PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1

swjohnsey
11-21-2010, 20:11
Got it from Backcountry for $199.96 shipped. It will replace a Eureka Backcountry I to save a little weight. The Backcountry 1 weighed 3'12" (actual weight) ready to go. This included stakes, pole and stake bag but no tent bag. The Seedhouse SL1 configured the same way weighted 2'12". Advertised "trail weight was 2'6".

The color is nice I think they call it titanium green. Set up is fast, under 5 minutes. It is free standing requiring a couple of stakes at the foot to spread it out but you can get by without them so you could actually pitch it on a platform or concrete and have a decent shelter without stakes. Poles are DAC aluminum. The tent works well without the fly so it can be pitched for bug protection in nice weather. It is all noseeum mesh except for the bathtub floor.

Quality is nice, finish it good. Pack size is about 15 1/2" (folded pole length) x 5". Tent has clips in front and loops in the rear for the poles. Fly goes all the way to the ground and the door as a really good flap over the zipper so it out to be very weatherproof. Guy lines have the reflective specks in them. The vestibule has enough room to cook in.

The line tensioners suck so I replaced them with the Clamcleat Cl266 linelocks

TheYoungOne
02-24-2011, 10:29
I know this is an old post, but have used the new tent yet, and how do you like the Seedhouse now vs the Eureka Backcountry 1.

I was interested in the Backcountry because it was the only tent under 4lb that on paper looked like I could fit my 6'2" body and pack in since it was 8'3" long. The seedhouse SL1 is lighter, but seems smaller then the Eureka, even though the Seedhouse SL1 has a much better vestibule. Can you fit your pack in the vestibule?

I hate the Backpacker's tiny rainfly and weight, but it is much more affordable for me at $125 then the Big Agnes tents. I think I would be very happy with a Seedhouse SL2 or a Fly Creek UL2 , but I hate to throw out over $300

FamilyGuy
02-24-2011, 11:53
You are my height and the Seedhouse really doesn't fit me and my 'long' sleeping bag very well. You will touch the ends and the front entry of the tent exacerbates the feeling of being cramped. Head room is quite low and although quoted at 38", that is at a peak. My hed isn't shaped like a peak. The vestibule is small and you have to crawl over your gear to get into the tent. The waterproofing of the fabrics is also relatively low (this is why they always recommend a footprint with this shelter).

The MSR Hubba in comparison is better in every way for just a few more ounces.

So having said that, if the the Backcountry fits you well despite the extra weight, you will be so much happier when you stop to camp. I say go for it.

TheYoungOne
02-24-2011, 13:01
You are my height and the Seedhouse really doesn't fit me and my 'long' sleeping bag very well. You will touch the ends and the front entry of the tent exacerbates the feeling of being cramped. Head room is quite low and although quoted at 38", that is at a peak. My hed isn't shaped like a peak. The vestibule is small and you have to crawl over your gear to get into the tent. The waterproofing of the fabrics is also relatively low (this is why they always recommend a footprint with this shelter).

The MSR Hubba in comparison is better in every way for just a few more ounces.

So having said that, if the the Backcountry fits you well despite the extra weight, you will be so much happier when you stop to camp. I say go for it.

Thanks for the heads up. Yep I use a long bag too.

RWBlue
02-24-2011, 13:51
I bought the Seedhouse SL2. I think I made the right choice.

I am a 6'2" large guy. The SL2 has enough room for me to lie on my back fully stretched out. It has enough room for me and a bag in the tent. I can sit up in the tent.

BTW, the gear loft is useless.

I have had a solo tent before which didn't allow me to sit up, no room for gear....I just couldn't do it again.

TheYoungOne
02-24-2011, 17:40
I bought the Seedhouse SL2. I think I made the right choice.

I am a 6'2" large guy. The SL2 has enough room for me to lie on my back fully stretched out. It has enough room for me and a bag in the tent. I can sit up in the tent.

BTW, the gear loft is useless.

I have had a solo tent before which didn't allow me to sit up, no room for gear....I just couldn't do it again.

Great, I'm glad you told me about the loft. I was thinking maybe if I get an SL1 I can put my pack in the loft. So now I know if I do go with a seedhouse, I need to go with the SL2

RWBlue
02-25-2011, 15:24
Great, I'm glad you told me about the loft. I was thinking maybe if I get an SL1 I can put my pack in the loft. So now I know if I do go with a seedhouse, I need to go with the SL2

I can not say how it will work on the SH SL1, but.....in the SH SL2.....

The gear loft is one of the poorest designs I have ever seen. It is designed to hang close to the door. This kills the sealing height at the door. I don't think it will handle the weight of a full pack.

They could have designed something that hung over my feet, large enough for a pack or at least a coat.