PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Horror Story: My ONE Day on the AT

cindellasaurus
11-23-2010, 02:31
Back in August, myself and two guys that I know from school headed up to Maine to start hiking SOBO on the AT. While they planned on going all the way, I knew that I couldn't afford it, and I didnt think we would make it all the way before the weather prevented us from safely continuing on, but I was excited to go as far as my money would take me. Unfortunately, money didnt end up being the determining factor when it came to ending my hike, one of my hiking companions was.... a hiker's nightmare. In the end, I spent ONE day hiking the Appalachian Trail, and went home very disappointed.

Trouble began the day my parents drove us the 5 hours from where we live in New Hampshire, all the way up to Baxter State Park. Upon arriving at the South Gate to the park, a very nice Ranger informed us that we should consider booking another night at the Katahdin Falls Campground because we wouldn't be able to hike Katahdin, summit, return that same day and then make it out of the park before nightfall. The companion whom I mentioned before and I shall refer to as "Jerkwad" began muttering things under his breath like 'That dumb b**** doesnt know what she's talking about" & "what a fat f***, look at her legs..they're HUGE... I say we just hike up tonight, and walk out of the park tomorrow" (personally, I found that this was an AWESOME idea, seeing as how none of us were familiar with the mountain... NOT). I was very put off by this, because I thought the lady was just doing her job, but Jerkwad ignored me when I asked him to please stop picking on her for stupid reasons.

After receiving our reservation we drove the 8 miles down the dirt road and arrived at Katahdin Falls Campground where we checked in with the ranger there, Bruce, who was very helpful and let us know that we could pick up day packs in the morning and leave our gear at the Rangers' cabin. The second we walked out the screen door and began down the steps on the cabin porch, Jerkwad began going on about how Bruce was 'shady' and would probably 'go through our packs and steal our gear' and how '[jerkwad] didnt trust him and [was] going to carry [his] gear up Katahdin' (might I add his pack weighed about 45lbs..). Jerkwad continued on as we headed to our campsite, calling Bruce an Ass-h*** (for absolutely NO REASON!).. and insulting the man over and over.

As we set up our tents Jerkwad was yelling very loudly, employing many choice swears and slurs, despite the fact that a family was camped next to us and I asked him to please keep his voice down (it was after 8 and beginning to get dark). I told him to be considerate and he basically ignored me, singing loudly "Bitches aint *****, Bitches aint *****, Bitches aint ***** but hoes and tricks" at which time I was completely mortified to see a taller man who looked like he might be Native American walking past with his daughter who couldnt have been older than 10. The man was clearly offended by the harsh language and lack of consideration coming from Jerkwad. The night concluded with Jerkwad eating dinner INSIDE of his tent...and much more foul language.

The morning of our hike began with Jerkwad setting a caterpillar on fire 'to see if it was alive' (SERIOUSLY?).. and us unloading our gear at the Rangers' Cabin. I carried.. maybe 10-15 lbs up the mountain including lots of water (it was about 100 degrees that day!) while my companions carried nearly 40lbs, leaving only their tents and sleeping bags behind. We began hiking at a much too fast pace, I kept up, but I knew that with the loads that Jerkwad and the other guy were carrying, we would soon have to stop.

Every five to ten minutes we stopped, the other two out of breath, Jerkwad inquiring of me 'why aren't you out of breath!?' and then adding 'it's okay..we have all day'. At our little pit stops, Jerkwad took the liberty of retrieving his buck knife from his bag and using it to stab trees while grunting loudly. After a few stops, Jerkwad decided to throw his knife at a dead stump near Katahdin Falls, at this point I was overjoyed to find that the dead stump had defeated the buck knife, and that the blade had broken from the handle. To my horror, Jerkwad shrugged and informed us 'It's okay..I've still got Henry VII here' as he pulled a two foot MACHETE out of his pack. I cringed. It was going to be a long day.

