PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Nagalene Bladder Failure!

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 22:23
Well It happened again halfway down the trail and suddenly I am out of water! I open the pack and half the water is in the pack just not in the bladder, and its the SECOND time. The first time it happened I just tossed the bladder and went back to REI and got a second one just like it. Why? Theres a small little O ring under the cap and suddenly it's gone! The Cap was on tight and it still leaked... Apparently when you open the bladder the O ring can pop when you arn't looking.

Kudo's for a Sea to Summit UL waterproof bag - it kept my Down Coat dry! All that water and it worked. I was stunned.

Ok I looked at the website - where I have the Customer Support number for tommorrow.

Really frustrated with this repeat failure.

runfifty
11-21-2010, 22:53
I had two Camelbak bladder failures, the second one dumping 2 liters into my backpack as I hiked. I finally gave up and just used Platypus collapsible bottles from then on.

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 23:11
a few years ago my Camelbak failed when blazing my own trail, as I dove under a fallen tree the mouthpeice dissappeared and from then on I carry a spare.

Shooting Star
11-21-2010, 23:25
I had 2 of the bladder bags that REI sells (not a Camelbak or Platypus) leak around
the hose fitting. One leaked so bad I had to toss it. I kept them in a Sea to Summit
waterproof bag and it contained the leakage. I now use a Platypus bag and it has
never leaked a drop...

Dirty Nails
11-22-2010, 00:47
I used a camelbak. I had the mouthpiece valve in the closed position because I was putting the whole backpack in the truck. The little yellow lever on the bite-valve sticks out in the closed position and easily gets hooked on stuff. It got caught on something and was easily pulled completely out, leaking 2L.

It's back to the old reliable gatorade bottles for me. It's funny that with all the high-tech stuff we're sold today, the best we have seems to be gatorade bottles and zip-lock bags. Go figure.

TallShark
11-22-2010, 00:53
I had 2 of the bladder bags that REI sells (not a Camelbak or Platypus) leak around
the hose fitting. One leaked so bad I had to toss it. I kept them in a Sea to Summit
waterproof bag and it contained the leakage. I now use a Platypus bag and it has
never leaked a drop...

... do they make sea to summit dry bags with a drawstring instead of the roll top? i could see the roll top being an interference with the hose coming out of the top. I also fear the possibility of my bladder bursting and would like to find a solid solution to contain the leak if it ever were to happen.

Wise Old Owl
11-22-2010, 02:51
You can jump up and down on them, they don't burst - but a pinhole leak from equipment poking in the pack can lead to a bad day.

The Sea to Summit bag would surround things like a down jacket or sleeping bag you cannot afford to get wet.

An old Sea to Summit with a pipe hole cut near the top would add some protection.

Spokes
11-22-2010, 08:14
[SIZE=3]Well It happened again halfway down the trail and suddenly I am out of water! ..........

Bummer! Keep us posted on what the Nalgene folks say.

I'm a true blue Platypus fellow now. Never had a failure (knock 0n wood) with a Platy.

C Seeker
11-22-2010, 08:25
I had my Nalgene 1liter water bottle bursted in my school backpack. I learned not to slowly drop it on cement when 3/4 full. When I dropped it the air in the bottle need to go somewhere and for me it bursted out the bottom. I am just happy it didn't happen in my backpacking back pack.

Kerosene
11-22-2010, 08:26
That's the main reason I carry two separate water containers over a single bladder. I've outfitted one of them with a tube-and-bite valve, and they sit in the side pockets outside my bag.

peakbagger
11-22-2010, 08:33
I had a couple of water bag failures with Nalgene and other lightweight bags until I switched to MSR dromedary lite bags. So far I have several years and many miles of hiking with no leaks. I also like that the MSR bite valves have a shut off so that if the valve gets squeezed at the wrong time (usually in the trunk to the trailhead) it doesnt leak.

Shooting Star
11-22-2010, 08:53
... do they make sea to summit dry bags with a drawstring instead of the roll top? i could see the roll top being an interference with the hose coming out of the top. I also fear the possibility of my bladder bursting and would like to find a solid solution to contain the leak if it ever were to happen.

