PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Loop Water

adambl82
11-18-2010, 11:31
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm planning on doing the Standing Indian loop this weekend. (AT, Long Branch, Kimsey Creek) Does anyone have any info on water sources on this route as far as how many and their current condition. I'm trying to figure out how much I need to carry. Obviously Kimsey Creek will have water, but I'm mainly wondering how much the AT section has. Where is the spring on Standing Indian? I've been up there once, but didn't see it. Thanks

Tennessee Viking
11-18-2010, 11:36
Not on the loop but Winding Stair Gap was flowing heavily when I drove past by it a week ago.

SouthMark
11-18-2010, 11:53
Hi Adam, I will be doing the loop this weekend also. Hope to see you out there. I will be in a group of three ladies and myself.

Dale

adambl82
11-18-2010, 12:02
Sounds like you have better company than me. I'll be with one other guy. It was too cold for my wife to get out.

I figured I would park at the backcountry information station. Will there be someone working there or just maps to take?

Looks like the weather will be nice.

ChinMusic
11-18-2010, 12:15
I just finished a section from Dick's Creek Gap (Hiawassee) to Fontana Dam last week. For area you asked about on the AT the marked water sources were not great but functional. Things were mostly a trickle.

adambl82
11-18-2010, 12:24
I just finished a section from Dick's Creek Gap (Hiawassee) to Fontana Dam last week. For area you asked about on the AT the marked water sources were not great but functional. Things were mostly a trickle.

Thanks, was this before the rain on Monday and Tuesday? Franklin got about a quarter of an inch. Not much, but better than nothing.

ChinMusic
11-18-2010, 12:31
Thanks, was this before the rain on Monday and Tuesday? Franklin got about a quarter of an inch. Not much, but better than nothing.
I finished Fontana on 11/13, so yes. I think I was on Standing Indian on 11/7.

SouthMark
11-18-2010, 13:07
Adam I also will be parking at the backcountry info kiosk. No one will be working there. It is just parking with an info board. Standing Indian Campground is open through Thanksgiving I think. Should be someone there. We will be starting Friday afternoon and hiking counter clockwise taking the Kimsey Creek Trail over to Deep Gap. I recommend that you do search here for Ron Haven's Kimsey Creek Trail map. There are a couple of places on it that can be confusing.

adambl82
11-18-2010, 13:56
Thanks Mark. I think we're going to start early Saturday morning and finish Monday morning. I'll definitely check look for that map. I have the national geographic map and will likely carry my GPS in case we got off track. I haven't decided which we're going. Hopefully we'll see you there.

generoll
11-18-2010, 14:50
the water on Standing Indian (the mountain, not the shelter) is on the first blue blazed trail just before the trail up to the peak. There are two blue blazed trails fairly close together as the Lower Timber Ridge Trail branches off from the AT right after the trail to the water as you head trail north. It's about 75 yards down the fairly steep slope to the piped spring. It was running in October and we've had two rains since. I've never found that spring dry.

springerfever
11-18-2010, 19:48
Headed to this area myself this weekend. Great hiking ! Should be cool and clear and, oh yeah, a full moon ! I'll be hiking northbound up Kimsey Creek to summit of Standing Indian. Overnite and then shoot for summit of Mt. Albert. Along the way, I might take the side trip over to Pickens Nose and chill there for a while. Just have to see how my feet and knees hold up. Then back down the Long Branch to get back to the campground. So nice not needing a shuttle !!

I'll be testing out my new ULA Circuit toting about 25 lbs w/food/water. God knows, I won't starve...Hope to see you guys on the trail !!