I enjoyed climbing over all the rocks and making my way up Katahdin, so long as I was a ways ahead of Jerkwad. Whenever we met up I was so put off by his shouts of 'F*** Maine!' and his complaints like "I hate Mormons' after a bunch of Mormon hikers passed us, and were still in EARSHOT.. that I was nearly wishing to lose my balance and tumble over the side of the mountain. I was even more embarrassed when I found Jerkwad taking stones from trail markers and chucking them back down the trail. After seven HOURS ('oh, but we have ALL DAY!') and many "F*** Maine"s and "I HATE Canadians" and one exclamation of 'guys, I dont think I can make it" with 2 miles to the top we reached the summit of Katahdin.

After trying to tell us that we didnt have time to eat (um.. I just hiked seven hours.. I'm sure as hell going to have some ramen and power bar and tons of water!) Jerkwad headed down without myself and the other guy. Eventually we caught up.. but I was terrified heading down the boulders. I'm deathly afraid of heights, and didnt realize how close to the edge I would be while hiking.. I basically scooted down the mountain on my butt for fear that I would lose my balance and fall. The other guy was nice enough to help me pick safe routes through the boulders, and make sure I wasnt left behind after Jerkwad led me to a place where I had to jump down nearly 6 feet.

Jerkwad eventually stopped waiting for us and zoomed ahead. After a total of 13 hours on the mountain (oh yeah.. we HAD ALL DAY..and we took ALL DAY) we made it to the bottom.. by this time my hips and knees were destroyed... a mile from the bottom (& the only place with cell phone reception) I called home. I was crying because I didnt want to leave, but I knew that I was NOT going to enjoy a second of hiking with Jerkwad as part of the group..and after hearing him talk about swimming across rivers if we couldn't find a ferry.. I decided his rudeness, recklessness, and lack of respect for the trail and other hikers were just more than I wanted to deal with.

The next morning I heard Jerkwad trying to tell the other guy that he wanted to do at LEAST 13 miles that day (this coming from mr. we've hiked 2 miles and guys..I dont think I'm going to make it)... I knew that going home was the right choice at that point.

I feel pretty lame that I spent 8 months planning and buying gear and getting all excited and ready to go, and all desire to hike was lost in one day. Now of course all I want is another go at it. While I waited the 5 hours that day for my parents to pick me up, I met a very nice lady who sounded like she was from Australia or maybe New Zealand.. and she insisted that I didnt quit 'just because Katahdin was a bitch!' She was very nice, and I think that someday.. with better companions, I'll definitely attempt it again. Until then, I look forward to many shorter hikes, and trips into the woods, and I hope that I (and all other hikers!) never EVER come across anyone like Jerkwad while on the trail!

DapperD
11-23-2010, 03:40
One thing we need to learn in life and the sooner we learn it the better off we are is to pick and choose our friends and who we intend to spend our valuable and limited time with and associate with very wisely. In this instance I will assume the individual who was acting so irrational and disrespectful did not give previous signs of acting this way to you before you commited yourself on this hike or most likely you would have had immediate second thoughts. You sound like an easy going respectful type person who was accompanying a literal jerk. Unfortunately things like this happen everyday. At least your other hiking partner wasn't as asinine and didn't abandon you on the climb down or who knows, it could have turned out much worse. One thing I have read here on Whiteblaze over and over are people who are experienced giving sound advice and one thing I always see and read are prospective thru-hikers asking for partners and those experienced members telling them to simply go themselves and meet people as they go, that it will work out better in the long run. I believe this to be true. That unless you really know a potential partner, that to go with someone who is basically unfamiliar to yourself (personality, hiking style, thru-hiking goals and choices, etc...) then that is a mistake. People who you do not really know can have undesirable qualities that once discovered change your entire view of them. This individual appears to be easily that type of person. I think you realize and will realize when you look back in retrospect how even your safety was actually jeopardized, and not just by the dangers of the mountain, but by his disrespect of other people whom he did not even know. The sad part when something like this occurs is that your joy of experiencing what could have been the wonderful climb of an awe inspiring mountain was and will be forever tainted with the bad memories of how this person behaved. On a brighter note I am sure you will have learned something about yourself from this experience, and in your future adventures you will surely be more selective of the company you choose to keep:-?. Good Luck

Bucherm
11-23-2010, 03:43
What DapperD said. In addition, people that you have no problem with in "The Real World" might suddenly become difficult on the Trail.

