PDA

View Full Version : Hammock camping with lbag of leaves

benben4u
11-22-2010, 13:07
i heard filling up garbage bags of leaves and laying on them in ur hammock is a great insulator. has anyone ever done this? what are the results?:-?

birdonawire
11-22-2010, 13:18
Rolling around on garbage bags full of leaves? I'd rather listen to a bear eat a bag of potato chips.

leaftye
11-22-2010, 13:34
It's the same idea as the basic principle of sleeping on forest duff.

Hikerhead
11-22-2010, 13:37
Air pockets is what you're creating. I haven't tried this yet but it should work.

birdonawire
11-22-2010, 13:43
The issue is going to be the same problem with a sleeping bag, a pad, anything else being used as insulation inside the hammock. Once your bodyweight compresses your insulation, the air beneath your hammock will pull heat away from you. Underquilts beneath your hammock prove very effective at trapping heat inside the hammock. Hang bags of leaves on the outside of your hammock? Leaves don't have much loft which seems to be a key point to effective insulation. I have a down undequilt for my hammock and the difference really is night and day. Not a cheap solution, but on a cold night, it sure feels worth it.:sun

StorminMormon
11-22-2010, 13:59
I would definitely use it as a survival technique. Garbage bags and leaves would do the trick...and yes, as Birdonawire has mentioned, having the bag with leaves as an underquilt attached under your hammock would be more effective because you wouldn't crush the bag with your weight. It's not an ideal scenario - but it would work.

Also, if you're feeling a little adventurous - there are several kits/instructions online to help you make your own underquilt for about a third of what they cost "in the store".

Hikerhead
11-22-2010, 19:49
My CLark Hammock already has 6 pockets underneath it for storage. I should go right now and put some small trash bags in them and try this leaf thing out this weekend. 2 weekends ago I was in SNP and it got below freezing and I didn't get cold while using 1/4 " close cell foam in the bottom of the hammock.

rip waverly
11-23-2010, 12:37
i use ccf , but prefer to use my underquilt.