PDA

View Full Version : Average life of a quality down jacket

Johnny Thunder
11-17-2010, 19:36
i have this nice jacket that i take ok care of. assuming that i continue to use it correctly (ie. don't sweat in it or use it for heavy range-of-motion activity) how long can i expect to be able to use this jacket at it's peak?

has anyone had a down jacket that lasted 5 years? 10 years?

logically, it can't last as long as a sleeping bag of similar quality, right?

burntoutphilosopher
11-17-2010, 19:46
i had a down jacket thatabout 5 years (maybe 4?) and would have lasted longer but it got soaked and then mildewed and was time for a new one ...

... it lasted until i mistreated it... it was an Eddie Bauer parka from like 1991. but it was by no means ultralight, canvas types face fabric etc.

leaftye
11-17-2010, 19:50
I guess it depends how often you use, how you use and and how you care for it. I have a NF Nuptse that's nearly 10 years old. It looks brand new, but I've barely used it. I have a newer New Balance Fugu jacket that sheds feathers like crazy. I do wonder how long it'll be able to shed feathers before I desire a new down jacket that has down in it.

leaftye
11-17-2010, 19:51
Assuming the seams don't burst, you patch worn areas of fabric, and are willing to add extra down, I don't see why it wouldn't last a lifetime.

Stir Fry
11-17-2010, 19:56
I have one that I Bought From LL Beam in 1979. I dont use it to hike anymore due to weight. But its still good for use around town.

bigcranky
11-17-2010, 20:39
Lifetime. My big winter down jacket is at least 12 years old, still in fine shape.

Phreak
11-17-2010, 20:53
I've been using my Montbell UL down jacket for 4 years now and it's still going strong. I figure I can get another 2-3 years out of it.

mweinstone
11-17-2010, 21:52
oh john. silly thundercatster. down is for life. patches and refills maby yes. but the love and smells of old down garmets is memory in flight. you never throw away anything down unless all seams leak and its a sneezy mess. but befor anyone does, they get a girlfriend to bind all seams in a stich of love. and patches grow bigger with repatching. and dirt stains neck and cuff forrever but never is the love gone out. you need sleep johnney. put on your down and sleep. wake and remember the love. does down ever die, does santa shave in the off season.heavens no my love. when the hell will you come back from beautiful korea? we got beauty! i miss my johnney and freefall soooooooomush.

Deadeye
11-17-2010, 22:06
My EMS down vest lasted over 30 years of regular, not particularly gentle, use... tossed it out when the cat peed on it:mad:

Good down gear is an investment, and will last.

skinewmexico
11-17-2010, 23:05
I have a Herter's jacket I bought in 1975, it's still in great shape. I should probably send it to Rainy Pass and have it cleaned though.