PDA

View Full Version : Harper's Ferry - Mount Katahdin, Start: 28.05.11

Kirsten
11-22-2010, 14:06
Hey

as you can see I wanna start my trail in Harper's Ferry at the 28th of may. I hope I will manage to walk all the way to mount Katahdin, since I only have time till the 22nd of august.
To be honest it is my first time outside of Europe, so I would be really happy if I don't have to start alone.

About me:
I will be 21, when I start the trail and I live in Sweden, but I grew up in Germany. Right now I'm studying International Management and next year I will start studying psychology as well. I've done two hiking trails in Spain before (800 km and 1000 km), and I'm calculating in km not in miles (so far). :)
And I have to do this now, or I will be thinking about it for the rest of my life, regretting that I wasn't brave enough to do it.

So anyone who is near Harper's Ferry that time or want to start there as well is more than welcome to join me!

//Kirsten

Driver8
11-23-2010, 08:20
I'm excited for you! I might be able to join you for a day or a weekend, and might could do some trail angeling for you. We'll see. Have you chosen a trail name and started a Trail Journal yet?

Kirsten
11-23-2010, 12:36
Hej hej :)

yes I am excited as well!!!
I don't have a trail name yet and neither a trail journal, but I want the name to find me and not the other way around, does that sound silly? :P
About the trail journal, well its still over 6 months, but I may start one around christmas, after my exam period.

And yes it would be cool, if we could walk together for a weekend or so. :)
Tomorrow I'm going to book my flight...oh god, then I really have to do it!
Did you do a thruhike or just sectionhiking or are you planning to do a thruhike?

Blissful
11-23-2010, 12:52
It will be a great adventure!!

Driver8
11-23-2010, 13:34
Hej hej :)

yes I am excited as well!!!
I don't have a trail name yet and neither a trail journal, but I want the name to find me and not the other way around, does that sound silly? :P
About the trail journal, well its still over 6 months, but I may start one around christmas, after my exam period.

And yes it would be cool, if we could walk together for a weekend or so. :)
Tomorrow I'm going to book my flight...oh god, then I really have to do it!
Did you do a thruhike or just sectionhiking or are you planning to do a thruhike?

Hi Kirsten!

Letting your trailname find you is a great idea, lots of thrus, if not most, do that, so I hear.

I'm a weekend hiker who intends to do some section hiking starting next year. More than that, for now, is unlikely. I just got passionately into hiking this year, having always enjoyed it, occasionally, in years past. I see myself hiking large parts of the AT over the coming years, but not feeling a need to do it all.

My plan is more to go to selected awesome beloved places - Yosemite, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain, Denali, lesser known parks in the US and other great places around the world - and to them. I will mean more to me to have hiked up Longs Peak in honor of my mother (who hiked/climbed it twice in high school), to hike the John Muir Trail out at Yosemite and nearby, and other adventures, than to hike the AT thru in one go. I admire greatly you and others who do a thru or a long section hike of the AT, however.

I love the parts of the Trail that I've seen so far, near me in CT, MA and VT, and would enjoy traversing parts of it with you and giving you local color and geological background - the Taconics, for instance, along NY state's border with CT, MA and VT and including Greylock, Everett, Race and Bear Mtns., were formed 440M-odd years ago and, in their day, towered, some of them, over 20K feet! My brain is a sponge for that kind of info, and I'm always happy to share. :)

Firefighter503
11-26-2010, 00:55
Kirsten,

I am planning on thru hiking this Spring with one of my brothers. We are going to be picking up another one of my brothers and a friend the second week of May and will probably be coming through Harpers Ferry right around the end of May. We are planning on a mid August finish. We are all weekend/section hikers at this point (Maryland, West Virginia, and alot of Virginia knocked out thus far in sections), and actually hiked out of Harpers Ferry last Saturday to knock out the state of Maryland. Definitely a great place to start your section (Maryland is one continuous Ridge Walk with a few valleys to cross through along the way).

If it works out that we end up in HF around the same time that you are starting, you are welcome to fall in with us as well.

Benjamin Bio
01-02-2011, 23:35
Hey Kirsten,

I'm starting my section hike NOBO from Harper's Ferry in that same week, haven't pinned down a date (between May 23 and June 1 depending on schedule.)

I will turn 18 soon, I have some hiking experience and will be training a great deal more. Still working out gear and food logistics.

I'm just looking for someone to start with, my mom will be concerned if I start alone. I have no fixed end date or location yet either, but if I could hit Katahdin by late August that would be great!

I assume you're at least bilingual Deutsch/English, I'm bilingual Francais/English.

If I'm too young/inexperienced or whatever that's understandable.

novabob71
01-03-2011, 19:34
Hej!!
My name is Bobby I just wanted to say hello and wish you luck... I am from america and live in Sweden(Kalmar)...I will be hiking the trail in march from the start from the begining in GA. Good luck and take care