PDA

View Full Version : 3 months, where should I start?

Kirsten
11-21-2010, 13:57
Hey everybody

I would love to walk the AT next year and if I could I would try a thruhike, but unfortunately I've got "only" 2 months and 3 weeks off from University.
(1. June ~ 24. August)
I would like to finish at mount Kathadin, so I have to start somewhere in the middle. If I walk around 25 km every day I should be able to make around 2000 km in this time. Do you think this is realistic?
I already did two hikingtrails in Spain (1000km and 800km) and in the end I could easily walk 30-35 km a day, but it was a rather flat terrain.
Right now I have no idea where to start and it would be important for me to meet other people on the trail, maybe I could catch up with some thruhikers who started in march/april?
It would be very nice if you could help me a little!

Thanks a lot!

Luddite
11-21-2010, 14:33
Thats about 1240 miles in 3 months. Its possible if you're in decent shape from the get-go. From what U hear, the White Mountains are pretty tough, though. The halfway point is somewhere in Pennsylvania.

Cookerhiker
11-21-2010, 14:35
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Kirsten! Finishing up at Katahdin is indeed a wonderful way to end your hike. I recommend you start at Harpers Ferry. It's a bit less than 2,000 km (if my conversion is accurate - 2,000 km = 1,240 miles, 25 kmpd = 15 mpd) but it will allow for zero days, short resupply days, and if you finish early, some more time for sightseeing.

As you may be aware by now, the White Mountains of New Hampshire and the first 120 miles or so of Maine are very steep and rugged. By starting at Harpers Ferry, you'll have lots of km behind you, ready to tackle those difficult parts.

Harpers Ferry has the added advantage of easy access. Whether you fly to Washington or fly to New York and take the train to Washington, you can easily get a train to Harpers Ferry to start your hike. And yes, starting at HF June 1, you will meet thruhikers.

One caveat: I see you're from Sweden and you've hiked in a hot climate (Spain, assuming you hiked there in hot weather) which is probably a dry heat. Starting in Harpers Ferry June 1 means you'll be hiking in very hot humid weather. The humidity is like you've never experienced - it can sap you! Just imagine some nights where you lie in your tent on top of your sleeping bag sweating all night because it never cools down. You will have some nights like that. Just sayin'

Hope it works!

Odd Man Out
11-21-2010, 15:17
Kirsten

Hiking north from Harper's Ferry sounds like a great idea. Harper's Ferry is an interesting historic town and one of the few places where there is a train station right on the trail. I'm a Swedish-American with a daughter named Kirsten hoping you have a great trip.

Serial 07
11-21-2010, 15:29
it depends on what kind of shape you hit the trail in...good thing for you, you should be able to keep your pack weight down, which will help get some miles done...if i were you, i wouldn't plan on getting max miles every week...that leaves very little wiggle room or chances for real zeros...hiking is fun, but sometimes taking the day off, seeing some small town, having a couple beers, laying around a hotel room with other hikers while watching "Pretty Woman" in the middle of the day on a tuesday is fun...i would plan maybe 90 to 110 mile weeks...

if you come in-shape, PA to CT you can get some real miles done a day, but once you're in VT, assume your miles/day are gonna drop...plus, you're gonna want a few days to recover once you are back home...

so, my advice is Harper's Ferry is a stretch, but it is easier to get to...i'd look for something a couple hundred miles further north and start from there if you can arrange a shuttle...1000 miles seems reasonable, feasible and fun!

Cookerhiker
11-21-2010, 16:28
...the next logical place further north is Duncannon, PA - home of the fabled Doyle Hotel. Starting at Duncannon shaves about 120 miles off your hike to Katahdin. Duncannon is accessible by taking a train from Philadephia to Harrisburg (you may be able to book a train ticket directly from NY but it will via Philadelphia) and contacting Trail Angel Mary for a shuttle from Harrisburg to Duncannon.

Kirsten
11-21-2010, 18:20
Hey guys!

Thank you so much for your help and the good wishes! I think I'll start at Harper's Ferry and just see how far I come. I know that sometimes you love a place so much, that you have to stay there for a day, or you meet a person and you wanna walk together and then suddenly the person gets kneeproblems and slows you down. I guess there is always gonna be a possibility to do some miles by train or sth. if I have to.
I will have at least one week to recover when I'm back in Sweden, since Uni starts in September again.

Yeah well to be honest I am kinda happy that it's going to be hot, cause I am always freezing to death during nights. But it's probably not staying hot or is it???

I've read some articles and most of them say as a woman hiking alone you don't have to be afraid and stuff, but what do you think?
It's kind of a big thing for me, I'll be 21 when I'm doing this, I've never been out of Europe before and I will do this totally alone (since nobody wants to join me, I wonder why :P)
Are there going to be many other hikers around? In Spain I didn't have problems to spend some hours on my own, but I knew what to expect and there were always some people around. Should I bring pepperspray?
I know I have to be careful with poison oak and snakes and well there are bears, but I'm probably not going to see one.
Anything else that could eat me or bite me or whatever?
But there is one thing I've read one article about the moonshiners and some really weird people near the trail and that you should be really careful with these people and about some murders that happend a few years ago.
Should I be concerned about things like that?

About the weight, I'm going to bring my tent, its about 1,5 kg, but I know how to keep it down. I've done this twice and the second time I brought way too much stuff, this will never happen to me again! If I walk for more than two months I'm definetely trying to stay under 10 kg.
I probably won't bring cooking stuff, I'm really not picky when it comes to food when I'm hiking, I eat like everything, if it's cold or warm I don't care.

I have to admit I'm getting kinda excited now!! :)

Anything else I have to think about, that is different from hiking in Spain?

Good night! Kirsten

Luddite
11-21-2010, 18:58
Should you be worried about homicidal moonshiners? No. LOL Don't worry about bears and snakes. Ticks are more of a threat.

Bring pepper spray if it'll give you peace of mind.

Kirsten
11-21-2010, 19:07
Okay just wanted to doublecheck, my Mum will be happy to hear that. :)

emerald
11-21-2010, 19:12
The probability of encountering venomous snakes in Pennsylvania when you have indicated you will visit is not a remote possibility. Pass on the opportunity to prepare yourself at your own peril.

You could encounter timber rattlesnakes and copperheads (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1018380&postcount=42).

sparky2000
11-21-2010, 19:19
There are Many hikers your age doing the trek at that time. You won't be alone.

johnnybgood
11-21-2010, 19:22
Hiking alone during peak hiker thru season would be by one's choice. If you inquire here over the next 6 months you might find a hiking partner to meet you Harpers' Ferry.
Like Luddite said, don't worry so much about bears as pepper spray is a deterrent.
I'd personally be more concerned with ticks and staying well hydrated on hot humid days.

emerald
11-21-2010, 19:34
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/737165/living_with_bears_pdf (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/737165/living_with_bears_pdf)

Cookerhiker
11-21-2010, 19:40
....Yeah well to be honest I am kinda happy that it's going to be hot, cause I am always freezing to death during nights. But it's probably not staying hot or is it??? ....

well there are bears, but I'm probably not going to see one....
.. Kirsten

Re. the heat, you could have some hot days in mid-June (I did in New Jersey - it was manifestly unpleasant) and in general, it will be hot during July days until you get to the highest parts of the White Mountains. Nights will probably start to cool down in Vermont.

Re. bears, you very well may see one, especially in New Jersey.

emerald
11-21-2010, 19:58
On Pennsylvania's State Game Lands, if you keep your eyes open, you could see Scarlet Tanagers (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Scarlet_Tanager/id) and Indigo Buntings (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Indigo_Bunting/id). You can count on hearing a Wood Thrush (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/wood_thrush/id).

DaveSail
11-21-2010, 20:05
Lyme ticks are almost certainly the greatest danger on the AT . If caught soon , Doxycycline will get rid of it . If NOT caught , ( or worse ,
ignored ) , you can have it for life ! It can kill , cause heart - stoppage , cause arthritis ( sp ? ) , mental symptoms , etc . Only SOME tick - bites produce the red - ring . Also , they frequently bite you where you can't
see to check ; ( use your imagination . )

I had a tick - bite which I was unaware of . Didn't know I had been bitten , so didn't get the Doxy in time . Now I have it for life . In my case , my left - leg gets all red and I can't walk . In a week or two the
Doxy gets it temporarily under control . Last March , along with the usual
Redness / Pain , an Ulcer or bubble formed over my ouside , left ankle - bone . After the " bubble " broke , the disease had eaten down to the bone . 5 / 8" diameter hole . Horrible pain for six months . Three different doctors , painful + expensive surgery , and finally the outside hole was coaxed to heal a month ago . But , still painful internally . Only recently could I put on my hiking boots .

Get on the computer , and GOOGLE " Lyme Disease Symptoms " . ( There
are 75 or 80 .) The disease mimics a lot of other diseases , so Doctors are afraid to diasgnose Lyme ! My younger brother had , ( has ) it and they were just about to crack his chest and insert a pacemaker , ( it had stopped his heart 6 or 8 times . ) The Nurse brought them the test - results just barely in time !!

David V. Webber

bigcranky
11-21-2010, 20:31
You'll have plenty of company on the trail. It is generally safe, even for a woman alone, but of course use common sense. If something doesn't feel right, keep walking.

It won't be cold at all at the start, though it might get chilly at night once you get to New Hampshire and Maine.

It's unlikely that you'll be able to keep up with the other thru-hikers (who have been hiking for 1000 miles) at the start, but the terrain in Maryland and Pennsylvania is mostly rolling hills and you'll have your trail legs pretty quickly.

Good luck.

Driver8
11-21-2010, 20:35
Here's my thought - start at Bear Mountain, NY to be sure to finish at Katahdin by 8/24. You'll start in NY's relatively easy Hudson Valley after the initial tough stretch of Bear Mtn. CT gets much hillier, and at its north end and MA's south end you get some true mountains. Mass and VT get gradually tougher, and by then you'll have your trail legs under you. You'll be making good time in VT and ready for the Whites, and beyond, by the time you get to them.

And let's say you finish on August 7 - much better than getting to ME border on August 20, no? If your budget allows, you can head over to Acadia National Park on the ME shoreline, or down to Shenandoah, the Smokies, wherever you wish, with the "left over" time. You would stay mostly ahead of the worst of the summer if you chose this starting point for June 1. It's true, though, that the bulk of thru-hikers would be reaching Harper's Ferry by that date, and the first 100 miles or so of PA is supposed to be relatively less difficult, also letting you get your trail legs.

Bears are more common in recent years in CT and MA, VT, too, so I gather.

As a young woman planning a hike, you might very much enjoy and benefit by Barefoot Sisters: Southbound by Lucy and Susan Letcher, who thru-ed in 2000-01 Southbound. It's an excellent account of their experience, of the friends they made. Their hiking barefoot is more of a sideline to the main story, which is their very full account of what it's like to hike the trail and what you need to know. You might even benefit more from their Walking Home book, which relates the story of their return northbound thru-hike in 2001, started after a week-long break at the end of their SOBO hike. Haven't read it yet, awaiting it via UPS, but I hear it's good.

Kirsten
11-22-2010, 09:43
Okay I'll keep, bears, snakes, ticks, dehydration and even the moonshiners in mind ;) Does pepperspray really help, if you meet a bear that is not in a good mood that day?

About the Lyme desease, I've heard of it, we have it here in Europe too. I had a few tick bites, when I was a kid, but nothing ever happend, but I know how it looks like if you get it.

I think I still try Harper's Ferry, I would love to see the town and I really don't wanna finish early. I'd rather have a little stress, than having too much time. (tried both on my hikes), and I really dont wanna keep hiking if everybody else I was hiking with finishes at mount Katahdin.
I'm probably able to start hiking the 29th of may and have to get back the 22nd of august. I will try to get some miles done in the beginning, so that I can take it "easy" when the mountains are coming. I grew up near the alps (in Germany) so I know what it means to go hiking in the mountains.
It should be possible right?

So if I wanna start in Harper's ferry the smartest thing to do would fly to Washington and take the train, and then back to Sweden probably Boston right?

Next month I will start training for my halfmarathon in may and we are probably going to go hiking for 4 days in Norway in april, I hope that's enough, maybe me legs still remember the 5 weeks of hiking I did this year :P
I'll definitely check, maybe there is really somebody who also wanna start the end of may.

Thank you all for your answers and ideas!

Pedaling Fool
11-22-2010, 09:55
So if I wanna start in Harper's ferry the smartest thing to do would fly to Washington and take the train...
Yes, that's the thing to do, but just know that the train to/from D.C. and Harper's ferry is a commuter train only, thus they don't run on weekends or holidays.

