PDA

View Full Version : Trail Runners and Pack Weights

Sensei
11-21-2010, 03:01
Hey, everyone. So, I'm considering making the switch from mid-height boots to trail runners and I want some opinions. According to my understanding, the commonly held view is that more foot support is needed for more weight carried (of course, this may or may not be true). Here are my questions for those that prefer to hike in trail runners:

1. What kinds of pack weights do you typically carry?

2. Do you prefer to hike with trekking poles? I've never used them, but they would seem to provide a measure of ankle security that low-cut trail runners might not.

Thanks!

leaftye
11-21-2010, 04:38
According to my understanding, the commonly held view is that more foot support is needed for more weight carried (of course, this may or may not be true).

That probably is the commonly held view, but I believe it's rubbish. Wait, do you mean foot support like the plantar fascia or the ankle?

If you mean the plantar fascia, then no. Sort of. More foot strength is needed when the weight on your feet is increased. It doesn't matter if the weight is in your gut or on your back. If you don't have the foot strength because your feet are weak or injured, then you may want to turn to supportive insoles. I think that's a bad way to do it. I believe it's much better to allow your feet to grow as strong as possible. Relying on insole supports can leave you vulnerable and in a lot of pain when those insoles wear out, but if you need them, you need them. Fortunately there's plenty of time to strengthen your feet before the next thru hiking season.

Ankle support is piss poor in hiking boots. If it had great support, it would be horrible footwear to hike in. Some people find that they turn their ankles less in very minimal footwear, which includes some trail runners. I find that I abuse my ankles less when I wear trail runners. With boots, I feel like I can ignore the ground because I can't feel it through the sole, but then I step on a rock and turn my ankle.

Anywhere from just above 20 to over 70 pounds, but typically my pack weight is on the lighter side because I'm actually trying to go for distance. My first two reasons for using trail runners are that they breathe well enough that I don't have to waste time taking breaks to cool off my feet and the lighter weight makes it easier for me to ascend.

2. Do you prefer to hike with trekking poles? I've never used them, but they would seem to provide a measure of ankle security that low-cut trail runners might not.

I started using trekking poles because I found out how much my knees hated it when I ran down a mountain every weekend with a pack on. Oops! Also, in the winter the trekking poles made traversing snow covered scree fields more safe because it provided a way for me to catch myself in case a foot fell into a hole.

gumball
11-21-2010, 07:19
My pack weight is 35 or under and I've always used trekking poles.

Phreak
11-21-2010, 09:28
I only hike in trail runners. Pack weight varies from 10 pounds to 40+ pounds. I use trekking poles 90% of the time.

Serial 07
11-21-2010, 09:35
i would think your pack would have to be 35 lbs or less for trail runners...more weight on your back should equal more sturdy shoes...

i didn't use poles during my thru, but now i've seen how useful they really are...they make downhills easier and i seem to move a little faster when i bring'em...

QiWiz
11-21-2010, 09:48
Base pack weight for AT is 12-13 pounds. Total pack weight with 4 days food, fuel, and 40 oz water is 20-21 pounds.

I hike in trail runners even when carrying heavy loads (like 35 total pounds for an 8 day trip in late fall without resupply). I have strong ankles.

Have knee arthritis (can hear them grind going up stairs when its quiet) so always use trekking poles on downhills, steep uphills, and stream crossings.

bigcranky
11-21-2010, 10:15
I switched to trail runners in April, 2000 -- I still vividly remember the hike. At that time we were hiking with a 10 year old, and I was carrying around 40-45 pounds. Switching to trail runners was a revelation -- at the end of the day, my feet and legs didn't hurt, and I didn't get a single heel blister.

stumpknocker
11-21-2010, 11:15
That probably is the commonly held view, but I believe it's rubbish. Wait, do you mean foot support like the plantar fascia or the ankle?

If you mean the plantar fascia, then no. Sort of. More foot strength is needed when the weight on your feet is increased. It doesn't matter if the weight is in your gut or on your back. If you don't have the foot strength because your feet are weak or injured, then you may want to turn to supportive insoles. I think that's a bad way to do it. I believe it's much better to allow your feet to grow as strong as possible. Relying on insole supports can leave you vulnerable and in a lot of pain when those insoles wear out, but if you need them, you need them. Fortunately there's plenty of time to strengthen your feet before the next thru hiking season.

Ankle support is piss poor in hiking boots. If it had great support, it would be horrible footwear to hike in. Some people find that they turn their ankles less in very minimal footwear, which includes some trail runners. I find that I abuse my ankles less when I wear trail runners. With boots, I feel like I can ignore the ground because I can't feel it through the sole, but then I step on a rock and turn my ankle.

There's not many times I find myself in agreement with someone from California, but I think leaftye is spot on with his/her comment above. :)

sparky2000
11-21-2010, 11:22
For the bare answer - the barefoot sisters

Old Grouse
11-21-2010, 11:50
My biggest concerns are fit and sole protection. You can get both in a low cut shoe without the weight penalty, poorer ventilation and longer drying time of a higher style.

