PDA

View Full Version : One night in a shelter, three hanging - pad or UQ?

The Counselor
11-21-2010, 23:11
We will be at Davenport Gap shelter the first night and then north to Hot Springs. If we didn't have that first night stuck in a shelter, I'd just get an underquilt for my new ENO hammock. But I don't want to ruin that first night's sleep. In the event hanging inside the shelter is not kosher, should I just forgo the UQ and opt for a pad? If so, which do you recommend? And are there quilts that integrate better than others with the ENO? We are going the first week in May. Thanks for any insights.

Red Hat
11-22-2010, 07:53
on my AT hike last year I started with both, but quickly dumped the pad. The UQ was fine, even the few times I slept in shelters. Not a lot of padding, but enough to get by. Once at an empty shelter, I hung my hammock inside due to bad weather. It is much nicer to have an underquilt under you in the hammock, for sure! Have fun!

rip waverly
11-23-2010, 12:38
i'd go with a uq.

jrb's are great, so are hammockgear.com

bigcranky
11-23-2010, 13:25
Where are you starting? At Davenport Gap? Can you use your pad for that night, then leave it in your car?

If it were me, I would carry a 3/4 length Z-rest along with my hammock/underquilt setup for just this sort of occasion. Since I like to have something to lounge on during the day, it does double duty as a nap/sit pad and as insulation when sitting on rocks or the ground. All in all, a very useful 8 ounces or so.

english
11-26-2010, 22:30
Well, I'm not sure if my set up is going to work but I'm kinda weight conscious and thinking of long term with my gear also. I bought an ALPS "Razor" from REI - Outlet for $34, it's an outer bag for your sleeping bag that add's extra protection from the elements. With a 20' GoLite bag/ ALPS razor/ thermorest beneath me, I should be comfortable down to the low teens and all weigh less than 58 oz (3 lbs 6 oz). Emphasis on the word "should". I haven't field tested it yet - I'll keep you posted

kayak karl
11-26-2010, 23:29
i have NEVER gone to the ground. even hanging in shelters is doable if your creative. ditch the pad unless you do want to nap on the trail :rolleyes:

MedicineMan
11-26-2010, 23:41
I use either a 2/3's UQ or 3/4's UQ mostly nowadays and therefore always carry a pad for the foot box of the underquilt...since the pad can act as pack framing/padding I carry one that is torso length so it can double as ground insulation if need be.
Last month before going to Vermont I did a warm up from 19E to Carvers, was using an experimental to me Nano-7 which experienced complete failure about two hours into sleep---still had the tarp, still had the top quilt, just reached into the pack, grabbed one of those super light Gossamer Gear grounds cloths out and the pad then slept well grounded for 10 hours. Honestly I didn't look for rock/root before hanging the hammock and just got lucky and landed on soft ground---this weekend in Linville Gorge I looked every night :)
It was really no big deal, i was just turned into an ultralightweight hiker using a tarp and pad!