PDA

View Full Version : do you find time for church on the trail?

RITBlake
12-14-2004, 01:32
Please, lets not turn this in to a 'my religion is better then yours' forum.

I simply want to know if catholic/christian thru hikers are able to find time for making a service or two along the trail. If no, it certainly wouldn't keep me off the trail but I am curious.

Obviously you'd have to be in a trail town on a sunday or a saturday at the right time. But do you? :-?

bondboy
12-14-2004, 02:41
In Pearisburg The Hostel Is Located On The Grounds Of A Catholic Church. They Have Wed. Evening Mass. The Caretaker Turned 75 The Day I Was There, Says They Will Shut It Down When/if He Retires. Another Neat Church Is By Cornwall Bridge 1/4 Mile Off The Trail North Of Kent (ct)

A-Train
12-14-2004, 03:03
The only mass I attended was on Easter Sunday at the Catholic Church in Pearisburg (I'm not in the least bit religious). The homily wasn't particularly inspiring but it was awful nice to be a part of the local community and to be so welcomed into the church. Had the added bonus of having my folks there, as well as sharing the day with other hikers and Pearisburg residents.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2004, 06:00
Catholic churches are hard to find in the south. We have 8 churches in Damascus. None of them Catholic.

rocket04
12-14-2004, 10:38
I think if I recall I saw lots of signs for methodist churches around towns. I'm assuming that provided you're around town on Sunday, you should be able to get to one. That's if you're not set on catholic, that is. You did say /christian, so I assume that would be OK.

Jaybird
12-14-2004, 10:44
Please, lets not turn this in to a 'my religion is better then yours' forum.
I simply want to know if catholic/christian thru hikers are able to find time for making a service or two along the trail. If no, it certainly wouldn't keep me off the trail but I am curious.
Obviously you'd have to be in a trail town on a sunday or a saturday at the right time. But do you? :-?

i find the woods an "awe-inspiring" spiritual experience in itself....but, to answer your question....i have attended services while hiking (even tho' i'm a section-hiker)...i even heard an unbelievably inspired "sermon" by Bill Irwin in Damascus on a Sunday morning (Trail Days 2004)

Tha Wookie
12-14-2004, 10:49
It might depend on your definition of "church", but the there is a verse (can't remember which of the top of my head) that defines it a more than one or two folks praising God together.

So that means you could make or find Christian friends on the trail (and there are plently) to hold little services with. You could even do it walking.

The best part about it is that you're in God's church, instead of one of the many gaudy buildings meant to please people and collect dust.

As a Christian, it becomes a very exciting opportunity to walk your faith, and turn your hike into something much more special.

The more I praise God on the trail, the more vibrant nature becomes, to the point where it all speaks to me. It all has one, deeply compassionate voice.

Stand on a rock outcrop on a sunny day, or under a forest streaming with rain, or a ridge driven by snow, or lay under your tarp and listen - that's what I call church.

Rain Man
12-14-2004, 11:23
Please, lets not turn this in to a 'my religion is better then yours' forum. ... I simply want to know if catholic/christian ...

???? I think you just did.

Rain Man

Blue Jay
12-14-2004, 11:34
???? I think you just did.

Rain Man

Good one Rain Man. Religion is such a dangerous subject. That's why they used to try and keep it out of politics.

MOWGLI
12-14-2004, 11:36
I simply want to know if catholic/christian thru hikers are able to find time for making a service or two along the trail.

Like anything else, you have to make the time, 'cause you ain't never gonna find it - IMO. If I had tried to "find" the time to do my thru-hike, I'd still be searching.

Regarding church, here's an entry from my trail journal that you might enjoy. Its in-line with Tha Wookie's sentiments.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=85277

12-14-2004, 11:38
In 2000 we did a lot of hiking with a guy who I do not think ever missed a Sunday service. He had a very good plan. He would look ahead to the next Sunday while at one church and use the pastor there to make contact at the next church. He always had some one at the trail head to meet him, take him to their house to shower and would almost always feed him. He was Church of Christ I believe. He said it was real easy. He did carry a cell phone so he could call the night before to his contact to make it easy on the person picking him up.

It was amazing. The church people would go out of their way to do things for him. Church of Christ are not as popular as other churches and I know several times people drove over an hour to pick him up. The churches would take him shopping for resupply would house him in towns and pay/cook all his meals. I think anyone dedicated to going to a formal services and making arragments to do so would more than likely find the same result.

MOWGLI
12-14-2004, 11:48
In 2000 we did a lot of hiking with a guy who I do not think ever missed a Sunday service. He had a very good plan.

Would that be Mr. Lone Star? I posted a photo of Lone Star, Profile & Almanac and the world famous Little Bear in the gallery yesterday.

Spirit Walker
12-14-2004, 12:01
On the AT I went to church often. It was really interesting to experience the wide variety of churches and congregations along the trail. Some were inspiring, some made me very happy not to belong to the local church. Ones I remember: Hot Springs (Catholic), Damascus (It's a church hostel, the least I could do was attend their service. Hated it, but that's a different story.) Bastian (holy roller type - I loved it), Pearisburg (another church hostel), Front Royal (another Catholic church), Del. Water Gap (another church hostel - terrific people and pastor), Manchester Center (again, a church hostel - nice pastor), Hanover (fun Episcopal church) and Monson (sad little fundamentalist congregation). I am very glad I took the time to seek out the local religious institutions. Part of the trail experience, for me, is seeing different ways of living and attending church was a good way to meet local people.

On the other trails we were not as lucky in being in real towns with churches on weekends. Actually, we usually made an effort to avoid being in town on weekends as so many of the PO's are closed most of Saturday and Sunday. We had a terrific experience at the Baptist Church in Salmon, Idaho, but the only other church service we attended was in Macks Inn - nice, but not as inspiring as the mountains we were hiking through.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2004, 16:10
There aren't many Catholic churches near the Trail, so the opportunity to attend Mass doesn't arise very often, especially down South.

However I discovered that hikers of ANY faith were welcomed at churches all up and down the Trail, and folks who are anxious to attend church while on their hikes should be aware that even if they can't find their own denomination out there, they should still consider attending services anyway; when I discussed this with a priest before my first hike, and when I mentioned that I didn't expect to attend Mass very often, he encouraged me to worship elsewhere, even if it meant going to a Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, or whatever service. It was ten years ago, but I still remember what he said:

"Don't worry about it! The phone might look a little different at first but the calls all go thru to the same place."

(Incidentally, the Catholic Church in Hanover, which is directly on the Trail, welcomes hikers at any time and they don't care how you're dressed).

Bloodroot
12-14-2004, 16:13
There aren't many Catholic churches near the Trail, so the opportunity to attend Mass doesn't arise very often, especially down South.

However I discovered that hikers of ANY faith were welcomed at churches all up and down the Trail, and folks who are anxious to attend church while on their hikes should be aware that even if they can't find their own denomination out there, they should still consider attending services anyway; when I discussed this with a priest before my first hike, and when I mentioned that I didn't expect to attend Mass very often, he encouraged me to worship elsewhere, even if it meant going to a Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, or whatever service. It was ten years ago, but I still remember what he said:

"Don't worry about it! The phone might look a little different at first but the calls all go thru to the same place."

(Incidentally, the Catholic Church in Hanover, which is directly on the Trail, welcomes hikers at any time and they don't care how you're dressed).
Excellent post.

Mountain Dew
12-15-2004, 04:34
Being a proud Fundamentalist Southern Baptist I sought out several churches along the trail to worship with. Buck Mountain Baptist Church was great. All 6 of us had a great Wed. night worship service together. Troutdale Baptist Church is another good church in which to worship. Goodtimes...

Skeemer
12-15-2004, 09:04
Where's SMS when you need him?

Bloodroot
12-15-2004, 11:14
Why? So this thread can be turned into a religious debate? The thread presented a simple question, deserving a simple response. Nothing more.

Youngblood
12-15-2004, 11:28

In Alaska... maybe wondering what the hell he was thinking. What did Abbey say about freezing your arse off and not seeing daylight for months?

Youngblood

Jaybird
12-15-2004, 11:57
It might depend on your definition of "church", but the there is a verse (can't remember which of the top of my head) that defines it a more than one or two folks praising God together.

So that means you could make or find Christian friends on the trail (and there are plently) to hold little services with. You could even do it walking.

The best part about it is that you're in God's church, instead of one of the many gaudy buildings meant to please people and collect dust.

As a Christian, it becomes a very exciting opportunity to walk your faith, and turn your hike into something much more special.

The more I praise God on the trail, the more vibrant nature becomes, to the point where it all speaks to me. It all has one, deeply compassionate voice.

Stand on a rock outcrop on a sunny day, or under a forest streaming with rain, or a ridge driven by snow, or lay under your tarp and listen - that's what I call church.

]..."Where two or more are gathered in my name,
there am I in the midst of them..."[/COLOR]Matthew 18:20

Mountain Dew
12-15-2004, 17:14
Skeemer, " Where's SMS when you need him? " --- What exactly do YOU need him for ? You seem to need/want him here in the hopes that he would ruin this thread. Don't be scared to hate on Christians all by yourself Skeemer. Be a man and speak up without needed others to do it for you.

Skeemer
12-15-2004, 17:54
you're always so damn defensive...I was just adding a little humor to the thread. I always get a kick out of SMS's postings, especially when the topic is religion and he brings up Abbey.

You may not believe me, but I really don't hate Christians...one of my best friends is one. Please read the thread and my posts on leaving religious materials in shelters. My contention there was to keep it off the Trail and take it to town...like what I believe this thread is about.

BTW, I I did stay in a Christian church hostel along my hike and "praised" the kind folks who provided it. Maybe this should be a topic for another thread. "Should non-christians stay or be allowed to stay in Christian church hostels?"

Bloodroot, you're probably right...keep answers simple for simple people.

Mountain Dew
12-16-2004, 01:27
Skeemer, so basically you think it's funny when he bashes Christians. That is exactly what you said in so many words so deny it all you want. Defensive ? ok The next time somebody bashes you for whatever reason( in this case ..wanting to see Religion bashed) I want to see you sit there in silence.

[B]Skeemer, "Bloodroot, you're probably right...keep answers simple for simple people." ---I'll make this simple and painless for you. That's not even close to what he said. Bloodroot, "The thread presented a simple question, deserving a simple response. Nothing more."--- Read said posts again and again till it makes sense or untill you have tried to comprehend to no avail. Goodnight now...

The Old Fhart
12-16-2004, 07:52
In 2001 I met a thru-hiker named El Perigrino (excuse the spelling) who was a catholic priest and he had a dispensation to allow him to hike the trail. While some of us had lunch at a restaurant in Atkins he told us about Easter on Max Patch. It was Sunday and he and some others wanted to hold Mass. There were some day hikers having a picnic on the summit so he went over, introduced himself, and managed to yogi a bottle of wine for the service. At first, they offered him a beer, thinking he was a typical thru-hiker, but after he produced identification proving he was a priest, they gladly gave him the wine. After the service they came over and admitted that was the most original yogi they had ever heard of.

Also in 2001, The Church Lady would try to get to a church every Sunday. I had met her at Partnership shelter as she was arranging for a ride into town.

In the late 80s I met Ruben, a Hasidic Jew, on a Saturday at Jeffers Brook shelter. Because of the Sabbath he couldn’t hike that day and at sundown proceeded to chant his prayers from the shelter. I’m sure a number of thru-hikers will remember Ruben for other reasons as well.

Besides Baltimore Jack’s excellent suggestion about attending any denomination service, you can always hold your own private service. If you carry your own religious materials, that is all you need. If you have an MP3 player or other audio system you could have a recorded Mass or other service that you could play to get more of that in-church feeling. Just be respectful of other people’s beliefs and, like cell phone use, keep it private.

Bloodroot
12-16-2004, 08:01
Thanks for the back-up Dew. My feel my statement was pretty self-explanitory; bare in mind though, it must take less than a simple mind to comprehend for some.

Patco
12-16-2004, 09:38
Catholic churches are hard to find in the south. We have 8 churches in Damascus. None of them Catholic.

While hiking for the second week with my dad (Brushy Sage) we spent a night at the Lazy Fox B&B. Sunday morning Ben loaned me a button-up shirt and we went to the Baptist church there. He introduced me to folks like I was family - everyone welcomed me - the music and sermon were a breath of fresh air. He even complemented my singing voice to Jinny upon return to the B&B. All in all, an experience I wouldn't trade.

One Leg
12-16-2004, 12:09
When I was in Hot Springs, the family and I decided to attend services at the Baptist church there. Sharing the same parking lot of the Baptist church is a Presbyterian church.

As we were getting ready for services, I noticed 2 other hikers I knew, Spot and Wild Man, had just hiked in. I went over to their campsite and told 'em where the showers were, offered them towels and soap. Told 'em to leave the towels & soap on the bumper of our van, that we'd retrieve them when we returned from church. Wild Man followed me back to the campsite and said that he wanted to go to church with us, so we took him along.

At the church, the prelude to services was quite lengthy, the piano player seemed to play on and on forever with no sign of the preacher. Wild Man, I failed to mention, was quite hard-of-hearing, and sat 4-5 pews in front of us, with several people in between. After suffering through the piano rendition long enough, Wild Man stood up, faced us, and in a loud voice said "I think I'll go over to the Presbyterian Church to see if they have the show on the road." So he left.

10 or so minutes later, he returned and said "Those Presbyterians know how to get it on. They've already met and got it over with!" He sat back down.(Piano player was still playing.)

Finally, the preacher emerged. Before delivering the sermon, he called the church to order, and had a business meeting right there on Sunday morning. They were voting on a new deacon. The candidate for deacon stood before the church to offer his testimony. He shared how he was on his way to church and saw a turtle crossing the road, so he brought it to Sunday School for the children to enjoy God's creation. The congregation voted him in, and the sermon began.

The pastor titled his sermon "God's Flight School" and read a passage of scripture referring to eagles. He shared how mother eagles sometimes have to pull the nest apart in order to make their young leave the nest. The connection he tried to make, but never succeeded at, was that sometimes God has to make us uncomfortable to get us motivated. The sermon lasted what seemed like an eternity.

When it was all over, Wild Man stood up, and in a voice loud enough for all in attendance to hear, said "Well we certainly learned a lot about eagles today, didn't we?"

Back at the campground, Spot came over to see how things went. Wild Man said "It was great, Spot. Bring a turtle to tonight's service, and they'll make you a deacon!"

It was the funniest church experience I've ever had.

Footslogger
12-16-2004, 12:48
Well ...this may sound a bit hokey but I spoke with the god of my understanding every day and didn't make a special effort to find churches along the way.

Regardless of your faith or religous affiliation you gotta admit when you're out there on the trail that you are among the most fortunate people on earth. I just made an occasional "thanks" to the higher power a regular practice.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Mags
12-16-2004, 15:03
I have a feeling that most Catholic churches will found in the northern portion of the trail. You may want to look at one of the various AT town guides (be if Wingfoot's or ALDHA's) and then use this lin to find churches in the town: http://www.thechurchfinder.com/ (The power of Google!)

You can find churches by denomination as well. Just as in experiment, I tried Williamstown, MA (right near the AT) and came up with this info:

ST PATRICK'S CATHOLIC CHURCH
54 SOUTHWORTH ST
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA

PH (413) 458-4954
Driving Directions

As others have noted though, sure most (if not all) churches will welcome you to worship regardless of your denomination.

Hope this helps.

Mags
9 yrs (K-8th) at St. Vincent De Paul School in Coventry, RI.
5 yrs as an altar boy
30 yrs or so of Catholic Guilt ;-)

Julia
12-16-2004, 16:05
Some great posts on the hiking, fellowship with other hikers and "church". I have usually found more kindred spirits in the great outdoors, than in some stuffy building. If we could just cultivate grateful attitudes while hiking, I think we wouldn't feel the need to get "right with God" as the Bible thumpers put it.:sun

Mags
12-16-2004, 16:08
Some great posts on the hiking, fellowship with other hikers and "church". I have usually found more kindred spirits in the great outdoors, than in some stuffy building. If we could just cultivate grateful attitudes while hiking, I think we wouldn't feel the need to get "right with God" as the Bible thumpers put it.:sun

Well, for some it is a communal act. As some hikers perfer a more social hike, some worshippers prefer to worship in a group.

Mind you, being a "born again atheist" haven't been to church in years! (Funerals and weddings excepted)

RockyTrail
12-16-2004, 16:22
Sometimes on Sunday mornings, you will run across a Scout troop on the trail holding an 10-15 minute inter-denominational service. Some of these are relatively sophisticated, with hymns, responsive reading, etc. If you walk up on one or happen to be camped nearby, they are open to all, it can be interesting if you've never attended one.

Bolo
12-16-2004, 16:48
Sometimes on Sunday mornings, you will run across a Scout troop on the trail holding an 10-15 minute inter-denominational service. Some of these are relatively sophisticated, with hymns, responsive reading, etc. If you walk up on one or happen to be camped nearby, they are open to all, it can be interesting if you've never attended one.The 12th point of the Scout Law....."A Scout is Reverent."

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 11:59
Sometimes on Sunday mornings, you will run across a Scout troop on the trail holding an 10-15 minute inter-denominational service.

The 12th point of the Scout Law....."A Scout is Reverent."

I was never a Boy Scout, so I don't know the answer to this question. And please take it in the spirit intended. Please.

"Inter-denominational" implies denominations of one religion. A denomination is a sub-set of a religion.

So, my question is, do the Boy Scouts have inter-religious services, or "only" Christian services?

JUST CURIOUS.

Rain Man

Footslogger
12-17-2004, 12:52
I was never a Boy Scout, so I don't know the answer to this question. And please take it in the spirit intended. Please.

"Inter-denominational" implies denominations of one religion. A denomination is a sub-set of a religion.

So, my question is, do the Boy Scouts have inter-religious services, or "only" Christian services?

JUST CURIOUS.

Rain Man

.=========================
Might vary by troop based on it's make up. The troop in which I was an Asst Scoutmaster was comprised of Christian and Jewish youths/adults. When we camped on weekends there was typically a service before we broke camp on Sunday morning and headed home. Scouts of all faiths were encouraged to lead the group in prayers or readings of their choosing and everyone participated in all of them as they chose.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Pooja Blue
12-20-2004, 12:17
I attended Mass where I could along the trail; sometimes I just attended services with whatever other Christian hikers were trying to make it to services, they weren't always Catholic services. I'm a lifelong Catholic but when I couldn't make it to Catholic church, I enjoyed the services at other churches and was always made to feel welcome. I was always a bit self-conscious about not being dressed "up" and I tended to go only if I had had a recent shower, but no one overtly gave me a hard time about anything. Certainly God didn't mind. ;)

My thruhike was a powerful spiritual experience, particularly the second half of my flipflop when I had a lot of solitude to pray and meditate.

grandview
12-24-2004, 01:40
good thread

beartrack1
03-23-2005, 01:32
Church is wherever you want to make it.
I'd rather have a true relationship than religion.

superman
03-23-2005, 08:48
I hiked behind Hokey Pokey in the early part of my 2000 thru hike. On Easter I got to the top of that mountain coming out of the NOC. There was a piece of notebook paper flapping around under a rock. I was due for a break anyway so I took off my pack, ate a snack and read what Hokey Pokey had left for anyone to read about Easter. It was nicely written and a good thing to find on a good day on the trail. I'm not a particularly religious person but I enjoyed it. The only other notes I bothered to read were BEEs ->

Kozmic Zian
03-23-2005, 09:57
Yea.....Church is in the head and heart out there. If you need a social church, go to town, anywhere on Sunday. Church is there. Good Worshiping.KZ@

Jack Tarlin
03-23-2005, 12:30
The great architect Sir Christopher Wren, who died at 91 in 1723, was buried in St. Paul's Cathedral in London, which he designed.

The epitaph on the tomb reads as follows: "Lector, si momumentum requiris circumspice." ("Reader, if you seek his monument, look around you.")

The same idea also holds true on the AT:

You don't need to be in town on a Sunday to find yourself in church.

If you seek a cathedral on the Trail, look around you.

Brock
03-23-2005, 16:51
The trail is my church.

I grew up in a Catholic/Christian/Baptist background and I heavily encourage you to stop going to those churches and begin developing your own relationship with God (whichever one you decide to choose). I just think it is easier to reflect and read/learn about God on your own than listen to retoric sermons. Plus, you can freely stretch your body at the same time in the quiet natural area that God created.

P.S. I am NOT trying to start anything... just suggesting what I found works best for me.

DavidNH
05-24-2005, 16:56
I will answer that this way....when ever I am hiking in mountains and wilderness areas I feel that I AM in church!!!

And as to a tradtional church service in a church building..not going to lose time there. I can do that AFTER The hike!

NHHiker