PDA

View Full Version : Getting Worried

Mother Natures Son
11-21-2010, 19:10
Earlier this month, the folks that now run the Iron Master's hostel (CPC) had a big fund raising effort. I never heard how the wine & cheese party went. This had me wondering "if" they raised enough money to open the hostel this coming summer. Who want to place any bets if they ever open?

Lone Wolf
11-21-2010, 22:27
no biggie if it don't open. hikers don't need it

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 22:30
I disagree LW, not as famous as the Doyle but almost as old and an intergrated pit stop on the trail, because its a Hostel it's most likely listed in Hostel books all over the world.

10-K
11-21-2010, 23:02
There is a great campground with hot showers a short walk from the hostel.

Spirit Walker
11-21-2010, 23:20
The hostel may not be a necessity for AT hikers, but the building has a terrific history. It would be a shame to lose it. The first time I stayed there, in 1988, it had just been completely refurbished. I was the only hiker staying there and the hosts were busy elsewhere, so I had the place to myself. It was a bit more homelike than it became in later years. I could imagine what it had been like to live there in the years just after the Revolution and then again prior to the Civil War when it was a stop on the Underground Railroad. I really enjoyed having that contact with the past. $100,000 is a lot of money to find in this economy, but I hope they do manage to raise it.

K.B.
11-21-2010, 23:59
If the Iron Master Hostel closes, will the half gallon ice cream challenge be trail history too?

In 2007 Iron Masters was closed the day (mid-week) we got there too.

Lone Wolf
11-22-2010, 07:53
If the Iron Master Hostel closes, will the half gallon ice cream challenge be trail history too?

no. the store is state owned and serves the campground

Wise Old Owl
11-22-2010, 10:37
The Iron Master Hostel is Closed.

DavidNH
11-22-2010, 12:39
no biggie if it don't open. hikers don't need it

Why because they didn't serve alcohol?

This hostel was a great place. I don't recall there being any other hostel near by.

David

Lone Wolf
11-22-2010, 12:44
Why because they didn't serve alcohol?

no, because there's plenty of woods before and after the place plus you couldn't check in til 5. and there's a campground too

Panzer1
01-04-2011, 20:25

From what I hear, ice cream doesn't even come in half gallons anymore. :eek:

Panzer