehydrate however many bottles you want and it would weigh next to nothing and probally last you the entire trail, just add a little bit of water to a 1/4 tsp or whatever and BAM thee ya are. I use dehydrated hot sauce quite often.

Dehydrate and then throw in a food processor or you can pulverize it by hand to make a power and I just put it in a small baggie.

strollingalong
11-17-2010, 17:19
small baggies, strange products, powder and US/Mexican border crossings don't mix well.

I'm going to hike the Copper Caņon, then immediately to the AT.

GracefulRoll
11-17-2010, 17:25
You're going to be in Latin America.

Buy some chili peppers there? They weigh next to nothing.

Luddite
11-17-2010, 17:30
I'm going to hike the Copper Caņon, then immediately to the AT.

Take some pics! I've always wanted to go there.

strollingalong
11-17-2010, 17:30
I am in Latin America but it's more a space issue than a weight one. I'll sure take some dried peppers, but really, I couldn't possibly carry 6 months of spice. that would be hundreds of grams and a large bag.

Old Hiker
11-17-2010, 17:54
http://www.texasselectseasonings.com/ProductInfoAllPurposeBlends.htm

Rattlesnake dust - third one down with no picture. My Scoutmaster swears by it. I don't like it - food should NOT hurt.

Blissful
11-17-2010, 17:55
Check the resupply article for the bigger stores in towns where you can likely get your hands on the spicier version of sauce. Wal marts, Kroger (one in Daleville), Price Chopper in the north, etc

jlb2012
11-17-2010, 18:02
use a bounce box and only carry what you need to get to the next town with your bounce box

GracefulRoll
11-17-2010, 18:03
http://www.texasselectseasonings.com/ProductInfoAllPurposeBlends.htm

Rattlesnake dust - third one down with no picture. My Scoutmaster swears by it. I don't like it - food should NOT hurt.

Yes, but some people like to masticate masochistically. :D

pjkirk
11-17-2010, 19:27
small baggies, strange products, powder and US/Mexican border crossings don't mix well.

Well, it's not a white powder so that might help you.

And you can always offer the border guards a taste!

mudhead
11-18-2010, 09:22
Health food store is another good source for powdered or dried hot peppers and spices.

Hot stuff has gone mainstream enough, you should be able to make do...

Some Thai sauces might amuse you.

TheChop
11-18-2010, 09:39
He who controls the spice controls the trail.

strollingalong
11-18-2010, 10:22
use a bounce box and only carry what you need to get to the next town with your bounce box

Bob's your uncle and fanny's your aunt. Of course, I'll figure this all out eventually.

Carbo
11-18-2010, 10:28
The hotest peppers are the the Dorset naga and the Ghost chili. You won't get a second chance to taste these. They are supposed to be over 1 million on that hotness scale... forget what it's called.

peakbagger
11-18-2010, 11:25
Not much for hot sauce in the local supermarkets up in northern NH and Maine, usually its the standard tabasco sauces and some cheaper lookalikes. If you want to drive around there are some speciality stores that may stock more interesting sauces, but it would be a lot of hassle for a throughhiker. I suggest bouncing some.

mudhead
11-18-2010, 11:52
Walmart in Gorham has a bunch? I suppose if you need a special one...

strollingalong
11-18-2010, 13:00
It's called the scoville rating
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

My fave is and always will be habanero. Possible to eat a whole one during a meal. At the moment, anything hotter is too hot. They're so damn tasty!

GracefulRoll
11-18-2010, 14:16
It's called the scoville rating
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

My fave is and always will be habanero. Possible to eat a whole one during a meal. At the moment, anything hotter is too hot. They're so damn tasty!

I love to get some cheddar cheese, chop up one of those into small pieces, get a baguette, and make little open face bites of spicy, spicy goodness.

strollingalong
11-18-2010, 15:02
*mouth watering

Speakeasy TN
11-19-2010, 09:00
Yes, but some people like to masticate masochistically. :D

I felt my brain stretch! Thanks for many many smiles!:D