Someone on the board posted a story about meeting a guy who was stepping off the trail after starting it with his best friend.

"How long were you friends?"
"From Third Grade to Vermont".

Torch09
11-23-2010, 05:21
What does a Mormon hiker look like?

Bucherm
11-23-2010, 06:51

http://strategerie.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/glenn-beck.jpg

More seriously, that the person who is yelling "Bitches aint ***** but hoes and tricks" and is (I admit to going out on a limb here, but the OP is from NH and hiking trends towards one demographic) white has a skewed view of what constitutes being tough/a man.

Young punk who is acting like a hoodlum in the woods. Classy. Hopefully it was a one-off event and next time she sees him he'll be mortified by his behavior.

Toolshed
11-23-2010, 07:37
I wonder if jerkwad is the same idiot SOBO SOB that was carving his name into al the shelters....?

nitewalker
11-23-2010, 07:43
I wonder if jerkwad is the same idiot SOBO SOB that was carving his name into al the shelters....?

you could be on to something here but my guess is he didnt have the sack to make it all the way. :eek:

Marta
11-23-2010, 07:53
Wow! For a lot of young hikers, their trip is a coming of age experience. Sounds like you took a gigantic leap towards coming of age in that one day.

Despite the popular perception that it's better and safer to have a hiking partner, I strongly disagree. You are much better off planning a solo journey. You will probably meet up with people you enjoy hiking with, and who will enrich your trip (and vice versa), but don't depend on any one particular person to make the trip happen for you.

Good luck with the long hike that awaits you in the future!

Sierra Echo
11-23-2010, 07:56

I was wondering that myself. I want to know how to have confirmed mormon hiker sighting! :D

Mizirlou
11-23-2010, 08:20
...In the end, I spent ONE day hiking the Appalachian Trail, and went home very disappointed.

I feel pretty lame that I spent 8 months planning and buying gear and getting all excited and ready to go, and all desire to hike was lost in one day...

Learn to assert yourself. Unlearn passivity. No reason to be the do-girl for others on the Trail; yogi’s would flock to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMXImYguDRU
Assertiveness formula. Practice, practice, practice.

Gray Blazer
11-23-2010, 08:30

Gray Blazer. Seriously.

warraghiyagey
11-23-2010, 08:56
Now of course all I want is another go at it.

Maybe plan to go it alone. . . you will fall in with other hikers that are more to your liking fairly quickly. It seems pre-arranged hiking partners frequently do not work out. . .
Hope you get to give it another go. . . :sun

Wise Old Owl
11-23-2010, 09:01

Notice the bear feet and bonnet and lack of pack. You don't have to make these things up- they are for real and it was the second couple.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/5/5/2/dscf2997.jpg

Wise Old Owl
11-23-2010, 09:02
Oh darn I got mormon and mennonite confused - sorry.

Here Great looking Mormon Family Hikers
http://mormonwoman.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/5-27-08_021.gif

Lone Wolf
11-23-2010, 09:04
looks like a mennonite hiker. i don't see any bear feet but she is barefoot

4eyedbuzzard
11-23-2010, 09:14
Tough life lesson cinderellasaurus. Next time you'll know to have a plan B, and plan C (or make one up quickly) - as in ditch the jerkwads and don't let them ruin your hike (or anything else in life). Sorry about your experience.

Cookerhiker
11-23-2010, 09:19
Cindellasaurus, I'm sorry for the hell you went through. This has been a life lesson for you. Don't lose the dream of a thru or long-distance AT hike and like others, I encourage you to hike without a partner - you'll meet plenty of others.

As for Jerkwad, I'd be surprised if he made it past the 100 Mile Wilderness.

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2010, 09:23
Curious, how long have you known Jerkwad? And what was the other "hiker" you were with doing in all this? I get the impression he's just some passive-kind of guy that just went along.

