PDA

View Full Version : Critique My Trail Budget!

Old Spice
11-18-2010, 14:31
Hey! Feel free to take a gander at my tentative "on trail" budget and offer feedback. Too much, too little? Things I've missed?

To be honest I'm surprised I don't see much more of this on WB. We critique each others gear lists down to the ounce, but I never really see any threads on how to project a tentative on trail budget. Since I got off trail due to insufficient funds in '06, I'm really keen on not repeating this again!

TOTAL: $3000 (not including gear or travel expenses to Georgia and from Maine)

RESUPPLY: $1650 (165 days at $10/day)

TRAIL RUNNERS: $400 (I seemed to be good for 300-500 miles on a pair, so not including the ones I start in, enough for a possible four pair at $100 or so each)

HOSTEL STAYS: $240 (12 hostel stays at $20 each which breaks down to two per month. I know some will be less than this, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and don't like to be a cheap skate if their suggested donation style)

MISCELLANEOUS: $250 (shipping costs for sending stuff home or too trail, new socks, aqua meara re-ups, random gear needs, etc...)

TOWN FOOD: $460 (breaks down to almost $20/week or $10 per resupply...keep in mind that I don't smoke and no longer drink alcohol)

I'd love to hear some opinions. Anything I'm forgetting or areas where you think I might not be budgeting enough or too much? :sun

Old Spice
11-18-2010, 14:39
I forgot to mention: In '06 my entire on trail budget was $1500. With this I made it to pretty much Harper's Ferry, bought a Hennessy Hamock, a pair of shoes at trail days, stayed at my fair share of hostels, never went without generous portions of town food, smoked cigs, and was known to have a few beers. So I'm thinking doubling this is probably about right for me. Over and out.

4eyedbuzzard
11-18-2010, 15:26
Only comment is that while you made it to Harpers Ferry on $1500, you didn't hike what's generally the more expensive half of the trail - especially New England. Probably enough for a relatively frugal hike, but it depends upon hiking style, town stops/zeros, campground and hut fees, any medical expenses incurred, and how many days you take overall. Will dropping the cigs and booze make up for increased costs of food, eating out, hostels and hotels? Guess you'll find out.

Old Spice
11-18-2010, 15:39
How much did your resupply costs go up in the north when you thru-hiked? I live in NYC and am using the prices here as my basis (which are fairly high). I also plan on using mail drops where grocery stores aren't readily available. Without being more specific I am having trouble seeing where I'm being frugal. Kudos on pointing out hut fees though. What did you spend in total (not including gear or transportation)? As far as beer, it does add up. Not to mention the hidden costs of finding other things to spend money on while on a bevy in town. Cigarettes would add at least another 500-1000 to my hike.

Dogwood
11-18-2010, 17:18
$3000 with no major gear failures(shelter, sleeping bag, backpack, etc) you could do an AT thru-hike on your budget.

BTW, Old Spice, you should do some more searching here on WB because hiking budgets have been citiqued in great detail on several threads. And, as always, check out WB's AT thru-hike Preparation articles for budget adhering and money saving ideas and opinions.

mweinstone
11-18-2010, 19:56
its all attitude. im so broke and my gear is so perfect i could hike far on 3 gs. i would be so happy to see meat again i would not be able to stay in a place for money nor would i eat a drop of prepared food. if i ate beans and rice and veggies and tortillas and cheese and pancakes and bacon and teas i would go to maine or get to georgia i belive. also a southbound is cheaper for reason of less partying style splurgeing due to peer pressure while in town with big groups and trail functions. if you had to you could go to the moon on 3000$. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. LIFESTYLE

The Solemates
11-19-2010, 10:43
Only comment is that while you made it to Harpers Ferry on $1500, you didn't hike what's generally the more expensive half of the trail - especially New England. Probably enough for a relatively frugal hike, but it depends upon hiking style, town stops/zeros, campground and hut fees, any medical expenses incurred, and how many days you take overall. Will dropping the cigs and booze make up for increased costs of food, eating out, hostels and hotels? Guess you'll find out.

