PDA

View Full Version : What's the best food dehydrator

Freedom Walker
11-19-2010, 21:47
I want to get a very good dehydrator for Christmas and I want it it to be useful for getting trail meals ready as well as drying fruit ( I grow blueberries). This may have up come before, so I apologize. Thanks

medicjimr
11-19-2010, 22:56
I have been using my Nesco for 2 years love it although I do like the I believe it's called the Excalibur Dehydrators there about $300 compared to $ 50 for nesco They have the flat trays that slide in and out .

Half Note
11-20-2010, 01:25
Yeah, I've done my research on these. The Excaliburs are the best. You definitely want horizontal dehydration (faster/efficient). I made the mistake in purchasing a Vegikiln and it was horrible. I bought it because it was considerably cheaper than the Excalibur.

The trays acted as the "door" for the unit and it didn't not dehydrate properly at all and took a crazy long time. It's gotten some good reviews so I don't know if it was just the one I received or what, but it didn't do it's job.

If you don't mind paying the bigger bucks, go for the Excalibur. Looks like they've gone down in price: http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-2900-9-Tray-Food-Dehydrator/dp/B000Q7GUJ2/ref=pd_sbs_k_3
(http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-2900-9-Tray-Food-Dehydrator/dp/B000Q7GUJ2/ref=pd_sbs_k_3)
/my two cents

leaftye
11-20-2010, 01:45
Yeah, don't get the round stacking trays. They're a hassle you shouldn't deal with if you have the money for straight front loading trays.

Spokes
11-20-2010, 11:49
Half Note is right- horizontal drying is the way to go and the price on that Excalibur model is very reasonable.

Pedaling Fool
11-20-2010, 11:55
I also have the Excalibur. If you do a lot of dehydrating that's the way to go. If you don't do so much dehydrating or you're just getting into it and not sure, then go with a model you get at a department store.

Bags4266
11-20-2010, 12:06
If you want to spend that money go for the Excal. many others including myself use the round nesco (Professional model), It cost around $50. at amazon and I run mine almost non stop for days when preparing for a section. Works great.

Wise Old Owl
11-20-2010, 12:10
Yeah, don't get the round stacking trays. They're a hassle you shouldn't deal with if you have the money for straight front loading trays.

:eek: Nothing wrong with the round trays.

skinewmexico
11-20-2010, 12:14
They all work. The thing I find more important is a thermostat. You can get Excalibers on factory direct on EBay at a good price some times. My Nesco works great though. Laurie Ann will probably chime in here in a minute.

alverhootzt
11-20-2010, 12:54
I have a 5-tray Excalibur that I'm happy with, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I bought it because I'm a raw foodist and the thermostat works best for my needs. It's actually a bit complicated - here's a link to the science/theory behind it if you're interested, all about fluctuating temperature:

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/enzymes_and_thermostat_control.htm

I have heard over and over again how much more work the bottom or top dryers are having to move the trays around to get equal drying, but I've never owned one.

tiptoe
11-20-2010, 18:50
I have a 5-tray Excalibur, too, and it's been very useful, not only for dehydrating trail meals and fruit, but also for drying cherry tomatoes and herbs. I paid roughly $200 for it several years ago.

Freedom Walker
11-26-2010, 14:41
After looking at different models, I have decided to order the 9 tray 2900 Excalibur. Question, what about ordering the non-stick dehydrating sheets. Will I need them.

HeartFire
11-26-2010, 16:08
Excalibur. period.

HeartFire
11-26-2010, 16:09
After looking at different models, I have decided to order the 9 tray 2900 Excalibur. Question, what about ordering the non-stick dehydrating sheets. Will I need them.

yes, you will need them, but google it and find cheaper ones on line, They are worth every single penny you will pay for them - have one for each try, I use mine all the time.

alverhootzt
11-27-2010, 00:36
I use my sheets more than the regular trays - good for crackers, fruit/veggie leathers, granola, etc. I bought them at the same time as the dehydrator and got them at a discount or got a couple free or something. I think you'll be happy with it.