At my age I always use trekking poles. For me they're useful everywhere except on dead flat ground, road-walking, etc.

Wolf - 23000
11-21-2010, 14:28
Total weight is about 10-12 pounds - less food weight after each day.

I don't use hiking poles.

Wolf

garlic08
11-21-2010, 21:33
I haven't worn anything but trail runners for many seasons. My average total pack weight is less than 15 pounds, my max weight is 30 pounds, but I would not wear boots if the load were much heavier. Trail runners have strengthened my ankles and made my hiking pain-free. Sometimes I need to wear boots for trail work, and always regret it at the end of the day. Sometimes I use two poles, sometimes one, often none. Depends on the trail and what shelter I'm carrying.

runfifty
11-21-2010, 22:37
I backpacked in running shoes for many years without problems. For my thru hike this year I switched to INOV-8 Roclite 288's and loved them. They weighed less than 10 ounces each, provided adequate support and were very grippy on wet rocks. The cushioning was adequate for all except the rocky PA section and I never had any blister or foot problems at all. My base weight was around 25 pounds, plus food and water.
I can't even imagine trying the AT without hiking poles. The last 1000+ miles I never saw a thru hiker that didn't use them. Check out the Lighttrek carbon fiber poles from Gossamer Gear. Mine lasted the entire trip without breaking and were light as a feather.

Sensei
11-21-2010, 22:56
Thanks for the input, everyone. After much consideration, and with the help of your suggestions, I think I'm going to give runners and poles a shot.

Dogwood
11-21-2010, 23:36
You leave out what I consider to be crucial details about why you are opting for trail runners. I never opt for a trail/day hiking/long distance hiking shoe, no matter how it's labeled, defined, or advertised SOLELY based on my pack wt. Pack wt is only one aspect to consider if you are considering going from a mid-cut boot(trail shoe) to a trail runner. When considering the switch from a mid-cut trail shoe(I hestitate to say the word boot because in many hiking circles the word boot brings up preconceived negative notions of what defines a boot) to a low cut trail runner. I would not only consider the wt on my back but also consider such aspects as trail terrain(ie; thread for example), trail conditions, avg weather patterns, existing or prone to certain injury medical conditions(joints(knees, ankles, hips, spine), musculoskeletal, muscles, feet, etc) how many MPD I was consistently planning on hiking, length of hike, if off trail hiking will be involved, my current physical condition(ie; do I already have an adequately strengthened hiking body, ie; ankles, knees, leg muscles, shoulders, chest, etc), hiking style, hiking experience level(YES, being an experienced hiker teaches one how to walk/hike more comfortable and efficiently!), etc

I would also caution you and everyone reading this post that there exists quite a few low cut model trailrunners made in mid-cut versions! Some of these models REALLY blur the lines between what is a boot and a trail runner and, IMO, are redefining how we have traditionally thought about boots!

I love trail runners but I do not only hike in trail runners!

I love certain types/styles of boots for certain hikes but I do not only hike in boots!

Many conditions dictate the use of any type of hiking shoe!

On 85% of my hikes, which are typically long distance affairs lasting at least 2500 miles, I do not use trekking poles!

I'm an ULer with a typical 3 season base wt(like an AT thru-hike) under 10 lbs!

skinewmexico
11-21-2010, 23:54
The ankle support of most boots is a well repeated urban myth.

wirerat123
11-24-2010, 16:50
Trail Runners, anything under 40lbs and I use trail runners or cross trainers. Over 40lbs and I have some lightweight hiking boots I can wear.

Only once have I wished I had over the ankle boots and that was a slip where I knocked a sore on my ankle when it hit the rock. Other than that I actually turn my ankles less in the shoes.

Mags
11-24-2010, 18:00
The only shoes/boots I own with true ankle support are my Scarpa Tele boots (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/406,61809_Scarpa-T2-Telemark-Ski-Boot-for-Men.html)....and those were (are!) a bitch-and-a-half to hike in. :)

I mainly hike in trail runners.

As with Garlic, I do wear my boots (Hi-Tec altitudes; pretty light for all leather boots) for trail work.

These same boots were used for my forays into alpine climbing this past summer.

The boots will also be worn on rare occasions for day hikes in mud season just out of pure laziness. (I don't feel like dealing with the mud and/or light snow in my shoes for the day and don't feel like changing out of shoes for the end of the day. I do not use them for backpacking that time of the year, though)

I use poles on almost all my outdoor jaunts FWIW.

peakbagger
11-24-2010, 18:12
I use trailrunners up in New England and for most of the southern AT . I also use trekking poles. If its flat and level I may carry them in my hands, but if there is any up and down or bony conditions I switch over to poles. If its really bony like Mahoosuc notch, I strap them to the outside fo the pack. I do have regular boots for late and early season when its cold and there is a possiblity of snow as trail runners dont retain heat very well.

Raul Perez
11-24-2010, 19:27
I literally just switched to trail runners and did a 3 day hike over the past weekend covering 33 miles in mainly flat terrain. Zero blisters and eliminates the need to have camp shoes. Total pack weight for a 3 day trek with lows into the upper 20's was 22lbs

I always bring my trekking poles.

