PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Dinner

Mother Natures Son
11-20-2010, 17:30
I just made a good (early) Thanksgiving dinner becase we might be away. My wife loved eating the great food which I made but this makes me think. Is anyone going away or be on the trail durning the holiday?

P.S. Forgive me if this post goes downhill as I've been up since 0330 hours today.

Wise Old Owl
11-20-2010, 17:35
I am sure a few will take advantage of the trail due to being empty nestors and without family... Sort of like going to church on your own.

russb
11-20-2010, 17:41
I will be in the woods, but not completely on trail. In the Adirondacks, partially on trail, partial bushwhack, partial walking in the steps of a trail that has been gone for decades.

moytoy
11-20-2010, 19:02
I do a 10 mile hike every Thanksgiving morning. On the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge there is a drive called the Black Point Wildlife Drive. Halfway around the drive is a 5 mile walk that takes you out to the Indian River. I do the walk twice and then return home for some Turkey and Dressing. It's not exactly being on the trail but it gets my daily 10 mile walk done. Thanksgiving dinner has had to start without me a few times.

GracefulRoll
11-20-2010, 19:02
I blew off Thanksgiving dinner plans to go hiking. :) I'll be on the trail for the whole day.

lunatic
11-20-2010, 19:15
I will be on the trail for most of the week. Trying to decide what to have to eat on Thurs night. Maybe dehydrated mashed potatoes with bacon bits, tuna, and a lot of hot sauce!!

wcgornto
11-20-2010, 19:23
Last year on Thanksgiving, I hiked from Dick's Creek Gap near Hiawassee to Blue Mountain shelter, about 19 miles, as I was completing my SOBO hike. I must have sen around 40 people or so out on the trail in the afternoon. I guess they were working off the extra calories from their Thanksgiving feasts.

jlb2012
11-20-2010, 19:40
looks like I'll be joining a group of other hikers at a FS campground for Thanksgiving dinner - probably in the rain - oh well that's what tarps are for

TomM
11-20-2010, 19:41
I'll be on the trail beginning tomorrow. Deep Gap down to Amicalola Falls.