PDA

View Full Version : Venison Jerky/Protein

tawa
11-19-2010, 16:36
Was fortunate enough to take two Doe's last weekend from my woods here in SW Indiana. The guy that is processing my meat is going to prepare nothing but venison jerky out of the one. My thinking is that it is light weight, lean prtein source, easy to eat on while hiking and won't spoil.
Any thoughts on this as I plan on my wife sending me packages of it throughout the hike.
The processor let me sample some Ostrich Jerky which was also quite nice.
What type of fiber would you suggest to go along with it so as not to get constipated?

leaftye
11-19-2010, 17:02
I love jerky, but I opted to go without it this year. It takes a long time to eat. I'm a slow hiker, so downtime is very undesirable. It requires a lot of hand holding, which can expose hygiene problems and means putting away a trekking pole if I'm to chew and hike at the same time. I'm not crazy about the kind of animals that meat odors can attract, so at the very least I'd want to use an odor proof bag even if the critters can't get into my food. That said, if you'll actually eat it on the trail, then do it. Eating enough is one of the hardest things to do on the trail, and it seems that most hikers fail to do an adequate job of it.

Gorp has enough fiber for me, but then again I also get a lot of fiber from putting oat muscle powder into my shakes.

Dogwood
11-19-2010, 17:32
Not really lite wt as far as cals/oz go in my book. Very lean. Good protein. Hey, you got it. Process some into venison jerky for the trail. Elk, buffalo, chicken, and fish(salmon) jerky can be good too. Um Um salmon candy!

Dogwood
11-19-2010, 17:35
Advice: Keep it dry and sealed in an airtight package until you open it to eat it.

Deadeye
11-19-2010, 21:20
plenty of dried fruit and plenty of water will go nicely with your dried meat!

Pedaling Fool
11-20-2010, 08:55
Was fortunate enough to take two Doe's last weekend from my woods here in SW Indiana. The guy that is processing my meat is going to prepare nothing but venison jerky out of the one. My thinking is that it is light weight, lean prtein source, easy to eat on while hiking and won't spoil.
Any thoughts on this as I plan on my wife sending me packages of it throughout the hike.
The processor let me sample some Ostrich Jerky which was also quite nice.
What type of fiber would you suggest to go along with it so as not to get constipated?
In addition to Jerky, I dehydrate all sorts of veggies (and some fruit). You can look up the nutritional values of the various veggies online, but I believe my highest source of fiber came from the broccoli (sp?).