PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 50 vs. Aether 60

Kalell
11-21-2010, 22:22
Been using the Atmos 50 (53 liters cap. at 3 lbs. 10 oz., rated load range 30 to 40 lbs.) since moving to Georgia and love it. Grew up in Washington State and having the Arc'Teryx Bora 70, I could literally put everything in it and have room for more. Now changing gears the Atmos has been great for those summer, fall hikes, without the winter gear. Here's the kicker want to start the AT NOBO in January/February. Afraid the Atmos won't be able to handle the extra weight of winter gear. The Aether 60 (63 liters cap. at 5 lbs. 1 oz.) seems like the pack because it is rated 40 to 55 lbs. Love the aspect of getting your sleeping bag on the bottom without having to pull out your stuff sacks. Looked at the Atmos 65 (68 liters cap. at 3 lbs. 11oz.) and has a weight allowance of 35 to 50 pounds. Last time I did long distance trekking was in Washington where you needed BIG. Does the Aether have the ventilation of the Atmos? Thanks for the comments. BTW starting in January/February because that is when the time opened up. :-?

Spokes
11-22-2010, 08:11
I considered both the Atmos 65 and the Aether 60 before last years thru and went with the Atmos not only because of the weight difference but the comfort. It turned out to be pretty much bombproof except for the crappy mesh hipbelt pockets.

skinewmexico
11-22-2010, 09:57
What are you thinking, go ULA! Help someone in Utah make their payroll.

Rick500
11-22-2010, 10:32
I have and use an Aether 60. It's a couple years old, before the current redesign, so I'm not sure how different the new ones are since I haven't tried on a new one.

It's a comfortable pack. I carry around 30 pounds in it most of the time. Only drawbacks are that the one I have only opens from the top, there are no hip belt pockets, and the side pocket on either side cannot be reached while the pack is on. Minor annoyances, really, but next time I buy a pack I'll pay attention to those few things.

Kalell
11-22-2010, 10:56
Thanks Spokes, Ski New Mexico, and Rick 500. Guess the real question is how much snow gear do you need to hike the AT in the winter months January/February? Snowshoes and gaiters enough?

Kalell
11-22-2010, 21:18
Just picked up the Atmos 65 today. Aether just didn't cut it - wasn't comfortable enough. Love the open back of the Atmos. Size and weight difference is minimal.

bigcranky
11-22-2010, 21:37
The Aether 60 is a nice pack, used one for several years. You might check the Exos 58, if the hip belt thing fits you.

Other than that, yeah, ULA.

daddytwosticks
11-23-2010, 08:29
I have an older model (2005) Aether 60. I'm not the most nimble person, but I have no issues reaching water bottles in their pockets. I've had up to 33 pounds in the thing and it carries like a dream. I believe it weighs around 4 pounds empty. If I were to thru tommorrow, this is the pack I would take...a great workhorse. :)

nawlunz
12-19-2010, 10:14
I have an older model (2005) Aether 60. I'm not the most nimble person, but I have no issues reaching water bottles in their pockets. I've had up to 33 pounds in the thing and it carries like a dream. I believe it weighs around 4 pounds empty. If I were to thru tommorrow, this is the pack I would take...a great workhorse. :)

compartments, ease of packing, etc....but, I am someone, who for whatever reasons, needs comfort with the hipbelt! I am not tall, but stocky...every backpack I've ever tried I've had more pressure than I care for at the hips.
I have the Arc-teryx 75, and love it!! Very comfortable hip belt..but, the dang thing is over 5 lbs...I want a lighter pack, but still need the capacity for extended hikes!! So, if anyone has the Atmos 65, how much a problem is the hip belt!! In the store, I was underwhelmed!!

Amberalicia
12-19-2010, 10:39
I use an Aether 70 purchased in 2008. I'm 6'2" and it fits me perfectly. The hip belt molded on its own with out heat. Usually carry 20 to 30 pounds including everything. Hope to be on the AT by mid-February and will be carrying a 2 down bag system and still should be under 30 pounds with 4 to 5 days of food on board. I do agree there are lighter packs and some made specifically for women. However, this Osprey pack fits so good, I stopped looking.
Ordered an Ibex wool balaclava today and North Face gloves to use with my hiking poles. So things are coming together.

buz
12-20-2010, 15:14
I have a 2006 Aether, and really like it. Didn't get belt molded at first, then did later. Made difference in fit/feel for the better, for sure. Love the pack. I took off and never use the lid/fanny pack. That saves about 8 ounces right there, not sure if that is same design on the newer style. But thumbs up, however, I think there are better, lighter options, if you are shopping in the same $ ballpark, like the catalyst.

Good luck.

tuswm
12-23-2010, 20:25
I voted osprey atmos 65. Its what I have and use in the winter. I didn't like the 50. to small in the middle. that makes it hard to stuff things to the bottom and unlike the 65 there is no zipper on the bottom. I have years on this pack. Its pink and it used to be red. still doing great. I recently cut a half pound off the pack of things I have never used. I put the bladder in the air core compartment so I but off the other bladder holder. It also distributes the weight better. I also cut off the sleeping bag compartment separator and the daisy chain things on the back. And the loops but the straps that hold the sleeping pad. I am sure there is a few more things I could cut off but I use them. another neat thing about this pack is that the black bear cans fit hormonally inside the sleeping bag compartment in the 65 and you can use the bottom zipper to get it in and out.

