PDA

View Full Version : Sams Gap to Hot Springs

NCcummins
11-17-2010, 18:00
I'm looking at a few different hikes to go on over Thanksgiving while I have a nice break from class. I want to take out my gear (some new things I haven't used yet) and try it out. This will be one of many smaller hikes before I start my thru hike March 15th.

It looks to be about 43.5 miles from Sams Gap (where it crosses I-26) to downtown Hot Springs. I live in Asheville, so I can get someone to drop me about at Sams Gap (which is about 30 minutes from my house), and pick me up in Hot Springs (which is also about 30-40 minutes from my house).

I think 10-11 miles a day is certainly able to be done looking at the terrain and elevation changes from start to finish.

The first day, I would try and make it the 11.2 miles to Flint Mountain Shelter and camp there.

The second day, hopefully make it to Little Laurel Shelter which is 12.7 miles from Flint Mountain Shelter.

The third day, I would hike the 8.6 miles to Spring Mountain Shelter and camp there.

Then on the fourth day, hike from Springer Mountain Shelter to Hot Springs which is 11 miles.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

-Chris

10-K
11-17-2010, 19:37
You're definitely doing it in the right direction - it's an easier hike going south.

Your schedule is fine but you wouldn't have any trouble at all doing it in 3 days (hiking into Hot Springs on your 3rd day)

Johnny Thunder
11-17-2010, 19:50
camp at the shelter just north of the white/black cliffs. i forget what it's called. that place is cool.

Morning Glory
11-17-2010, 20:04
Day 1 and 3, and 4 are all easy days. Day 2 is a tougher day but I did the exact same hike a few years ago and I was in pretty terrible shape.

10-K
11-17-2010, 20:13
If you make it as far as Little Laurel shelter and have any time left you could walk down the mountain and check out Hemlock Hollow.

NCcummins
11-17-2010, 20:45
You're definitely doing it in the right direction - it's an easier hike going south.

Your schedule is fine but you wouldn't have any trouble at all doing it in 3 days (hiking into Hot Springs on your 3rd day)

I had thought about doing it in 3 days, but want to allow my self enough time to make sure I finish at night in the daylight and not sure who will be hiking with me so figured I would expand it into 4 days. Thanks for the info!

camp at the shelter just north of the white/black cliffs. i forget what it's called. that place is cool.

Okay, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks

Day 1 and 3, and 4 are all easy days. Day 2 is a tougher day but I did the exact same hike a few years ago and I was in pretty terrible shape.

Glad to hear someone has done the same hike. I figured it was a good time to do it since I'm out of school and I'll be busy traveling during Christmas break. I'm not in the best shape my self right now, also some of the reason I made it a 4 day hike instead of 3.

If you make it as far as Little Laurel shelter and have any time left you could walk down the mountain and check out Hemlock Hollow.

Sounds like a plan. I saw that but wasn't sure of the exact distance down the mount.

Thanks for all the input!

neonshaw
11-18-2010, 00:17
I did the same hike in early october except I started at Erwin and finished in hot springs in 7 days

i am in pretty good shape (run 25 miles a week) and that 12.7 from Flint Mtn to Little Laurel was a rough day. But like i said that was day 5 of a 7 day trip for me so I was starting to fatigue.

Another option is to hike past Spring Mtn and camp on Rich Mtn below the fire tower, there is a good water source and camp site just below the summit and would be an option if the weather is going to be nice. I thought the Spring mtn shelter was a dump so I tented out anyway. Camping on Rich would leave you 8 miles to hot springs on the last day.

November weather is iffy in the mountains which I am sure you are aware of so be ready for snow

NCcummins
11-18-2010, 00:37
I did the same hike in early october except I started at Erwin and finished in hot springs in 7 days

i am in pretty good shape (run 25 miles a week) and that 12.7 from Flint Mtn to Little Laurel was a rough day. But like i said that was day 5 of a 7 day trip for me so I was starting to fatigue.

Another option is to hike past Spring Mtn and camp on Rich Mtn below the fire tower, there is a good water source and camp site just below the summit and would be an option if the weather is going to be nice. I thought the Spring mtn shelter was a dump so I tented out anyway. Camping on Rich would leave you 8 miles to hot springs on the last day.

November weather is iffy in the mountains which I am sure you are aware of so be ready for snow

If you were worn out, I'm going to be dead by the end of the second day then. Although, it looks like plans are changing currently to a different hike.

I'm probably heading up to Buena Vista, VA to hike part of the trail in that part of the woods. Not sure if we are hiking N or S yet, but either way get to check it out.

This saves Sams Gap to Hot Springs for me to do solo or with a buddy later in the year since it's closer to home for me.

I understand about the Nov. weather in the mountains. Crazy and misleading most of the time.

Thanks for the advice! Wish I had the time to do Erwin, TN to Hot Springs.