How much did your resupply costs go up in the north when you thru-hiked? I live in NYC and am using the prices here as my basis (which are fairly high). I also plan on using mail drops where grocery stores aren't readily available. Without being more specific I am having trouble seeing where I'm being frugal. Kudos on pointing out hut fees though. What did you spend in total (not including gear or transportation)? As far as beer, it does add up. Not to mention the hidden costs of finding other things to spend money on while on a bevy in town. Cigarettes would add at least another 500-1000 to my hike.

agree with 4eyes' assessment. the resupply costs will go up a little in new england, but more importantly are the hostel/motel/hut fees. first, there are a lot fewer (if any in many places) hostels that you can stay at. you are pretty much confined to motel stays or go back to the trail. when staying at a motel in new england, you will not find anything for inexpensive. we walked around barrington for half a day until we finally agreed to pay $80 for the cheapest place we could find (and this was the thru hiker rate - we stayed at this same place again in '09 as section hikers and they charged us $110). this was just one of many trail towns like this. even the 'hostel' in manchester center charged us nearly $50. re: hut fees, it depends on the season you hike in. we were early (hit the whites in early may and were the only thru hikers for weeks) and they gave us the 'pass' of work for stay. but if you are with the main crowd of thru hikers they are a lot less apt to do work for stays I've noticed.

max patch
11-19-2010, 11:08
HOSTEL STAYS: $240 (12 hostel stays at $20 each which breaks down to two per month.

This would be way under budget for me. I stayed in town once a week; sometimes hostels and sometimes hotels. Good luck.

the goat
11-19-2010, 11:40
Hey! Feel free to take a gander at my tentative "on trail" budget and offer feedback. Too much, too little? Things I've missed?

To be honest I'm surprised I don't see much more of this on WB. We critique each others gear lists down to the ounce, but I never really see any threads on how to project a tentative on trail budget. Since I got off trail due to insufficient funds in '06, I'm really keen on not repeating this again!

TRAIL RUNNERS: $400 (I seemed to be good for 300-500 miles on a pair, so not including the ones I start in, enough for a possible four pair at $100 or so each)

HOSTEL STAYS: $240 (12 hostel stays at $20 each which breaks down to two per month. I know some will be less than this, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and don't like to be a cheap skate if their suggested donation style)

MISCELLANEOUS: $250 (shipping costs for sending stuff home or too trail, new socks, aqua meara re-ups, random gear needs, etc...)

TOWN FOOD: $460 (breaks down to almost $20/week or $10 per resupply...keep in mind that I don't smoke and no longer drink alcohol)

I'd love to hear some opinions. Anything I'm forgetting or areas where you think I might not be budgeting enough or too much? :sun
you'll be fine, just be logical with what you spend on & don't splurge too early in your hike.

i did a sobo thru in '01 for right around $2k.
in '03 i spent that much just b/t maine & virginia.

Mizirlou
11-19-2010, 11:41
How fast are u? Bone Pac did it Feb 26 - June 22

Bone Pac ‘06 / Reported Expenses
Gear & replacement gear: $1500
Food, lodging, etc. on the Trail: $3000
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=145105

Pony
11-19-2010, 14:42
You can get through the Whites without having to pay hut fees. I only spent $10 and that was at the breakfast buffet at Pinkham notch.

I spent around $2,500 between Damascus and Katahdin, including beer and cigs. I will admit that things got tight toward the end. My only town stay after Manchester Center was in Monson, and that's only because Tim, the owner of the General store was a nice guy and let me camp behind his store. Very few town meals in my last month, and only one actual shower in Maine, you get the picture, just be smart, especially early on, and you'll be fine.

Blissful
11-19-2010, 20:12
$4000 is typical. Most hostels are more pricier then what you are quoting. Few are $20.
Need to add in insoles too on your shoes. many use superfeet.

Many Walks
11-19-2010, 23:02
Food and energy prices are already starting to rise due to inflation. Ya, I know the Gov says there is no inflation, but they leave these two categories out of their equation. By 2012 food (and everything else) will be more expensive. Keep saving.

Luddite
11-19-2010, 23:05
$4000 is typical. Most hostels are more pricier then what you are quoting. Few are $20.
Need to add in insoles too on your shoes. many use superfeet.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what are some good insoles? I'm tired of the insoles getting wrinkled and moving around too much in my boot.

Dogwood
11-20-2010, 00:17
That wrinkling will not happen with Sole orthotics. They may cost a bit more than Superfeet but WILL LAST MUCH LONGER! Dial in the right kind of Sole brand orthotic for your type of foot characteristics, hiking style, and opt for the right volume Sole orthotic to pair with your model and brand of hiking shoe and I think you will be pleased!

Storm
11-20-2010, 02:11
I must be pretty extravagant. I was figuring $5000 minimum and I don't smoke. Do have a little sip of scotch now and again. :)

kayak karl
11-20-2010, 09:59
if you want to keep your budget. hang with hikers with like budgets :)

max patch
11-20-2010, 10:21
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what are some good insoles? I'm tired of the insoles getting wrinkled and moving around too much in my boot.

