PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tools

saimyoji
12-13-2004, 18:09
Does anyone carry a multi-tool (Leatherman, Winchester, etc.)? I'm guessing not many people do, but if you do what do you carry and what kinds of jobs do you use it for? I'm anticipating gear repairs, materials aquisition, food prep. What else?

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 18:42
I carry a Leatherman Micra. It has a small sharp blade, a screwdriver, tweezers, nail file, and scissors. It does everything I have ever needed - mostly cutting, nail care, and making the occasional stove. It weighs about 1.7 ounces. I think it is pretty close to perfect for a hiker tool.

SalParadise
12-13-2004, 20:35
I started with the Leatherman Micra before I lost it in some dude's car. I used the knife to open food packages and cut my fingernails and the scissors to cut the moustache-hair from my mouth. Never really needed it for anything else.

TakeABreak
12-14-2004, 00:17
I started with a craftsman multi tool, they have one about the size of a box of matches, it did everything I needed, it got misplaced somewheres around gooch gap shelter. after I switched stoves to the canister type i no longer needed it nor did I miss it.

Trout
12-14-2004, 09:24
I also carry the Leatherman Micra & find it fullfills almost all trail needs.

Kerosene
12-14-2004, 09:54
I carry the Buck mini-tool which, at 1.5 ounces, works great for me.

TDale
12-14-2004, 10:44
I've got small scissors in my first-aid kit, so I keep a victorinox mechanic in my mess kit.

Groucho
12-14-2004, 14:24
Does anyone carry a multi-tool (Leatherman, Winchester, etc.)? I'm guessing not many people do, but if you do what do you carry and what kinds of jobs do you use it for? I'm anticipating gear repairs, materials aquisition, food prep. What else?

How's this (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.98069/dept_id.L2~314/qx/product.htm) for a multipurpose tool? What's next, a 9 mm?

I use a Swiss Deluxe Tinker, a massive 4 oz. Seems other hikers get more use out of it than I do.

TDale
12-14-2004, 15:22
Too loud. How bout a blowgun?

http://www.crawfordknives.com/survivalstaff.htm