But now that mine is looking tis age I am looking at getting something like a ULA smaller lighter bag and keeping this as my winter / extended hike bag.

Ol Mole
12-23-2010, 22:59
I got the Atmos 50 several years ago and loved the way it fit with the belt. Good for summer use or short trips though, so when winter came I got the Atmos 65 and enjoyed the extra room. Both are a comfortable fit for me. The 65 works well in the winter when I have extra gear.

Happy trails!

nawlunz
12-24-2010, 15:57
I voted osprey atmos 65. Its what I have and use in the winter. I didn't like the 50. to small in the middle. that makes it hard to stuff things to the bottom and unlike the 65 there is no zipper on the bottom. I have years on this pack. Its pink and it used to be red. still doing great. I recently cut a half pound off the pack of things I have never used. I put the bladder in the air core compartment so I but off the other bladder holder. It also distributes the weight better. I also cut off the sleeping bag compartment separator and the daisy chain things on the back. And the loops but the straps that hold the sleeping pad. I am sure there is a few more things I could cut off but I use them. another neat thing about this pack is that the black bear cans fit hormonally inside the sleeping bag compartment in the 65 and you can use the bottom zipper to get it in and out.

But now that mine is looking tis age I am looking at getting something like a ULA smaller lighter bag and keeping this as my winter / extended hike bag.

pack as far as weight distribtuion. I would think, if on extended hikes, it may have some weight and would be a better fit when situated higher on the back. Also,did you mean "horizontally"...and what bear cannister did you use?

tuswm
12-24-2010, 20:47
pack as far as weight distribtuion. I would think, if on extended hikes, it may have some weight and would be a better fit when situated higher on the back. Also,did you mean "horizontally"...and what bear cannister did you use?

http://www.backpackerscache.com/

and it was a tight fit. I dont think one any larger would fit.

I tried putting the canister on the outside of the pack where a foam pad goes. I tried vertically in the top and horizontally under the lid. But horizontally in the sleeping bag compartment was the way I liked the best and it wasted any space down there.

Doc Mike
12-24-2010, 20:56
Think about a deuter pack. My son uses the act lite 65 +10 and loves it. very light and seems durable.

Doc Mike

rapchizzle
12-27-2010, 16:00
I have an Atmos 50 and an Aether 70. I feel that the Aether is too big and heavy for me to be comfortable with and the 50 is GREAT for shorter hikes. I love the Atmos design but want something a bit larger for my thruhike. I'm ultimately trying to consolidate all my gear so I'm going to sell both packs and go for the Atmos 65. I feel as though it's light enough and has lots of room yet can still be used for short trips.

I can't tell YOU what to get, but I plan on getting an Atmos 65 to replace my other two packs.

IronGutsTommy
01-14-2011, 18:29
i have the aether 70. the 60 wouldve been big enough in hindsight and although I loved the versatility and build quality of my pack I wished id tested some more out. it was very comfy but not exactly the lightest out there. more and more, im becoming a UL believer. having a pack light enough to be able to jump alot in it would be sweet and really help in those ultra rocky drops and ledges along southern pennsylvania

hikerboy57
01-14-2011, 18:31
Have the Atmos 65, the 50s a little small with the curved back panel, took out the separater between the Sleeping bag compartment, my gear fits in more comfortably. ecxellent pack.

DudeAbroad
12-08-2011, 16:34
I tired both the Atmos 50 and the Aether 60 at the EMS store here in NYC. I loaded each with about 25lbs and walked around. I have to say, the Aether was sooooooo much more comfortable to me. The Atmos held the weight out too far because of the meshed back panel space and seemed TWICE as heavy. No joke. I really felt the load. But the Aether, because it fit snug against my back, felt like i was carrying nothing. I was shocked at the huge difference in feel.Going in, i thought that the design of the Atmos would be more comfortable with the airflow system, but it actually made the weight much much heavier. And when you twisted your body from side to side, the pack swung more compared to the Aether which stayed snug against he back and felt more a part of your body.In hot climates, the Atmos design may create more airflow and less sweat...but the trade off is too much. I rather sweat a little more than have back pain. And to be honest, the mesh padding on the Aether created some airflow itself, so i don't think your back would sweat THAT much more. Actually, i would argue you'd probably sweat alot mord with a fully packed Atmos because it felt TWICE as heavy as the Aether.My personal opinion, is that the Atmos style design is much better suited for smaller packs and day hikes as opposed to heavier hiking or traveling needs. But thats me.I am glad I tried them out in the store, becauwe just based on internet reviews and videos, i WAS leaning towards the Atmos. Just goes to show ya, theres no substitute for testing out backpacks in person. :-)