Requirements:

-Under 9 oz (or so)
-No cargo pockets
-Not convertible
-No cotton
-Not anywhere close to $100 in price
-The simpler the better
-Tough enough for off 'shwacking

My last pair was dumb luck at the Sierra Trading Post in Cody, WY, and I can't find anything that suits me for a much needed replacement... The appearance of my butt cheeks is becoming imminent. Suggestions?

mweinstone
11-19-2010, 02:04
moonbow gear owned by our own wonderful big john is your best place to get what i got. arrived a week ago. weighes a few grams. my new silnon rain pants are so versitile i could hike in them forever. thanks buddy. matthewski love big john an moonbow designs.have no money and you sent no bill. send price and ill git it quicklike.love matty.

Serial 07
11-19-2010, 02:05
RAB makes great hiking pants...

burntoutphilosopher
11-19-2010, 07:32
i like the mountain hardwear Mesa pant.

mine look new after a 700 mile section hike this year... they have great features... and for me i'm shorter and these come in a 28 inch inseam.

REI adventurer pants used to be great but i dont like the new version this year.

verber
11-19-2010, 13:50
For strait out backpacking I have a different set of criteria... but your list is a lot like the one I use for adventure travel: can be use in the back country, but can also pass for business casual. My absolute requirements for these sorts of pants are made from a quick dry material than is reasonably durable, has no cargo style pockets, no prominent logos, no obvious reinforced bum/knees, and no zip-off legs. Extra credit if the material looks like classic chino twill on the outside but is lightly calendared on the inside for comfort, good cut, has pockets that are deep enough that things don't fall out when I sit down in a chair that slopes back, and it has a small "change" pocket at the top of the right front pocket, doesn't have "discreet" inseam pockets on the side of the leg, doesn't have a built in belt. My favorite today are the Royal Robbins Global Taveler Pant (https://www.royalrobbins.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=70&SEName=mens-global-traveler-pant). They match everything except the change pocket. There are numerous pants that meet all my required criteria and some of my extra credit including the Railriders Backcountry Khakis (http://www.railriders.com/men-backcountry-khakis-p-859.html) (pockets not deep enough, cut a bit baggy), Ex Officio Nomad Pants (http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=1021-5125) (discreet cell phone pocket on the side), Patagonia Sol Pants (material sort of shiny and no change pocket), and a now discontinued Mountain Hardware Canyon Pants (mesh belt, no change pocket).

--Mark

Kerosene
11-19-2010, 22:14
You might also take a look at the BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/thorofare_trekking_pant.html). I bought a pair mostly for the weight (4 oz!), but I was really impressed with their durability (through briars for a quarter mile plus 40 trail miles and a lot of kneeling without any signs of wear); breathability in 60-degree temperatures; and how quickly they would dry. My only recommendations would be to remove the small leg pocket and add a mesh liner. They're expensive at $75, but they're part of my kit now.

Joshuatree
11-20-2010, 00:39
I've had really good luck with the Kuhl quick dry pants they are extremely tough had the same couple pairs for 3 years and still going strong no stains or holes and they've had enough wear and abuse to be treadbare. Little expensive at $60 but if you shop around you can find them on sale for around $45. they dry in a flash I can ride my bike to work in a light rain shower and they are bone dry within 15 min of getting to work they aren't listed as stain resitant but I've gotten everything from swamp mud to motor oil on them and it washes out without much special treatment beyond rubding a little laundry soap into the stains before washing

verber
11-20-2010, 13:55
I will second kerosene recommendation of the thorfare pant. I didn't listed them because the have a leg pocket... But it's not cargo (pleated) so maybe it would be ok for you. I have been using them since the line was released. I guess a year or two now. Very happy with their performance once the temp is below 50f. They are as good as any other pants in warmer conditions... It's just that I typically use shorts on a kilt when the conditions are above 50f for the ventilation

Mark

Tinker
11-20-2010, 23:32
Check out Stephenson's convertapants. www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com)

TheYoungOne
11-27-2010, 22:24
I've had really good luck with the Kuhl quick dry pants they are extremely tough had the same couple pairs for 3 years and still going strong no stains or holes and they've had enough wear and abuse to be treadbare. Little expensive at $60 but if you shop around you can find them on sale for around $45. they dry in a flash I can ride my bike to work in a light rain shower and they are bone dry within 15 min of getting to work they aren't listed as stain resitant but I've gotten everything from swamp mud to motor oil on them and it washes out without much special treatment beyond rubding a little laundry soap into the stains before washing

I have a pair of Kuhl and the only issue is do contain a percentage of cotton. They still repeal water very well, but once they get soaked they do dry a little slower than nylon pants. Still I hand wash a pair, wringed them out, and hung up a pair at sunset, by midnight all my nylon clothing was dry, and the kuhl were still damp, however by sunrise it was bone dry. What I do like about them is they are "blue jeans/work pants" tough and the are much better then those thin nylon pants in terms of wind and cold protection.

A good all Nylon option for me has been LL Bean's Timberledge pants. $49.99 for hiking pants with a gusseted crotch, articulated knees and a free belt.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/49324?from=SR&feat=sr

4eyedbuzzard
11-27-2010, 22:34
i like the mountain hardwear Mesa pant.

mine look new after a 700 mile section hike this year... they have great features... and for me i'm shorter and these come in a 28 inch inseam.

REI adventurer pants used to be great but i dont like the new version this year.
Second on the Mountain Hardwear Mesa. They seem to run a bit long (1/2" or so). I take a 31 inseam in street clothes but their 30 inseam fits me perfectly for hiking pants (I prefer trail pants to be a bit shorter anyway).

Praha4
11-28-2010, 22:07
ExOfficio makes best hiking pants,

my preference is the Ex Officio 'air strip' pants. They are vented down the inside of the legs.