PDA

View Full Version : Roan mountain area

Trail head
11-18-2010, 10:56
Anyone know what trail conditions are like in the Roan mountain area currently. I would suspect some soggy trails from recent snow/rain and need to know what type of footwear would be best for a hike this weekend.

Tennessee Viking
11-18-2010, 11:05
The tread after a good rain on Roan is nothing bad. You might just get your boots dirty but nothing that is hard to walk through. The only time you really have to watch out on Roan is when ice on the trail.

Blissful
11-18-2010, 13:17
Trail runners is all you need on the AT, no matter the conditions

Trail head
11-18-2010, 14:22
Thanks everyone for the info. I will definitely be wearing trail runners, I was just trying to decide if conditions were sloppy enough to need gaiters. I have hiked some sections after a big snow fall and melt that has been so muddy that it would come in over the sides of the shoe. Sounds like the trail in that area drains pretty well.

bus
11-21-2010, 09:26
Are you starting at the gap and heading to 19E? you might get a little muddy after grassy ridge and before the Barn and again after the humps and before Doll Flats. But I doubt anything that would be a huge mud pit...plus gaiters will just get dirty too...