Where are they now?

Wise Old Owl
11-23-2010, 09:35
looks like a mennonite hiker. i don't see any bear feet but she is barefoot

Ohh I knew I shouldn't post in the morning,,,,, Hmm did you see the Hairy Ankles... Thats Bear Feet! :p She didn't shave,

As for the orginal post, it appears our female hiker has once again discovered boys mentally will be boys, until they mature to be men.

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2010, 09:46
As for the orginal post, it appears our female hiker has once again discovered boys mentally will be boys, until they mature to be men.
Yeah, boys will be boys...but that's a little extreme. Personally, I think the only real way to fix that problem is to drop them off in the middle of the wilderness and let them try and find their way out and if it kills him, so be it.

If that doesn't work, then there's just no fixin' him; we don't have the technology, yet...

Mizirlou
11-23-2010, 09:58
Curious, how long have you known Jerkwad? And what was the other "hiker" you were with doing in all this? I get the impression he's just some passive-kind of guy that just went along.

Where are they now?

Cindellasaurus, from your profile I see you’ve picked a college in a challenging metropolis. Onward & upward! Leave Jerkwad in your dust. His trajectory in life isn’t looking as good as yours. Eventually he’ll buck up against someone bigger & badder. HYOH on the Trail and in life, good luck and ditto the above questions:rolleyes:

chiefduffy
11-23-2010, 11:02
....and I think that someday.. with better companions, I'll definitely attempt it again. Until then, I look forward to many shorter hikes, and trips into the woods....!

^^^ This, and all the things you learned, make it a successful hike. Happy trails!

Gray Blazer
11-23-2010, 11:16
^^^ This, and all the things you learned, make it a successful hike. Happy trails!

Chief may not have realized it, but, he hiked with a Mormon hiker last Saturday.

Driver8
11-23-2010, 11:28
That's quite a one-day story, Cin! Hope the views from the summit were nice! How well did you know "Jerkwad" before your hike? Had he shown behavior like this before? I hope he wasn't a boyfriend, if I may say so! Maybe this acting out was his way of sabotaging a dream that really was yours, only, and not his, in fact?

I was horrified from early on in your story and found myself wishing you'd've ditched the guy when he was insulting and abusive towards the female ranger, the one who told you you'd need to wait until the next day.

As to hiking with/without a partner, I say you've plenty of time in college to find good hiking friends and, who knows, maybe a good AT thru-hiking partner. If the dream still burns within you to thru the AT, then don't let one bad apple spoil it for you. And nice as it is to have a good hiking partner, something tells me you'll always keep in mind how disastrous it is to have a bad one! :)

earlyriser26
11-23-2010, 11:43
Hiking alone is easier. However, I don't know how you would have done attempting the wilderness if it took you 13 hours to climb the big K with a day pack.

the goat
11-23-2010, 12:00
I feel pretty lame that I spent 8 months planning and buying gear and getting all excited and ready to go, and all desire to hike was lost in one day.

don't feel too bad, that's what the majority of people do.

Despite the popular perception that it's better and safer to have a hiking partner, I strongly disagree. You are much better off planning a solo journey. You will probably meet up with people you enjoy hiking with, and who will enrich your trip (and vice versa), but don't depend on any one particular person to make the trip happen for you.

i couldn't agree more, excellent advice.

