PDA

View Full Version : Bag plus Parka (cold weather)

ChinMusic
11-17-2010, 19:06
For late fall, winter, I like having a good down upper for camp. I really like the Skaha Plus from Nunatak once the temps get near freezing. I also carry lightweight down pants from Montbell for when I reach camp and the temps are cold. If I don't have that parka I get cold soon after reaching camp, have to bail on the socialization and head to the bag.

I usu am comfortable to the rating of a bag. If it's a 30, I'm usu good to 30.

I just did a section hike where I knew the nighttime temps would get down to about 20. I decided to take just my 30° bag with the intent of wearing my parka as well and see how it went. I have a 0° bag and normally would have taken it. I also decided to take my Neo. I had a small (torso length) Zrest sit pad for additional ground insulation if needed.

The first night it indeed got down to 20 and I was perfectly comfortable. I didn't even zip up the bag, just using it in quilt-mode. I did NOT even have to place the Zrest under the Neo. I'm sure I would have easily been fine down to 15. Now, the ground was not frozen yet. That could have made the job of the Neo easier.

In the morning I already had the parka on making the transition from bag to camp chores very easy.

Just wanted to report my experience with using a down parka and bag with real temps.

adambl82
11-18-2010, 14:47
Hmm, I was planning to take my Z lite to put under my Neoair this weekend. Expected lows will be low 30s/high 20s. I'll be using a 10* WM Versalite. I may consider leaving the Z lite at home. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the how warm the neoair is. I guess the ground temp has a lot to do with it.

HiKen2011
11-18-2010, 14:56
I'm a very hot sleeper and I have a 40 degree marmot pounder with a silk liner I plan to experiment with as the temps dip down to 20 or less. I want to see if I stay comfy. Again I'm a very hot sleeper. I haven't turned the heat on down stairs where I sleep and the temp the other morning was 58 dgrees inside and that night I woke up drenched in sweat. I'll see how the pounder does in cold temps. :)