Sounds like you are using the Dr Scholl type cushiony insoles. You need something firm like superfeet (green) or similar.

sbhikes
11-20-2010, 10:54
I would add way more for town food. $10 barely gets you a meal. I was so hungry I tried to get two meals each town stop (I was on the PCT, mind you.) By two meals, I mean I went out for breakfast and ordered a second meal later in the day, either lunch or dinner. A meal was usually around $20, sometimes more, especially since I often had to order two entrees or add dessert just to feel full.

Luddite
11-20-2010, 13:29
Sounds like you are using the Dr Scholl type cushiony insoles. You need something firm like superfeet (green) or similar.

I just use the stock Merrell insoles and they're horrible.

brian039
11-20-2010, 14:55
You'll be fine as long as you don't drink a lot. There are lots of free places to stay in the North to help with your budget. You'll have fun but will have to keep an eye on your money.

kayak karl
11-20-2010, 15:18
There are lots of free places to stay in the North
are they free or donations only?????

flemdawg1
11-20-2010, 15:49

I'd up Hostels to $400 (20*$20), Town food to $1000 ($10 is barely a fastfood value combo or a medium pizza).

brian039
11-20-2010, 16:17
are they free or donations only?????

Just off the top of my head. YMCA in Waynesboro, Tom's house in Dalton, across from the Inn at the Long Trail, lady in Boiling Springs, Bonzo's in Harper's Ferry, Garden Center, Corn Crib, and if you're cool like me you'll find lots of people who will insist on taking you in. Lots of really cheap places too and some donations only places in the North, please don't stiff them. I spent $5,000 and stayed in just about every trail town, partied like a rock-star, and ate at restaurants every chance I got. $3,000 is plenty for someone who doesn't smoke or drink and is willing to skip a few towns here and there. Just be careful of who you group up with because it will be hard to not do what they are doing.

Just a Hiker
11-20-2010, 17:28
I think your budget is totally within reason. You've gotten alot of good advice on this topic, the best advice being to watch your money early so that you've got enough to get you through New England. $20 hostels aren't as plentiful in New England, and resupply is more expensive as well; therefore, what I always suggest in New England is to get to town early in the day......handle your business (shop and eat....ect.) then back to the trail that same day. Like someone else has already stated, try and hike with people with the same budget and goals, and you'll be fine. Have a great hike!

Just Jim

darkage
11-20-2010, 19:31
My brother and i will be doing a 2012 thru-hike and we broke down our budget by month .... So we can't over due it early in the hike .... We've done quite a few 2-3 week trips and only spent $200-$250 for BOTH of us ... we are gonna budget $500 a month for 2 of us ... mind you its mostly a food/town food budget ... and a hostel here and there, clean clothes ... etc. You can easily do it on that .... Just stick too the goal, getting to maine.

4eyedbuzzard
11-20-2010, 23:22
My brother and i will be doing a 2012 thru-hike and we broke down our budget by month .... So we can't over due it early in the hike .... We've done quite a few 2-3 week trips and only spent $200-$250 for BOTH of us ... we are gonna budget $500 a month for 2 of us ... mind you its mostly a food/town food budget ... and a hostel here and there, clean clothes ... etc. You can easily do it on that .... Just stick too the goal, getting to maine.
$500/mo = $58 per person per week = approx $8 per day. Stay in a $20 hostel (cheap), spend $3 on a load of laundry, and you've got $35 for food for a week. Pretty slim pickins. Oops, haven't bought fuel yet or batteries. Down to $4 a day or so for food. :-? Not saying it can't be done, but there's no room for comfort or unexpected expenses - or cold beer and a hot pizza.

StubbleJumper
11-21-2010, 11:02

Well, I'm not saying that it absolutely cannot be done, but I'm wondering what you are eating. A budget of $500/month for two people is about $8 per-day, per-person. Not counting town food, that's roughly what I spend to eat ($30-40 per re-supply).

If you are very careful, it's possible that you could find cheap, nutritious food to eat. Perhaps bulk oatmeal for breakfast, bulk rice or couscous for supper and cheap snacks during the day. But if you're planning to eat "hiker food," meaning Lipton/Ramen/Kraft/Idahoan together with packets of tuna/salmon/chicken, that adds up pretty quickly. You can't even consider Mountain House or other prepared trail foods.

I'm really having trouble seeing how you'd not basically burn your entire budget for trail food alone. And, you need nutritious food to do the miles!

darkage
11-21-2010, 19:48
True true .... Thats what i had it listed to begin .... its not my top budget .... just something i had in place ... i'll make changes since i see what your both saying ....