yaduck9
11-23-2010, 12:18
One thing we need to learn in life and the sooner we learn it the better off we are is to pick and choose our friends and who we intend to spend our valuable and limited time with and associate with very wisely. In this instance I will assume the individual who was acting so irrational and disrespectful did not give previous signs of acting this way to you before you commited yourself on this hike or most likely you would have had immediate second thoughts. You sound like an easy going respectful type person who was accompanying a literal jerk. Unfortunately things like this happen everyday. At least your other hiking partner wasn't as asinine and didn't abandon you on the climb down or who knows, it could have turned out much worse. One thing I have read here on Whiteblaze over and over are people who are experienced giving sound advice and one thing I always see and read are prospective thru-hikers asking for partners and those experienced members telling them to simply go themselves and meet people as they go, that it will work out better in the long run. I believe this to be true. That unless you really know a potential partner, that to go with someone who is basically unfamiliar to yourself (personality, hiking style, thru-hiking goals and choices, etc...) then that is a mistake. People who you do not really know can have undesirable qualities that once discovered change your entire view of them. This individual appears to be easily that type of person. I think you realize and will realize when you look back in retrospect how even your safety was actually jeopardized, and not just by the dangers of the mountain, but by his disrespect of other people whom he did not even know. The sad part when something like this occurs is that your joy of experiencing what could have been the wonderful climb of an awe inspiring mountain was and will be forever tainted with the bad memories of how this person behaved. On a brighter note I am sure you will have learned something about yourself from this experience, and in your future adventures you will surely be more selective of the company you choose to keep:-?. Good Luck

Have to agree with what he said.
I might add that until you are confident enough to go it alone, you will always be at the "mercy" of the "jerkwad's" of the world.
Just my two cents.

sbhikes
11-23-2010, 12:23
It's unfortunate that you were so affected by this idiot to have decided to quit. I think I would have faked quitting to get rid of the guy and then gone back to hike by myself (or with the other person you were with.)

The guy sounds like a sociopath and a budding serial killer. I hope he get put in jail quickly before he hurts anyone.

StorminMormon
11-23-2010, 12:26
Cool story, thanks for sharing. And Mormon hikers aren't that bad. Trust me. :)

Feral Bill
11-23-2010, 12:28
Ohh I knew I shouldn't post in the morning,,,,, Hmm did you see the Hairy Ankles... Thats Bear Feet! :p She didn't shave,

If they ever do mature.

Driver8
11-23-2010, 13:45
It's unfortunate that you were so affected by this idiot to have decided to quit. I think I would have faked quitting to get rid of the guy and then gone back to hike by myself (or with the other person you were with.)

The guy sounds like a sociopath and a budding serial killer. I hope he get put in jail quickly before he hurts anyone.

Agree entirely.

As to earlyriser's comment about the K taking 13 hours, I believe that was largely b/c the other two hikers slowed you down, right? I say give it another go if the fire still burns within you. ...

earlyriser26
11-23-2010, 15:02
Agree entirely.

As to earlyriser's comment about the K taking 13 hours, I believe that was largely b/c the other two hikers slowed you down, right? I say give it another go if the fire still burns within you. ...

Maybe I was reading too much into the day, and the big K is a tough first day on the trail, but unless I missread your note, the jerk that carried a mostly filled pack made it down first. Was the "jerk" the only factor? Don't worry, you can try it again. I always like to think in terms of I will hike until I want to stop. If it is a thru, so be it. No special prizes are given for a thru.

jesse
11-23-2010, 15:16

1 man
6 women
58 children

jesse
11-23-2010, 15:18
You could have just gotten ahead of them and kept walking.

berninbush
11-23-2010, 15:18

That's what I was thinking. Torturing small animals (including insects) is one of the early warning signs of a sociopath. They progress to larger animals and humans. It sounds like he already has a complete disregard for social norms, extreme narcissm, and an inability to experience empathy. The recipe for disaster, for sure. It's good you are not spending any more time with him.

StorminMormon
11-23-2010, 15:22
1 man
6 women
58 children

Hilarious. :confused:

Spokes
11-23-2010, 15:25

I read it wrong- Thought she was referring to Jerkwad "The Moron Hiker"

GracefulRoll
11-23-2010, 15:35
It's official. I'm starting out solo.

4eyedbuzzard
11-23-2010, 15:45
Yeah, boys will be boys...but that's a little extreme. Personally, I think the only real way to fix that problem is to drop them off in the middle of the wilderness and let them try and find their way out and if it kills him, so be it.

If that doesn't work, then there's just no fixin' him; we don't have the technology, yet...
12 weeks at Paris Island might straighten his ass out.