Also, you will see many thru-hikers this time as they are just hitting this spot (or will be soon) and those that haven't gotten there by the time you start will most likely catch up to you.

Pedaling Fool
11-22-2010, 10:43
BTW, this section has the least elevation changes along the entire AT. You won't really get the feel of being in the mountains until Vermont; so, as far as climbing goes you really won't be suffering -- it'll be an easy break-in period with respect to ups and downs.

Digger'02
11-22-2010, 11:28
ok, i have a little diferent suggestion. You might try hiking both the Southern and Northern ends, i think that it would take less planning Than you would think and you could hit about 90% of the top 100 places on the AT.

First, take 1 month to hike from.. Winding Stair, fontana or 40 to troutdale depending on your pace. You'll see the majority of the best stuff of the south which is high on the 'best stuff of the trail' list, roan, the smokies, mt rodgers, max patch, Mt Rodgers etc. Then get a lift (bus?) from Damascus to one of the great trail towns like North Woodstock New Hampshire and hike the Whites and maine, ending on Katahadin.

It might sound like alot of planning, but it will be worth it!

DaveSail
11-22-2010, 13:31
As I said , only a fraction of Lyme - infected - tick bites produce the
" Tell - Tale " red - ring . Some don't even produce redness !
AND , the Lyme Tick is CRAZY SMALL ! Not at all like a " normal " tick !

About this size , INCLUDING LEGS : * !!! Very easy to miss !

If you see one on you , it is important to remove it CORRECTLY !
Doing it wrong can cause the " bad - stuff " to be forced into you !
Read how to do it properly on any of the Lyme Sites on the web . DVW

emerald
11-22-2010, 15:01
I found my favorite black bear link and edited post #13 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1071180&postcount=13). You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it.

Cookerhiker
11-22-2010, 19:24
Kirsten, there are 2 options for taking the train to Harpers Ferry.

1. Commuter trains run by the State of Maryland (MARC). (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/Brunswick_Jan10.pdf)As mentioned, they do not operate on weekends or holidays. You mentioned starting May 29. That's a Sunday and keep in mind that Monday, May 30 is Memorial Day Holiday - no MARC service.

2. The USA's national rail system (a joke compared to Europe) is AMTRAK. One train per day leaves for Washington stopping at Harpers Ferry - the Capitol Limited (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652139).

Note that no matter which train you take, they all leave late afternoon.

Luddite
11-22-2010, 19:27
2. The USA's national rail system (a joke compared to Europe) is AMTRAK. [/URL].

It would be more efficient to hop a freight train, probably more comfortable too.:D

Cookerhiker
11-22-2010, 19:34
It would be more efficient to hop a freight train, probably more comfortable too.:D

Yeah the only problem is where to catch the freight train. They're not around Union Station. Let's see - you take the Metro to Silver Spring, walk to the AMTRAK tracks, hop on the freight (I know they go through Silver Spring).

Kirsten, we're joking!:D

Old Hiker
11-22-2010, 20:08
[QUOTE=Cookerhiker;1071473]Kirsten, there are 2 options for taking the train to Harpers Ferry.

2. The USA's national rail system (a joke compared to Europe) is AMTRAK. One train per day leaves for Washington stopping at Harpers Ferry - the Capitol Limited (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652139).

QUOTE]

Emphasis added above.

This is NOT true. Jokes are supposed to be funny. AMTRAK is not funny compared to anything, let alone typical Euro commuter rail!!!

Luddite
11-22-2010, 21:48
Yeah the only problem is where to catch the freight train. They're not around Union Station. Let's see - you take the Metro to Silver Spring, walk to the AMTRAK tracks, hop on the freight (I know they go through Silver Spring).

Kirsten, we're joking!:D

Look at that leg room (http://yfrog.com/1nlfd9d19f61a88400793c1c3j) :D

Bucherm
11-23-2010, 03:31
Okay I'll keep, bears, snakes, ticks, dehydration and even the moonshiners in mind ;) Does pepperspray really help, if you meet a bear that is not in a good mood that day?

Nope. I think most of the people who read "pepper spray" assumed you meant for creeps on the trail.

Most Black Bears are shy, my biologist friend informs me that Black Bears are descended from prey species from the last Ice Age. I call them dumpster bears, because growing up that was my main experience with them(breaking into trash containers).

Nowadays my vicious combat puggle keeps them at bay.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs609.snc4/58929_424527606821_593091821_5373317_2010867_n.jpg

In all seriousness, Ticks, dehydration, and exposure are going to be much bigger problems than Bears.

Sweden huh? When I was a wee lad I lived in Stockholm, my Dad was on an officer exchange program with the Kustjägarna. Nowadays my Swedish doesn't extend past "Ja", "Nay", and a vague recollection that "glass" is the word for ice cream.

Kirsten
11-23-2010, 16:18
Hej hej!

"glass" is definitely a useful word!! But actually I'm not really Swedish, we have Swedish ancestors and thus I have a Swedish last name and I live in Sweden now, but I grew up in Germany.
I don't even speak swedish fluently, at least not yet. :)

I'm not afraid of bears, but I never met one before and my experience with bears is zero, so I didn't know how much to worry. I read the article emerald posted (thanks for that) and I guess if I don't be behave silly I should not have any problems with bears. I'm more worried about snakes, but if I'm really careful I shouldn't have problems with them either right?

Your dog is really cute! If I were a bear I wouldn't want to mess with him either ;)

I found a really cheap flight, the 27th of may and I already checked, I shouldn't have any problem with the trains to Harper's Ferry.
Luddite looks very comfortable on his freight train, but I don't think I'm able to hop anywhere with my backpack, so I'm going for a passenger train(at least that's the plan). :)

Do you know if there is a hostel in Harper's Ferry, where many hikers stop? It would be nice to spend the night in company. How long does it take from Washington to Hapers Ferry with the train anyway?

Yeah well tomorrow or Thursday I'm going to book my flight, it's getting serious now! Wow and last week I didn't even think about doing it, or at least not next year. I guess sometimes you just get a sudden impuls and you have to follow it.

Have a nice day or night or whatever time you have right now :)

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2010, 16:23
Hej hej!

Do you know if there is a hostel in Harper's Ferry, where many hikers stop? It would be nice to spend the night in company. How long does it take from Washington to Hapers Ferry with the train anyway?
It's a quick trip from D.C. to HF, IIRC, just over an hour, and it's an enjoyable trip.

I'll leave the hostel question to someone else, I slept on the sidewalk last time I was in HF.

flemdawg1
11-23-2010, 16:38
Hej hej!

Yeah well tomorrow or Thursday I'm going to book my flight, it's getting serious now! Wow and last week I didn't even think about doing it, or at least not next year. I guess sometimes you just get a sudden impuls and you have to follow it.

Have a nice day or night or whatever time you have right now :)

http://aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
You can use the webpage above to get to the Thru-Hikers' Companion. the WV-NY section will answer your questions regarding lodging and train transportation in Harpers Ferry.

Driver8
11-23-2010, 17:42
I think I still try Harper's Ferry, I would love to see the town and I really don't wanna finish early. I'd rather have a little stress, than having too much time. (tried both on my hikes), and I really dont wanna keep hiking if everybody else I was hiking with finishes at mount Katahdin.

Another thing I and others could do for you, if you like, is slack pack you. Purists look down on this, but in your circumstance where you're attempting to do a long section hike in a short time, it could be the difference in your making it to Katahdin or having to stop short in Monson. I could see slacking you from Jug End/Hwy 41, MA to the MassPike, for instance, depending on your pace, or from Greylock Summit, MA to Stratton/Arlington Road, VT (then join you on the hike as far as Stratton Pond).

You might be able to rustle up some others to help similarly.

Bucherm
11-23-2010, 21:10
Hej hej!

See, there you go. My Swedish is so far gone I would have spelled that "hey".

"glass" is definitely a useful word!! But actually I'm not really Swedish, we have Swedish ancestors and thus I have a Swedish last name and I live in Sweden now, but I grew up in Germany.
I don't even speak swedish fluently, at least not yet. :)

I'm not afraid of bears, but I never met one before and my experience with bears is zero, so I didn't know how much to worry. I read the article emerald posted (thanks for that) and I guess if I don't be behave silly I should not have any problems with bears. I'm more worried about snakes, but if I'm really careful I shouldn't have problems with them either right?

Probably not. Here in the Mid-Atlantic region I've only ran into Garter snakes and the like on the trail, and even venomous snakes won't really strike unless provoked. Simple stuff like stepping on logs instead of over them can reduce oopsies.

Your dog is really cute! If I were a bear I wouldn't want to mess with him either ;) It's a good thing she didn't read that, she might have taken umbrage to being referred to as a "him". :mad:
:p

It's a quick trip from D.C. to HF, IIRC, just over an hour, and it's an enjoyable trip.

I'll leave the hostel question to someone else, I slept on the sidewalk last time I was in HF.

I'm surprised the NPS didn't poke you and go "move along citizen." :D

emerald
11-24-2010, 12:47
I'm more worried about snakes, but if I'm really careful I shouldn't have problems with them either right?

The posted advice provided by Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and Department of Conservation and Natural Resources answers your question.

In Pennsylvania where you are most apt to encounter venomous snakes, the treadway tends to promote watching your step which might be seen by more hikers as a good thing.

You may not see a timber rattlesnake or copperhead, but you should know what they look like and give them a wide berth. Do not approach within 3 feet of a coiled rattlesnake should you happen upon one.

I recommend against hiking while listening to music. If for no other reason, you might not hear a rattlesnake's warning.

Be especially careful at night when snakes may be more active. Put on your shoes and use your headlamp if you must answer nature's call.

Kirsten
11-24-2010, 13:22
God kväll tillsammans!

Do you remember what that means? :) and its also "nej" not "nay". Just if you wanna know. :)
I dont know how I could not see that she is female, I guess I must have been pretty tired already yesterday. Please don't tell her, I don't want her to be offended. ;) You can tell her though, that I think she is really cute, as you probably already know girls like to hear that :P

What is slack packing? I have never heard of it before, but thx for the offer anyway!

emerald
11-24-2010, 13:32
Years ago, the term meant being in no particular hurry. Hikers who embraced the concept carried heavy packs, spent as much time as possible in the woods where they camped and enjoyed the company of their companions. Few hikers, if any, use the term in that way today except when pointing out its original meaning.

Today, the term means nearly the opposite and refers to supported, mostly day hiking with the intent to reduce pack weight and the time and effort to cover segments of the trail. Camping gear is shuttled between road crossings or overnight camps often in towns by local hikers or service providers who in many cases also provide lodgings. It may involve shuttling of hikers and multidirectional hiking back to the base camp.

This approach to hiking the A.T. is looked down upon by some traditionalists who insist upon carrying their own weight and mistakenly believe what someone else does diminishes their own experience.

Obviously, slackpacking in the contemporary sense of the word is more expensive and more consumptive of resources than traditional through hiking.

Teeah3612
11-24-2010, 14:36
My sister and I started our SOBO section hike in Harper's Ferry May 2010 and it was nice. We stayed at The Town's Inn right on the main street (http://www.thetownsinn.com/). It was nice and reasonably priced. There were other hikers and tourist staying there and we were able to walk around and then start out in the morning.
We saw a black snake, rattle snake, and a momma bear with cubs. The scary one was the rattler. He didn't want to leave the edge of the trail and there was hillside on either side. The bear was totally awesome, seen from about 30 foot away. She looked at us and ran the other way with her cubs. Unless you are a threat that is the usual response to people. Just make sure to use the bear poles and don't leave trash around.
As for people on the trail...everyone we meet was great! No creeps at all and we meet quite a few because we were SOBO and most thru-hikers are NOBO.
Good Luck with your hike!

Driver8
11-24-2010, 15:55
What is slack packing? I have never heard of it before, but thx for the offer anyway!

Slackpacking, or slacking, involves someone driving you (usually) up the next unhiked stretch of trail and dropping you at the 1(or hiking with you if there are two or more cars involved). Your heavy long-distance gear is left behind or in a car and you hike back to it, then you get driven back to the spot you've covered. You carry a much lighter day pack, with enough water, food, etc., for a day, sometimes for two. If you're usually averaging, with all your heavy through gear, 12 miles a day, slacking you often can do 18 b/c it's so much easier.

Examples:

1. I might slack you from Sheffield, MA to Upper Goose Pond Cabin, MA (25 moderate AT miles or so). Meet you at Sheffield, pick up your pack, go for my own separate hike for a day, meet you at the Cabin at an appointed time; or

2. My friend and hiking buddy, Jay, and I might two-car slack you from Salisbury, CT, to Sheffield, MA, joining you for the hike (or part of it - we could do a there-and-back and meet you at Sheffield, driving in Car 1 to Car 2).

In either event, we/I would loan you a smaller day pack.

With good cell phone reception, it's pretty easy to coordinate this stuff these days.

Slack like this 10-15 times over your 85 day hike and you could conceivably pick up 100-150 miles, depending on your pace, which could mean the difference between Monson and Katahdin, i.e., the 114 or so miles of the 100 mile wilderness.

Some AT purists look down on this, but in your case you're not thru-ing anyway, and you're trying to hike a pretty long distance (esp. considering the Whites and Maine are a big part of it) in a pretty short time. Getting some slacking support would be a big help, most likely, in helping you be sure to cover as much of the trail as you can.

Driver8
11-24-2010, 16:02
Correction to the prior message: meant to write "dropping you at the trailhead". Sorry!

And you would stay overnight either at a shelter on the trail or otherwise, as you arrange. Often, slack supporters/trail angels provide lodging - problem with my doing that is that I'm an hour-plus away from the Trail at its nearest point, not super-convenient. I could see giving you a ride, though, to an inn or motel off-trail in a nearby town (like Great Barrington) if you wished, and taking a separate room of my own.

Bucherm
11-24-2010, 22:07
God kväll tillsammans!

Do you remember what that means? :) and its also "nej" not "nay". Just if you wanna know. :)

"Good evening everyone?"

The last time I've been in a conversational Swedish situation was when I was 6. :confused:

I use the term to describe day hikes along the AT, although others(like emerald) are more specific in the types of day hike.

Kirsten
11-28-2010, 11:38
Hey everybody :)

I really havent figured out all the details yet and this may sound ridiculous, but one important part of the hiking experience for me is the fact, that I carry everything I need to survive with me. It's a feeling of total independence and somehow I wanna try if I can make it like this to mount Katahdin.
I may change my opinion, but I wanna try at least. But thank you for the nice offer! I hope I can keep the weight down, so that I'm able to make it.

It's official now, I really gotta do it, I booked my flight! :sun
Thx for all your support and help! Right now I'm good, but as soon as I go into detailed planning, there will be probably a lot of new questions coming up and I hope I can ask you again!

Have a nice day! Kirsten

english
11-28-2010, 13:35
You'll be fine hiking from Harpers to Katahdin, your a hiker from Europe, so your used to walking :) the latter is more a luxury in this country than common practise. Long trousers will keep the ticks at bay. I'd suggest a hammock instead of a tent to shave weight, buy a Thermorest so in bad weather, you can sleep in the shelters. One thing most Europeans encounter is how dry it is here compared to there so bring lotion. And the American train system is, well, to be honest a joke. Don't expect the trains to be like the German Bahn or the TGY/ SNCF. If you have money to spare, look at flights to BWI (Baltimore), it's 45 minutes away from Harpers. My wife & I live 5 min's from BWI & happy to give you a lift there.

Hikers are the friendliest bunch there is, you'll be in good hands.

Driver8
11-28-2010, 14:44
Hey everybody :)

I really havent figured out all the details yet and this may sound ridiculous, but one important part of the hiking experience for me is the fact, that I carry everything I need to survive with me. It's a feeling of total independence and somehow I wanna try if I can make it like this to mount Katahdin.
I may change my opinion, but I wanna try at least. But thank you for the nice offer! I hope I can keep the weight down, so that I'm able to make it.

It's official now, I really gotta do it, I booked my flight! :sun
Thx for all your support and help! Right now I'm good, but as soon as I go into detailed planning, there will be probably a lot of new questions coming up and I hope I can ask you again!

Have a nice day! Kirsten

There's lots of smart people here with lots of experience hiking, Kirsten, so you've come to a very good place for input on your hike planning. You won't be at a loss when it comes to good advice here.

DaveSail
12-18-2010, 18:39
Long trousers will do little or nothing to keep out the tiny creatures .

Best bet is to learn the symptoms , and get off the trail as soon as
you note them , for some Doxy . DVW