PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker, Planning trail start in March

Newb
12-13-2004, 15:46
Hi everyone. Let me introduce myself. I'm new to hiking and plan to start a nobo hike at the end of March. I'll probably hike for a month and head home, it's rather open ended right now.
I have a few questions though.
How cold will it be at the beginning of April on the trail? Does anyone have a good suggestion of a clothing mix to take at that time of year?
Also, I plan to load up a weeks worth of food to start (freeze dried stuff, etc) but not to do any drops. Is this a problem when starting at Springer mtn?
Do a lot of folks start the trail at the March/April junction?
Will I freeze my assets off ?

I'm fresh out of the Air Force after 10 years active duty. Me and my tricky knees are gonna go out for a little adventure, I hope find a little helpful advice along the way.

bitpusher
12-13-2004, 16:21
If you're only planning on hiking for a month or so, then why not postpone your hike until May? Much nicer weather then, and the crush of thru's is gone.

Spirit Walker
12-13-2004, 17:46
End of March, beginning of April you'll have a mixture of weather - some warm sunny days where a t-shirt and shorts are appropriate, some cold snowy sleety days where you will want long pants (either rain pants or supplex), long underwear shirts and a rain jacket. Generally we bring one outfit to hike in and one dry set that is never worn to hike in which is only for camp. Long underwear and shorts work well for campwear. Bring a fleece jacket for camp (you usually won't wear it to hike, but will rather wear your rain jacket if it's cold), definitely bring a warm hat, gloves (wool or fleece) and a polypro liner pair of gloves to hike in. If you have little hair, a polypro hat or balaclava will keep you warm but not as hot as a wool hat on the medium cool days. If it's cold, you will usually just get into your sleeping bag at the end of the day, so you don't need a lot of extra clothes. Just something warm and dry to change into when it's wet. (The hard part is putting on the cold wet clothes again in the morning!)

As to resupply - how often are you willing to go off trail? How far are you willing to hitch? There are towns in Georgia, less than a week out, that are good for resupply. Check the Companion or Thruhiker's Guide for details. There are limited supplies at Neels Gap, on the trail, 36 miles up. Some places on the trail have limited groceries and may be expensive (like Fontana), but you can buy as you go most of the way on the AT, especially if you are willing to hitch a bit.

Newb
12-13-2004, 18:47
Hmm. looks like I might do a mail drop then. What's the best place for a first food drop?
As for clothing I suppose I'll just keep an eye on the "extended forecast" and plan to start as soon as I percieve a break in the weather to the warmer side. I'm leaning toward attempting a hike from Springer's mtn. all the way to Harper's Ferry and then catching a train back home. I only live 2 miles from the train station here in Alexandria.

Jack Tarlin
12-13-2004, 19:17
Unless you're on some sort of specialized diet, you can resupply at the Walasi-Yi center, at Neel's Gap. This is DIRECTLY on the Trail so you can't miss it; if memory serves it's just under 31 miles from the summit of Springer Mountain. Most folks make it on the 3rd or fourth day; add a day if you're planning to hike the "Approach" trail to the summit of Springer.

They have excellent short-term re-supply there, aimed at hikers, as well as an excellent gear store and very helpful staff. You'll also have the chance to UPS some stuff home if you discover, as you may well, that you're carrying stuff you don't need. (And if do decide to have a maildrop sent here instead of buying off the shelves, they accept parcels).

After Neels Gap, it's less than forty miles to the road crossing for Hiawassee, where there are excellent supermarkets (the hitch to town is a snap).

For more info on re-supply and shopping options (including addresses if you plan on sending letters or parcels to yourself), go to www.aldha.org and look for the On-Line Thru-hiker's Companion which has all the addresses and locations of food stores, as well as places that hold hiker mail.

There is also a lot of re-supply material found at the "Information" section of this website that you may find useful.

Jaybird
12-13-2004, 19:49
Hi everyone. Let me introduce myself. I'm new to hiking and plan to start a nobo hike at the end of March. I'll probably hike for a month and head home, it's rather open ended right now.
I have a few questions though.
How cold will it be at the beginning of April on the trail? Does anyone have a good suggestion of a clothing mix to take at that time of year?
Also, I plan to load up a weeks worth of food to start (freeze dried stuff, etc) but not to do any drops. Is this a problem when starting at Springer mtn?
Do a lot of folks start the trail at the March/April junction?
Will I freeze my assets off ?

I'm fresh out of the Air Force after 10 years active duty. Me and my tricky knees are gonna go out for a little adventure, I hope find a little helpful advice along the way.

Newb:

First of all: WELCOME!
you'll not find a group of nicer people than hikers & especially hikers here on WhiteBlaze.net.

I'm a section-hiker myself & do most of my "sections" in April-May & October....i like cooler weather....so, 50s & 60s is my ideal hiking weather...but, you gots to take what Ma Nature gives you....i've frozen my buns off in 20-something degree weather after having it pour freezing rain on me all day long & then later in the week...hit 80 degrees...& the top of my bald head gets sunburned....OUCH!

so, what i'm saying is that early in the year...i'd take some warm weather gear....the Smokies make their own weather....count on cold & probably snow.....i'd highly recommend...if you're only hiking a month or so....like someone mentioned....start in May (or thereabouts) avoid the big crowds.

hope this helps. :D

wacocelt
12-13-2004, 20:15
The weather at the end of March will be perfect for hiking, unless you get the torrential rains we had in 03'. It may get a little cool at night, but nothing a set of polys and a 35 degree bag can't handle. I have a trick knee myself, you may find the first few days to be a trial though I'm sure you'll be in fine condition at the end of your first week.
My only other advice/comment, avoid the approach trail like it's the plague. Enjoy your hike and be well!

SalParadise
12-13-2004, 20:25
Springer to Harpers Ferry in a month? You hike awful fast. If you're indeed going that far, consider the strong possibility that after going half way you'll be enjoying the trip so much that you'll want to just finish it.

I left March 29th this year and the coldest night I had was 25 degrees, and that was around late-April. The cold's really just a problem when you're trying to sleep. A t-shirt, some thin thermal underlayer and a mid-weight jacket is usually enough.

Good luck on your hike.