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2010, 15:52
I don't know about that in today's world.

StorminMormon
11-23-2010, 15:54
I don't know about that in today's world.

Who is John Galt? :D

Luddite
11-23-2010, 16:41
Oh darn I got mormon and mennonite confused - sorry.

Yeah, Mormons just look like regular people. The fundamentalist Mormons dress similar to Mennonites, except they don't wear bonnets.

Driver8
11-23-2010, 16:44

... or make him into one world class super-sociopath. ...

cindellasaurus
11-23-2010, 17:06
you could be on to something here but my guess is he didnt have the sack to make it all the way. :eek:

You're right, they quit after the hundred mile wilderness. The last I heard "Jerkwad" was telling people it was my fault they had to end their hike.? I'm not sure how this is possible.. considering I left after 1 day.

Mormon hikers.. well, we knew they were mormon, or assumed, because the women hikers were wearing long dresses that you see on TV and such with bonnets that covered their hair.The men carried all the supplies, and there were 9 women and only 3 men. I suppose that's a stereotypical description, and we shouldn't have assumed, and could even have been wrong, not that it mattered whether they were or not.

And Mormon hikers aren't that bad. Trust me. :)
Oh don’t worry, I thought the Mormon hikers were perfectly nice, they all said “hello” and asked how we were, and they were full of smiles which is why I was particularly embarrassed when Jerkwad yelled about hating Mormons. There was no reason for it.

Also, I dont think it would have taken 13 hours at all if we hadnt stopped a million times, and those of you who said I should have gone on, I think you're right. At the time we all planned to stay together, and I just didnt think about going ahead. I wish I had! As for the "other guy" that you asked about, he just thought that Jerkwad was funny. No matter how many times I asked Jerkwad to tone it down, he completely ignored me, and the other guy didnt bother to speak up. I got the feeling that Jerkwad thought because I was a girl that I didnt belong there.

LUCKILY Jerkwad IS NOT my boyfriend! Prior to the hike he always seemed pretty normal. He was quiet and I felt like maybe he doubted how much I really wanted to hike, but I didnt think he was going to go around stabbing trees and setting caterpillars on fire.!

I think I'll definitely hike alone next time, or at least with someone whom I've spent a significant amount of time in the woods with, so as to make sure they aren't completely loopy!

Driver8
11-23-2010, 17:28
Mormon hikers.. well, we knew they were mormon, or assumed, because the women hikers were wearing long dresses that you see on TV and such with bonnets that covered their hair.The men carried all the supplies, and there were 9 women and only 3 men. I suppose that's a stereotypical description, and we shouldn't have assumed, and could even have been wrong, not that it mattered whether they were or not.

Sounds like they might've been Mennonite. I any event, he was a jerkwad to catcall at them for their religion. You picked a great trail name for him! :)

At the time we all planned to stay together, and I just didnt think about going ahead. I wish I had!

Getting yourself as far away as possible from J/w as soon as possible was absolutely the right call, Cin. Well judged! And you likely were so disturbed and discomfited that going out into the 100 miles, trying to stay ahead of J/w or, worse, trying to stay behind him and not catch up, would have been a stinking expedition for you. Maine's trail is plenty difficult enough without all that hassle and drama. I think you made the right call under the circumstances.

LUCKILY Jerkwad IS NOT my boyfriend! Prior to the hike he always seemed pretty normal. He was quiet and I felt like maybe he doubted how much I really wanted to hike, but I didnt think he was going to go around stabbing trees and setting caterpillars on fire.!

Thank God for small blessings is a saying even atheists can agree to now and then. :)

I think I'll definitely hike alone next time, or at least with someone whom I've spent a significant amount of time in the woods with, so as to make sure they aren't completely loopy!

Biggest, most important lesson learned! :banana Something tells me that you'll have a much better experience next time. Many happy trails to you, and welcome to White Blaze!