Not sure about the drawstring top. Mine has an open top that
can roll down and has a buckle snap to lock it. I place my platypus
bag in the dry bag, leave the top open and just snap the buckle.
I also carry it in the outside pocket of my Osprey Aether 70 pack
instead of in the internal hydration pack compartment. All of my
internal gear is in the water resistant stuff sacks and I garbage
bag my sleeping bag sack. If I ever have the Platypus rupture,
this arrangement should keep me dry.

Two Speed
11-22-2010, 09:43
Well It happened again . . . Really frustrated with this repeat failure.So either learn to use the damn thing within it's limitations, find another solution . . . or whine about it.

Yup, that about covers the available options.

Spokes
11-22-2010, 09:48
So either learn to use the damn thing within it's limitations, find another solution . . . or whine about it.

Could be a production problem with the o-ring.

I, for one, appreciate Wise Old Owl bringing this to the attention of the forum.

kanga
11-22-2010, 09:52
i have given up on nalgene. i had one really great nalgene bladder years ago and when it finally died, i got another one. it had a leak in it new. they exchanged it. the next "new" one burst in the first 5 miles. all in my pack. i was pissed. i'm done with them. ive got a platy that has so far taken some rough treatment, but i am still wary and pack accordingly.

Hobbler
11-22-2010, 10:07
I have to agree with Spokes here...I am hesitant to go the route of an internal bladder and risk total saturation of the gear in my pack. It is way too easy no matter how you pack and arrange stuff to have a pinhole puncture due to shifting gear from a rough down-hill or fall. In addition. The area that the full bladder takes up in the pack is a factor in putting additional physical pressure on the bladder itself that might cause leaking, never-mind the reduced space for gear. No internal bladder is the way to go unless of course that you have to constantly sip from the bite valve. I don't mind stopping and reaching for my water bottle.

I like the Platy with it's near in-destructible construction and sure seal caps. My Platy system consists of a self standing platy 2 liter bottle (clean) and a 2 liter (dirty) bag open top Big Zip with a Sawyer in-line filter w/1 million gallon garantee. Hoses included total weight 10.6 oz. Never leaks and totally packable. I just fill 2 extra gatorade bottles in camp for the day on the trail.

Wise Old Owl
11-22-2010, 10:30
So either learn to use the damn thing within it's limitations, find another solution . . . or whine about it.

Hmmm Choices.... How about WHINE!

I just got off the phone - they are mailing a whole new CXC Bladder & Pipe and Bite valve! Now I will have some spare parts!
:banana

Rocket Jones
11-22-2010, 12:54
Hmmm Choices.... How about WHINE!

I just got off the phone - they are mailing a whole new CXC Bladder & Pipe and Bite valve! Now I will have some spare parts!
:banana

Hope you don't need 'em! :D

Lyle
11-22-2010, 15:03
Been using Platy's for years, both their bladders and bottles. Never tried anything else, no need-never had one leak.

skinewmexico
11-22-2010, 15:48
I've got some Platy's that are 6-7 years old, never a problem. Stick with the original.

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2010, 12:52
Nagalene is mailing one, I went back to REI and they told me the bag I had was three years old - I thought it was one. I picked up a new Platy and hose. Its cut off 4 oz off the total weight. Unfortunatly the BP has toggles and something of a sleeve so I have to convert it again

GrubbyJohn
11-25-2010, 13:16
i have the 3 liter camelbak unbottle and i strap that sucker to the OUTSIDE of my pack. i've fallen on it and droped my pack on it and so far so good. love the cover over the bladder

The Cleaner
11-25-2010, 21:56
I carry 1 750 camelbak canteen,2 platy 750ml,one in the "holster" attached to left shoulder strap and the other if needed in side pocket plus a MSR dromedary 2 liter to tie to outside of pack if needed.Just don't like the idea of having water all in one place inside my pack.A bladder failure could have severe consequences in some situations...:eek: