PDA

View Full Version : Any recently released good books?

amac
11-22-2010, 07:11
Am putting my Christmas list together and usually like to get a book on the AT. Does anyone know of any recently release memiors on the AT? By "recent" I'm thinking 2009 and 2010.

Driver8
11-22-2010, 07:17
Am putting my Christmas list together and usually like to get a book on the AT. Does anyone know of any recently release memiors on the AT? By "recent" I'm thinking 2009 and 2010.

Take a look at the Barefoot Sisters books. I've just finished reading Southbound, the first, and imo it's a superbly written, well-observed account of the thru-hiking experience. I'm awaiting delivery of the Walking Home sequel, so I can't yet vouch for it, but the reviews I've seen are good.

In Southbound, the fact that the sisters hiked much of the trail barefoot is not the be-all and end-all of their story, just an important part. What distinguishes the book, moreso, is that two very smart, articulate, thoughtful young people have written an excellent, thorough account of most all aspects of a through-hiking adventure.

thelightinside
11-22-2010, 15:04
I recently finished Hiking Through by Paul V. Stutzman (2010 I think?). He has a great story and some interesting opinions. I recommend it.

mweinstone
11-22-2010, 18:50
miss janet told me shes spending more time on the book shes been writting cause it may be the best use of her out of workasstime.lol.

Cookerhiker
11-22-2010, 19:09

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58070 Released less than a year ago. A review may be forthcoming in a coming ALDHA Newsletter.

Luddite
11-22-2010, 19:19
Just Passin' Thru: A Vintage Store, the Appalachian Trail, and a Cast of Unforgettable Characters By Winton porter

mweinstone
11-22-2010, 19:23
sucks when your friend writes a book and you havent read it.like no one has a copy to lend? hello?i got 50 cents here. im in the damm thing! gimmi that book!

Luddite
11-22-2010, 19:24
sucks when your friend writes a book and you havent read it.like no one has a copy to lend? hello?i got 50 cents here. im in the damm thing! gimmi that book!

You're in Winton Porter's book?

mweinstone
11-22-2010, 19:58
no. just kidding. why and or how could i be?

idiot hikes and quits? chapter 4. when we last saw dale arden and flash "matthewski " gordon,.....

meanwhile back at mean emporer"baltimore jack" ming the mercylesses castle,.......

but the rock people led by proffessor "zelph" zarcoff.....and

Luddite
11-22-2010, 20:35

idiot hikes and quits? chapter 4. when we last saw dale arden and flash "matthewski " gordon,.....

meanwhile back at mean emporer"baltimore jack" ming the mercylesses castle,.......

but the rock people led by proffessor "zelph" zarcoff.....and

Well I'm suppose to get a copy of it tomorrow. If you want i'll send it to you when I'm done readin it.

RedneckRye
11-23-2010, 02:54
A Road More or Less Travelled by Otis & Roberts.
Check it out for a southbound perspective.
It is a bit "different".

k2basecamp
11-27-2010, 00:08
I just finished reading Finding Odyssa by Jennifer Pharr-Davis and just gave it to my 18 year old daughter to read.

It was one of the best books I've read on the AT in quite a while. I couldn't put it down and read it in 2 days.

I would highly recommend it as a gift to yourself or to another.

The Bamaman (AT '81)
aka Milo Garcia and The Parapackers:sun
Recently seen at Main Street Coffee
Franklin, NC

Driver8
11-27-2010, 00:47
I just finished reading Finding Odyssa by Jennifer Pharr-Davis and just gave it to my 18 year old daughter to read.

It was one of the best books I've read on the AT in quite a while. I couldn't put it down and read it in 2 days.

I did this with Barefoot Sisters: Walking Home. As good, imo, as the first. Simply a continuation. NOBO, the focus more on the people and the relationships than in SOBO. Very well written. Very much enjoyed. Will be lending it to all my friends and family, if not putting it under their Christmas trees.

MkBibble
11-27-2010, 16:32
certaianly not new, but i just finished reading the new edition of AWOL on the Appalachian Trail. loved it!

Sierra Echo
11-27-2010, 16:49
Take a look at the Barefoot Sisters books. I've just finished reading Southbound, the first, and imo it's a superbly written, well-observed account of the thru-hiking experience. I'm awaiting delivery of the Walking Home sequel, so I can't yet vouch for it, but the reviews I've seen are good.

In Southbound, the fact that the sisters hiked much of the trail barefoot is not the be-all and end-all of their story, just an important part. What distinguishes the book, moreso, is that two very smart, articulate, thoughtful young people have written an excellent, thorough account of most all aspects of a through-hiking adventure.

I looked at those books at REI and they are EXPENSIVE! I didnt get one!

Luddite
11-27-2010, 17:11

Chapter 11 Minnesota Smith