Speakeasy TN
11-23-2010, 17:54
Hey Cin! Don't let this experience change your mind about the Trail. I would bet you anything that within the first 3 days out you'll find somebody that's so kind that it will balance out Jerkwads karma! HYOH

peakbagger
11-23-2010, 18:04
To come back a bit on the thread, if you are from NH there are plenty of opportunities to go hiking with people in the whites year round. If you are willing to ask questions and observe, you will get some trail skills plus have a chance to decide who you do and dont like to hike with. Obviously you picked a wrong partner once and its highly likely it may happen again unless you can go hiking with them for a couple of weekend and week long trips prior to the AT. That is why most folks start solo and then figure out who they get along with. I expect its rare for two people to go together the whole way unless they are married or in signficant relationship.

For NH groups to get experience hiking, the various meetup groups in southern NH and Eastern Mass have a lot of day hikes most weekends, NH Chapter of AMC and the Maine chapter of the AMC also run trips. There is also the Viewsfromthetop.com crowd, although they tend to be advanced and schedule most of their hikes via facebook. The meetup groups tend to be older folks than you but that just means that your pace may be faster than them (dont count on it). For overnight experiences especially this time of year its tough for entry level as cold weather camping requires a lot of gear.

fiddlehead
11-23-2010, 21:19
Good story. Made me laugh a few times at the ignorance of a beginner hiker (Jerkweed, not you)
But yes, you should have waited a day or two (camped at Abol bridge perhaps?) and then continued with some other SOBOers you would meet there.
Your goal of hiking the trail may be in jeopardy simply because of someone's thoughtless and irresponsible doings.

I think you should find a suitable partner and go back out there next year if it's at all possible.
Don't let this experience ruin your hiking life.

warraghiyagey
11-23-2010, 21:23
1 man
6 women
58 children
:p:p. . . now that's funny. . . .

Bucherm
11-23-2010, 21:27

Thought they split that with SOI East at Camp Lejeune? :-?

(Don't look at me, I was a Squid)

excuses
11-23-2010, 22:18
I'm envious, in one day you climbed what I won't get to for a couple of more years!

John Klein
11-23-2010, 23:57
Thought they split that with SOI East at Camp Lejeune? :-?

(Don't look at me, I was a Squid)
Parris Island is actually 13 weeks if you count the first week of processing and forming. Marine Combat Training (for non-infantry) is 29 days at Camp Geiger (near Camp Lejeune).

Wise Old Owl
11-24-2010, 00:33
So Jerkwad got it wrong and they were Mennonite...Then yelled at them, "I hate mormons!" - what an idiot.

Kerosene
11-24-2010, 07:52
So Jerkwad got it wrong and they were Mennonite...Then yelled at them, "I hate mormons!" - what an idiot.Well, at least he didn't offend the Mennonites! ;)

Marta
11-24-2010, 08:30
Re: Hiking with a partner... One of the good points of the Barefoot Sisters' books is that they deal in depth and at length with the conflicts they had with each other. In a nutshell, they spent a lot of time and emotional energy resenting each other because they both felt as if the other one was dictating the terms of the hike.

It was a dynamic I saw constantly going on amongst hikers. The group (or a pair) has a decision to make. Generally the most forceful person in the group will prevail. You have to be very self-aware and very strong mentally to resist that pressure from the group and do what is best for you. The temptation to cave is not really just from weakness; it's also because it's probably more fun hiking with the group than hiking by yourself. However, the price of letting other people dictate the terms of your hike is that you won't be doing things that are the best for you.

StarLyte
11-24-2010, 08:33

WHAT a story - what a jerk indeed. I would have done just about anything to avoid him.

I was thinking sociopath as well. He sounds like BIG trouble ! Hope someone stops him in his path before he hurts someone.

sherrill
11-24-2010, 09:15
Jerkwad is Katz seduced by the dark side of the force.

wornoutboots
11-24-2010, 10:46

Love it! Or if that doesn't work drop them off in the middle of the Everglades & if that doesn't kill them???

Driver8
11-24-2010, 11:34
Re: Hiking with a partner... One of the good points of the Barefoot Sisters' books is that they deal in depth and at length with the conflicts they had with each other. In a nutshell, they spent a lot of time and emotional energy resenting each other because they both felt as if the other one was dictating the terms of the hike.

It's true they have their fights, but then there are the numerous days like the sheer bliss they share slacking from Duncannon to Boiling Spring, running in the rain, picking berries and cherries as they go, the songs and silly stories they make up to keep each other entertained.

I am blessed to have a very fine hiking partner - I owe my ability to get out on trail so frequently this past half year to his ability to join me, and vice versa. I've always enjoyed hiking, but having him there to join me - other friends join me on occasion, and I hike solo now and then, too, but most of the time Jason and I pair up, sometimes also with his son - has made hiking all the more enjoyable and possible.

I think the Barefoot Sisters' experience, and my own with Jay - heck, even that of Bill Bryson with "Katz" - shows that, while there will always be differences between people (sometimes Jay slows me down, sometimes I lag him), and while you can and will meet and make new friends on a long distance hike, there's no substitute for a good, steady hiking partner - a close friend or family member who, when the chips are down, will always have your back. This Thanksgiving, it's one of the biggest things I am thankful for, to have found a good hiking buddy.

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2010, 12:42

Very profound.:D

StormBird
11-25-2010, 16:39
you know this already, but don't be afraid to hike alone. It's probably better to start your hike alone since it is a feat in itself to spent 24/7 with the same person for 6 months. Being free of obligations towards a hiking partner opens up alot more adventures on trail. And you meet alot more very interesting and amazing people along the way.

Good luck on a future attempt.

cindellasaurus
12-13-2010, 19:28

Hahaha. This is fantastic, and quite true. I'm surprised Jerkwad didn't start chucking his food out when he decided the hike was too difficult. The few meals that I spent with him and Other Guy, Jerkwad expected Other Guy to cook his food for him, just because they were sharing a stove.. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd dumped his food to lessen his pack weight, and then asked Other Guy to not only cook his food, but supply it. :p

bfitz
12-13-2010, 19:59
One thing is for certain...time wounds all heels. Jerkwad (nice trail name btw...) will one day mouth off in the presence of someone less restrained than the father who happened by during the unfortunate rap at the campground, and perhaps he'll learn from the mistake. As for future long-section or thru-hiking plans, I suggest northbounding. Plenty of personalities to choose from and you'll likely find a crew that hikes your speed and is pleasant company at the shelter...also a bit nicer weather-wise and a bigger bite of trail society in general, and of course, trail-days.

RGB
12-13-2010, 20:59
Really sorry you had such a crummy experience on your first attempt. Unfortunately, there's a lot of these types out there (read: asshats) and we have to deal with them. Fortunately, there aren't a lot on the trail. You made the right choice. Lighting bugs on fire and yelling "bitches ain't ****?" Sounds like a psychopathic wanksta. Your hike would have been miserable if you stayed with him and it sounds like his rudeness would have given you a bad rep by association up and down the trail and his recklessness would have gotten you injured or worse.

A friend and I are starting from Maine in June 2012 (that's the plan anyway). I'll give you a heads up when it gets closer in case you're interested in joining. If you're in college though I'd advise you finish before doing it. My graduation gift to myself! I'll still let you know anyway. Happy trails!

TheYoungOne
12-13-2010, 21:42
I just find it funny that the guy had a buck knife AND a machette. Sounds like a real tool. You were better off without him. Someone like that will probably get you killed.

TheChop
12-13-2010, 21:49
I just find it funny that the guy had a buck knife AND a machette. Sounds like a real tool. You were better off without him. Someone like that will probably get you killed.

This is why I don't think hiking with someone else is inherently safer than going it alone. Safety isn't a zero sum game but hiking with an inexperienced or unprepared person can be a net negative in terms of safety.

Dances with Mice
12-14-2010, 08:18
I just find it funny that the guy had a buck knife AND a machette. Sounds like a real tool. Really. A Samurai sword and knife set would have been much lighter.

JJMcK
12-19-2010, 09:55
Get a dog. Airedales are great.