PDA

View Full Version : Snow Peak Giga and fuel concerns

jerseydave
11-21-2010, 11:48
I am considering the purchase of the Giga Manual but am concerned that I can't find the fuel canisters.

My local walmart used to sell compatable ones and now doesn't stock them any longer.

I know you can't get them easily shipped, now it seems you can't find them locally either.......

Is this going to get even harder to find, making the stove useless?

I made my first Super Cat today, it works well, but thought the Snow Peak would be nice to have also.

Dave

Spokes
11-21-2010, 12:00
Not a problem.

I used an alchy on my thru hike last year and considered a canister stove. I constantly quizzed canister stove users about this and none of them had any issues with finding fuel. In fact, many of them never bought a single one while on the trail- instead swapped out canisters found in hiker boxes along the way.

burntoutphilosopher
11-21-2010, 13:52
i have used snow peak fuel, MSR fuel, and even coleman in my stove it's a 'brunton'

i think any threaded isobutane is good to use; the only real difference is how cold you can use them to.
as long as the threads fit, i think it burns. i would ask the manufacturers (of the fuels, not the stoves)

if your problem is getting canister fuel at all; then sorry can't help : (

gunner76
11-21-2010, 14:55
My local walmart used to sell compatable ones and now doesn't stock them any longer

Did you check the camping section ? The Wartmrt here stocks the canisters by Coleman that work just fine.

khumbukat
11-21-2010, 14:59
Howdy,
These Lindal valve canisters are worldwide. Large size (250 gram) were plentiful in remote areas, such as Leh, Ladakh and Namche Bazar, Khumbu last year and priced under $10 each. Brought a kerosene stove thinking we would need it, and ended up selling it in Uttarkashi.Brewing up tea and lunch at 5000 meters, Pumori in background. We won't trek without one anymore. Snow Peak Giga is as good as it gets. Get the wind screen attachment, it helps a lot. Stephan

jerseydave
11-21-2010, 16:33
if your problem is getting canister fuel at all; then sorry can't help : (

I haven't turned over EVERY rock yet, but so far I'm coming up completely empty handed locally.

Dogwood
11-21-2010, 20:35
You don't need a fuel canister or fuel made by Snow Peak to use your Snow Peak Giga stove. In MOST conditions, other butane/isobutane/propane fuel canisters with the screw on Lindal valve made by MSR, Brunton, Coleman, Jet Boil, etc will work. However, in the coldest conditions that someone might utilize a compressed gas stove you would want a mix made for cold weather like the Jet Boil or Snow peak Giga Gold Pro canisters mixes.

Wher in NJ are you? I'll tell you where you can get canisters for your stove. They are relatively easy to find in the states and on the AT!

jerseydave
11-21-2010, 21:06
Southern Monmouth County, bordering Ocean County.

Thanks,
Dave

Foyt20
11-23-2010, 16:24
Find an EMS, REI or local outdoor store, or take a trip to the famed Campmor (Bergen county, I work in Freehold and its probably 1 1/2 hours from here) and buy a case, and you will never run out. Also, in Brick, try the Jersey Paddler, I think they have outdoor equipment.

There is an EMS in princeton also.

If you need any other suggestions, let me know.

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2010, 16:33
I am considering the purchase of the Giga Manual but am concerned that I can't find the fuel canisters.

My local walmart used to sell compatable ones and now doesn't stock them any longer.

I know you can't get them easily shipped, now it seems you can't find them locally either.......

Is this going to get even harder to find, making the stove useless?

I made my first Super Cat today, it works well, but thought the Snow Peak would be nice to have also.

Dave
Is your concern about finding canisters in your hometown or on a hiking trip along the AT?

If it's on a hiking trip, there's really no problem; I never had a problem with my jetboil and I mostly bought Snow Peak giga power fuel (it was cheapest).

Is this the stove you're considering? http://www.rei.com/product/660004

http://www.rei.com/pix/common/pixel.gif

jerseydave
11-23-2010, 16:34
I think there may be an EMS in Eatontown also...... I'll have to check, thanks.

Dave

4eyedbuzzard
11-23-2010, 16:41
Southern Monmouth County, bordering Ocean County.

Thanks,
Dave
Does Jersey Paddler (1-888-22KAYAK) on the old Laurelton Circle (Rte 70 + Rte 88) in Bricktown (Northern Ocean Cty) have them? If not, it may be because the People's Republic of NJ has listed isobutane as a Hazardous substance.

jerseydave
11-23-2010, 17:56
Is this the stove you're considering? http://www.rei.com/product/660004

Yes, thats the stove..... any comments?

I'm sure from the replies I've gotten, my concerns mat be unfounded.
I was worried that the fuel may become difficult to get everywhere because of the "hazardous shipping" issues.

If the feds cracked down on this because of it's nature, even the stores might find it cost prohibitive to stock it.

I'm sure I'm reading too much into it as usual.

I am a bit concerned about wally world in NJ not carrying it though.......

If I'm gonna buy the stove, I want to be able to get the fuel locally without any hassle. Gonna have to look closer before buying just to be sure.

Dogwood
11-23-2010, 17:58
Yes, Eastern Mountain Sports(EMS) on Rte 35 in Eatontown near the Eatontown mall next to the Borders and Toys R Us across the street from Lowes sells Snow Peak Giga and Jet Boil canisters. There are two REIs in NJ. One in Marlton and the latest one in East Hanover not too far from another EMS and Campmoor.

jerseydave
11-23-2010, 17:59
If not, it may be because the People's Republic of NJ has listed isobutane as a Hazardous substance.

Are my buttons that obvious......? :-?

Gonna have to check with JP..... I've been avoiding them lately though since a SOT Yak has been on my wish list for a while now......

Must fight...... the ...... temp...tat...ion....

Thanks everyone.

jerseydave
11-23-2010, 18:02
Yes, Eastern Mountain Sports(EMS) on Rte 35 in Eatontown near the Eatontown mall next to the Borders and Toys R Us across the street from Lowes sells Snow Peak Giga and Jet Boil canisters. There are two REIs in NJ. One in Marlton and the latest one in East Hanover not too far from another EMS and Campmoor.

Thank you.... $20 bucks for a couple/few canisters won't be too bad......

It's the other $500 I'll likely spend in that place thats gonna sting a bit .... LOL

Dogwood
11-23-2010, 18:28
Listen, if you will, you will not have much of a problem finding fuel canisters for your Snow Peak stove! You may also find Coleman canisters, compatible with your screw on Lindal valve Snow Peak stove, although not necessarily always in the 4 oz size, most often in the 8 oz version, at places like Target, Walmart, KMart. If you hike the AT you will LARGELY NOT encounter issues with finding these canisters on your hike! As Spokes stated, if you do hike the AT you can often, BUT NOT ALWAYS, find partially filled canisters in hiker boxes, at hostels, and definitely at outfitters, etc on, or near, the AT.

Although I have not been in the Jersey Paddler store in Bricktown in 2 yrs, I do believe they used to carry the canisters. Give them a call if you live near there.

DO NOT LET SOMEONE SELL YOU ON HAVING TO USE AN ALCHY STOVE ON THE AT BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY USE!

As you use your stove you will learn roughly about how much fuel you have left for how many boils you want/meals you wish to prepare and can better plan for when you will need to resupply with a canister and make arrangements by looking ahead to places on the trail where you can pick up a new one. Obviously, the 8 oz sized canisters last longer than the 4 oz sizes if you are concerned about resupplying canisters less frequently and don't mind carrying the extra ozs and larger sized canisters.

You will have little problem shipping canisters through the US Postal Service in the lower 48 if you label them as ground shipping only. Labels are available free of charge at the PO. I know those who illegally ship them in the U.S. by not declaring them as ground ship only and have never had a problem with their resupply packages getting to their intended locations on time because their resupply package contained flammable compressed gas. HOWEVER, I would not advise this because if something accidental was to occur you could be charged with a crime.

I use a Snow Peak manual stove if I'm using a compressed gas/isobutane stove on hikes.

jerseydave
11-23-2010, 19:34
Dogwood,

thank you for all the effort and info.

Johnny Thunder
11-25-2010, 20:20
my girlfriend has one similar...we brought it to korea. stuff's everywhere here (except for our local grocer which stocks ethanol-based canisters). I think that in 2008 there was an even split between hikers with alcohol stoves and hikers with canister fuel stoves. canister users just had to think ahead a stop or two so that they were sure they'd have fuel. i imagine that maine is a bit of a dry stretch but no one seemed to have problems.

bigcranky
11-25-2010, 20:36
Are my buttons that obvious......? :-?

Gonna have to check with JP..... I've been avoiding them lately though since a SOT Yak has been on my wish list for a while now......

Must fight...... the ...... temp...tat...ion....

Thanks everyone.

You NEED a kayak. Seriously, you live in a great place for paddling. Lots of coastal kayaking, backwater rivers, etc. We finally sprung for our own yaks this year, and life is good.

The Snowman
11-25-2010, 20:39
if your having trouble finding cannasters down the shore try looking in one of the many marine supply stores lotts of boaters use this type of stove.

jerseydave
11-26-2010, 10:47
if your having trouble finding cannasters down the shore try looking in one of the many marine supply stores lotts of boaters use this type of stove.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks