PDA

View Full Version : powdered coconut milk

juma
11-21-2010, 18:29
I was recently in hawaii and as is my custom, I was going through a grocery store looking for different or odd stuff and found powdered coconut milk - it claimed to be an astounding 220 calories per ounce! Anyone every used this or heard of it before?

juma

leaftye
11-21-2010, 18:42
That's worth looking at. Be careful though. Some people find coconut milk to be a very effective laxative.

Hikes in Rain
11-21-2010, 19:08
Haven't tried the powdered, but I do occasionally simmer rice in canned coconut milk, with various veggies and fish. Very good! I'd think you could approximate the same thing with the powdered milk, dehydrated veggies and some flavored pouched tuna. I see an experiment coming on....

Dogwood
11-21-2010, 20:10
I was recently in hawaii and as is my custom, I was going through a grocery store looking for different or odd stuff and found powdered coconut milk - it claimed to be an astounding 220 calories per ounce! Anyone every used this or heard of it before?
juma

YES! Dried coconut flakes, shredded or flaked in different sizes, for different textures, and for slightly different uses, is GREAT for adding cals/oz and flavor to my trail foods. It's cheap, costs as little as $.99/lb, and is readily available in bags, boxed packages, or, my favorite, in bulk bins, where you purchase as much or as little as you want at a time. I look for fresh flaky coconut. I look for coconut flake that slightly clumps/balls up because it's still slighly moist. To me, that means it's fresh. There should be no rancid smell or whiteish yellowing of fresh dried coconut.

I like the organic varieties which I've bought from bulk bins for around $2/lb. Organic DOES NOT ALWAYS have to be overly expensive! I appreciate/my body appreciates that organic coconut almost always has but one ingredient and I know what it is and how to pronounce it without having to consult a chemistry book - ingredients: organic coconut!

I consider coconut and coconut oil, when consumed in some moderation, a much superior and healthier form of fat cals than much of the fats, particularly trans fats(hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils), found in most backpackers trailfood in their junk, convenience, and fast food selections!

Although, I might ocassionally find it, I rarely find dried coconut milk powder in most grocery stores on the mainland. It's available mail order for sure though. You might come across coocnut milk powder at Mexican or Asian food stores.

I do like the coconut milk powder, a pinch of red pepper flakes, dried peanut sauce, a pinch of peanuts, and some dried, or preferably, chopped fresh green onion/chives mixed in with/over SOBA buckwheat noodles or even over Ramen(after discarding MSG and salt laden flavoring packets).

A bit of dried coconut milk powder added to Katmandu Curry adds fat cals, creates a creamy milky texture, and adds GREAT flavor! Katmandu Curry is a vegeterian complex carb extravaganza with some decent grams of protein but when you add the additional fat in the form of dried powdered coconut milk it just adds to a GREAT vegeterian trail meal!

Another one of my favorites is to add dried coconut milk powder, or coconut flake if you can't find the powder, a pinch of cinnamon, and a bit of crystallized ginger to my morning oatmeal. Could also add a bit of dried fruit like mango bits, cranberries, dried bluberries, pineapple bits, and/or dried bananas to that oatmeal mix. Adding nuts of your choice just makes anyone of these oatmeal concoctions that much healthier and adds more cals/oz!

And, of course, adding coconut flake to trail mixes is a GREAT way to tweak flavors and textures and add cals/oz! The tiniest(often finely shredded ) coconut tends to dry out the fastest and if you buy it when it's this way you may find that it sticks in your throat. You might find the larger cuts of flakes more suitable especially for adding to trail mixes if you are having problems choking on fine highly dried out coconut.

Appalachian Tater
11-21-2010, 22:03
Yes, I keep coconut cream powder as a pantry staple and frequently use it to add a little flavor when I don't want to open a whole can of coconut milk. It's great in smoothies or sprinkled over fruit.

The brand I get is Chao Thai. It comes in a box with a pouch of 160g or 5.6 oz.

It is 85.20% coconut cream and 11.80% glucose syrup. It also has 2.0% sodium caseinate which may cause problems for people who are trying to avoid dairy products or who are vegan.

Stated calories are 180 per 30g.

I get it for about a dollar at a large Asian market (Hong Kong). It is also available at a small Thai market but is almost twice as expensive there.

I orginally became interested in it because I liked Lipton Cup-a-Soup Spicy Thai Chicken but it had some slightly scary ingredients (see below) so I decided to try to make my own mix. I never got around to it but then they stopped making that flavor so I didn't have a choice.

INGREDIENTS:
Maltodextrin,
Potato(es) Starch Modified,
Sugar,
Salt,
Monosodium Glutamate,
Creamer (,, Whey from Milk, Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Sodium Caseinate, Potassium Phosphate, Soybean(s) Lecithin ),,
Yeast Extract,
Chicken Fat,
Guar Gum,
Chicken Meat Dehydrated,
Pepper(s) Bell Red Dehydrated,
Mushroom(s) Dehydrated,
Onion(s) Powder,
Color(s) Added,
Flavor(s) Natural (,Contains,, Coconut ),,
Spice(s),
Chicken Broth Dehydrated,
Wheat Flour,
Pepper(s) Jalapeno(s) Dehydrated,
Cilantro Dehydrated,
Disodium Inosinate,
Disodium Guanylate

sarbar
11-30-2010, 21:27
Yep, use it often in trail meals. You can get it through Asian grocery stores in person or online, I prefer Thai brands myself.

Only thing is most contain dairy so be careful if avoiding animal products.