Lint
01-04-2011, 19:37
My baseweight (everything except food and water) hovers around 8 pounds. I only hike in running shoes and don't carry poles anymore. I used poles on my first two thru hikes, but never really got much benefit from them. Carrying a light pack was MUCH better for my knees than carrying a heavy pack with poles. I think those of us with old worn knees would be much better off lightening their load rather than adding hand crutches.

If you want to experiment with poles, go get a cheap pair of used XC ski poles and try them out. If you like 'em, upgrade to a nice set. Don't be fooled into thinking they are necessary just because everyone else seems to use them, though.

Sun Blazed
05-03-2011, 00:39
Do most of you guys wear gaiters, or do you just not worry about junk getting in your shoes? Just wondering.

gumball
05-03-2011, 05:07
I wear short, light gaiters, yes.

garlic08
05-03-2011, 10:31
I do not wear or need gaiters but I usually wear long trousers and maybe that helps keep junk out of my shoes and socks. (The foxtails on the PCT can drive you nuts.) I've seen gaiters that attach with velcro at the back of the shoe. That would eliminate the problem of breaking the strap all the time.

sixguns01
05-03-2011, 10:58
Hey, everyone. So, I'm considering making the switch from mid-height boots to trail runners and I want some opinions. According to my understanding, the commonly held view is that more foot support is needed for more weight carried (of course, this may or may not be true). Here are my questions for those that prefer to hike in trail runners:

Thanks!

15-20lb pack- started to wear trail runners and love them.

Just started with trekking poles and I believe my knees are going to build a shrine to me now. I hate descents and my knees do even more.

timcat
11-19-2011, 12:32
What about wet feet? Since trail runners are so low, don't you risk gettting soaked socks (and thus possilbe blisters and cold feet)?

Pedaling Fool
11-19-2011, 12:41
I've worn gortex boots and feet still had wet feet; wet feet is just a part of hiking, thanks to sweat.

Summit
11-19-2011, 14:21
I find that I abuse my ankles less when I wear trail runners. With boots, I feel like I can ignore the ground because I can't feel it through the sole, but then I step on a rock and turn my ankle.Exactly! My base pack weight is 24 lbs (I like some comfort items) and I may carry up to 35 lbs with a week's worth of food and no resupply. I've used trekking poles (Black Diamond flik-loc) for about 4 of my 39 years of backpacking and can only say I wish I had wised up sooner! When used properly (which I don't see very many hikers actually doing, unfortunately), trekking poles will take so much stress off your knees it's hard to believe.
39 years ago I wore the heaviest high-top leather boots I could find, 2 1/2 lbs per boot. Why? Because that's what experienced hikers said everyone should wear back in the 70s. Over the years I have gone to less and less weight and support shoes. Today I wear Merrell Moab Ventilators, technically called cross-trainers. The only difference I can find between "trail runners" and "cross-trainers" is the later invariably have Vibram soles and are thus a little heavier, but slipping on wet rock / roots is less of a problem. I'm on my 4th pair of Moabs. Everyone's feet are different so if Moabs don't fit/feel quite right, there are a lot of other very similar choices.

Summit
11-19-2011, 14:24
What about wet feet? Since trail runners are so low, don't you risk gettting soaked socks (and thus possilbe blisters and cold feet)?A pair of sealskinz socks will solve that problem. I don't use mine that much because as John Gault said, sweat will make your feet wet anyway. But I will wear them in a cold, heavy rain because they keep my feet relatively dry and most importantly, warm.

Tinker
11-19-2011, 14:26

Thanks!
1) 25# w/food and water for three seasons, 4-5 days (plus extra clothing in the winter).
2) I prefer to hike with them. They've saved my butt more than once on dicey downhills and stream/mud crossings.
3) (I know, you only asked 2 questions, but here's some extra info. on me) I'm 58 years old, 220 lbs. Hike fast enough to hurt myself sometimes (armchair/weekend warrior), and have moved back to light from ultralight (I guess you could say that I've seen too much light). :D

Tinker
11-19-2011, 14:34
What about wet feet? Since trail runners are so low, don't you risk gettting soaked socks (and thus possilbe blisters and cold feet)?\

This is a valid question, but I think it's strange that it isn't patently obvious.

You'd have to dress in waterproof garments from head to ankle to keep your feet reasonably dry for even one day in the rain - then, you'd probably be wet from sweat as others have mentioned.

I see some folks hiking in the rain with gaiters on. That only delays the inevitable. Water will still run down your legs and into your socks (unless your gaiters have dry suit cuffs on them - then they'd be sweatier than they normally will anyway).

I use sealskinz socks when it's wet but not actively raining. In heavy rain I just keep wearing the same wool socks (for at least 3 days, rinsing and wringing them every night).

You and your feet will get wet, it's a part of hiking. Just do your best to keep your sleepwear, sleeping bag, and insulation layers (for camp) dry by using plastic bags inside your pack.

Carrying a pack towel or Shamwow will allow you to partially dry your feet before going to bed, and rubbing them with alcohol-based hand sanitizer will keep the cooties down.