PDA

View Full Version : Satelite phone

tawa
11-18-2010, 14:32
What are your thoughts concerning using a satelite phone us a cell phone on a thru hike on the AT. Are satelite phones expensive to buy and/or can u rent them for this time period?
Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

10-K
11-18-2010, 14:35
It's overkill for most folks - if you absolutely have to be available all the time it's the only way.

Google 'satellite phone' for pricing.....

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2010, 14:37
Satellite Phone Rental Iridium 9505a for $62.93/Week

View specification (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/iridium-9505a-satellite-phone.shtml)Iridium 9505a Features

Free Incoming Calls
Free Incoming Text Messages (and email up to 120 characters long)
Optional "Two Stage" Dialing feature gives callers you the convenience of a US phone number
Outgoing Call Rate: $1.69 per minute from anywhere in the world
Voicemail
Free 24 hour technical support
Full global coverage
Data available at 9.6 Kbps (requires data kit sold separately)
Water, shock & dust resistant for rugged environments
Headset/Hands-free capability
Up to 30 hours of standby time/3.2 hours of talk time
Iridium 9505a Features

Free Incoming Calls
Free Incoming Text Messages (and email up to 120 characters long)
Optional "Two Stage" Dialing feature gives callers you the convenience of a US phone number
Outgoing Call Rate: $1.69 per minute from anywhere in the world
Voicemail
Free 24 hour technical support
Full global coverage
Data available at 9.6 Kbps (requires data kit sold separately)
Water, shock & dust resistant for rugged environments
Headset/Hands-free capability
Up to 30 hours of standby time/3.2 hours of talk time

Not really needed. but if you want to lug one now you know.

BrianLe
11-18-2010, 14:44
I've been thinking along these lines for the CDT, which is a more remote trail. For the AT, I suggest that you get a Verizon pre-paid cheap cell phone and you'll be able to connect quite often.
If it's essential to you for whatever reason to be able to communicate, there's a DeLorme GPS (PN-60w) which comes paired with a version of SPOT that allows for sending short text messages. Limited one-way communication, and you don't need a GPS on the AT either, so also somewhat overkill. It's what I'm using on the CDT, however, as I think cell reception will be a lot more limited.

HiKen2011
11-18-2010, 14:50
I saw a used one recently for $595.00, I think. Includes 222 minutes, warranty and some other stuff. Satellite phones. com I think??????????? :-?

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2010, 14:56
I've been thinking along these lines for the CDT, which is a more remote trail. For the AT, I suggest that you get a Verizon pre-paid cheap cell phone and you'll be able to connect quite often.
If it's essential to you for whatever reason to be able to communicate, there's a DeLorme GPS (PN-60w) which comes paired with a version of SPOT that allows for sending short text messages. Limited one-way communication, and you don't need a GPS on the AT either, so also somewhat overkill. It's what I'm using on the CDT, however, as I think cell reception will be a lot more limited.

The mass produced prepaid phones are suspect. I have used several, a quality phone appears to me to have better service reception or is made better. Many of the prepaid - lacked signal strength and service in side by side tests. With no explaination.

Spokes
11-18-2010, 15:31
Well if you did carry one, you'll be a sure hit in all the shelters.........

couscous
11-22-2010, 22:28
The TerreStar was just released for consumers today.. http://www.terrestar.com/genus.php

Shutterbug
11-22-2010, 22:50
What are your thoughts concerning using a satelite phone us a cell phone on a thru hike on the AT. Are satelite phones expensive to buy and/or can u rent them for this time period?
Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

I used to carry a sat phone when I hiked, but I have replaced it with a SPOT and a cell phone. They are cheaper and much lighter.

4eyedbuzzard
11-22-2010, 22:55
The TerreStar was just released for consumers today.. http://www.terrestar.com/genus.php
A bargain at $1149 :rolleyes:
Okay, if your business demands it, or it gives you the "freedom" to hike beacuse you must be connected, go for it. But man that's expensive. And how many proprietary flat Lithium-ion batteries would a hiker have to buy to keep it powered up between recharges?

Spokes
11-22-2010, 23:41
Better duct tape the thing to your head when going through Mahoosuc Notch!

couscous
11-23-2010, 00:20
I'm more concerned with the total cost over 24 months. Currently the pricing plans seem to make no mention of the satellite option or per/minute cost. If satellite usage was included in the purchase price and $39.99/month plan option, then the total cost over 24 months would be about $2100 or less than many people pay over 24 months for their smart phones with voice/text/data plans. But that's not likely as AT&T probably plans to wait until people purchase the unit and sign up for a 2-year plan before informing them that it's another $600 over 24-months to have the satellite option plus a $.65/minute usage fee.

Bucherm
11-23-2010, 04:02

I wouldn't buy anything from Terrestar(not that I have the money). The company is on lifesupport at the moment, all getting loans through bankruptcy filings.

Rain Man
11-23-2010, 09:52
I'm biased, but if you're serious about a "sat phone," I believe these are the folks you'd want to speak with to get some straight info about the various phones and providers (who do seem to go into and out of bankruptcy, with resulting failing aged satellites and spotty coverage).

Outfitter Satellite (http://www.outfittersatellite.com/), right here in Nashville.

Rain:sunMan

paradoxb3
11-28-2010, 22:01
cell coverage on the AT was plenty good enough for me and everyone i hiked with that carried a phone. If its any help, I put together a how-to post recently in the General forum for a free DIY SPOT-like system using a broadband capable smartphone (iphone, andriod, blackberry, windows). You might check that out. A friend and I put together this website: http://www.devinhiking.com i managed every few days to post coordinates from my phone while on the trail. i have verizon, which seemed to have the best coverage among our group.

cbeaves
12-02-2010, 02:27
I think it's overkill. IMO, Verizon had the best service on trail and if Verizon doesn't work, AT&T probably will and it seems like you can always find a fellow hiker with a different cell service provider on trail if you really need to use a phone. Maine was pretty spotty all around for reception though.

leaftye
12-02-2010, 04:50
The Terrastar doesn't seem so awful if the $70/month unlimited service plan is unlimited for satellite too. It's way more than I would spend, but I have no need or desire for a satellite phone at this time.

Don Newcomb
09-24-2011, 21:15
Free Incoming Calls

Iridium calls are only "Free Incoming" if placed to their +8816 or +8817 country codes. These calls normally cost several dollars per minute to make. Calls made to the US gateway numbers cost the Iridium customer something like $1.50/min, last time I checked.

theresmorethanthis
10-02-2011, 23:06
If you want to save on baterys and charge any electronics on the trail wile hikeing check out this portible solar panel. http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-solaris-usb-2-foldable-solar-panels.html