PDA

View Full Version : X-frames are in!!

Outdoor76
11-23-2010, 12:01
We just got in our 1st shipment of Kymit X-Frames yesterday. Seeing them at Outdoor Retailer was one thing, but having them in the shop is another. These things are insane!! We love our Neo Airs, but there's no mistaking this mattress is in a league of its own. At $99, its almost half the weight of a NEO. It can be blown up with about 4 breaths OR you can use the included hand pump, it comes with a stuff sack and a patch kit. It doesn't make the "crinkly" noise that the NEO makes and its debatable that its a warmer mattress with the "loft pockets".

If any of you are near Franklin, NC, you need to swing by Outdoor 76 on Main Street to check this thing out.

Odd Man Out
11-23-2010, 14:42
Interesting. Here is the manufacture's link.

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products/sleeping-pads/ineriaxframe.html#

4eyedbuzzard
11-23-2010, 16:45
So since you have access to one, please blow one up and let us know how comfortable it is in comparison to a Neoair. We need trustworthy WB reviews!

flemdawg1
11-23-2010, 17:03
So since you have access to one, please blow one up and let us know how comfortable it is in comparison to a Neoair. We need trustworthy WB reviews!

A retailer is a trustworthy reviewer?

4eyedbuzzard
11-23-2010, 17:49
A retailer is a trustworthy reviewer?
I didn't notice the join date or number of posts (yeah, that are geared at drumming up business). But, on the other side, what's the difference if they sell Kymits or Neoairs, the margin is likely the same.

Rick500
11-23-2010, 17:57
I'm kind of intrigued, but I wonder how it would work for a side-sleeper such as myself...

tndrfoot
11-23-2010, 18:51
Not for sure but it looks like it would be cold on a winter nite!! might be good for summer!!

Don H
11-23-2010, 19:06
OK, where's the rest of it? ;)

4eyedbuzzard
11-23-2010, 19:37
OK, where's the rest of it? ;)
Can I interest you in some inflatable pillows? :D

Luddite
11-23-2010, 20:05
I'm kind of intrigued, but I wonder how it would work for a side-sleeper such as myself...

Probably not too good.

Very cool design, but I don't buy that "loft pocket" idea.

Luddite
11-23-2010, 20:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmBn-ytx000

Check that video out.

Don H
11-23-2010, 21:36
Can I interest you in some inflatable pillows? :D

To fill in the gaps?:p

Don H
11-23-2010, 21:48
Cool videos, I can see it being very comfortable with a foam pad on top.

Tinker
11-23-2010, 22:19
It would probably be good in cold weather with a ccf pad on top.

springerfever
11-23-2010, 22:30
I dropped in to Outdoor 76 this last Friday and was impressed with the store and the personnel. There were a couple of southbound thruhikers
answering customers questions . One of them, Hitman, I ran into on the north side of Standing Indian early Saturday morning and he said the personnel were great and very much in tune with thruhikers.

Another southbounder, from Australia, was using a ULA Circuit pack and he gave me some pointers on bending the stays and weight distribution on my Circuit. He had added a Granite Gear Lid to his pack and it looked to be a nice addition to the Circuit. I believe Outdoor 76 will be carrying the ULA line in the future.

I hope ths store does well. As much as I love to shop at REI (in the Atlanta area), I prefer to spend my money at the smaller outfitters like Mountain Crossings/Outside World and High Country.

BTW, I tented atop Standing Indian Friday night and atop Albert Saturday night. Awesome views and great weather. Ran into some fine people. I had forgotten how beautiful the Kimsey Creek trail is. Heading up Kimsey and down the Long Branch is definately my preferred direction for this three day hike. Water ON TOP of Standing Indian was flowing just fine. Took about two minutes to get a couple of liters of clean water.

THE best news of the trip was that Albert Mountain firetower is undergoing a reconstruction. The entire floor of the tower had been replaced with pressure treated lumber and the windows replaced and reglazed. looking forward to my next trip to check out progress. Very glad to see this tower being rebuilt, some of my best pictures have been taken from this location, particularly sunrises.

If you are in the Franklin area make sure to visit Outdoor 76 and check out the beautiful handcrafted wooden canoe hanging from the rafters. Absolutely beautiful ! Good luck you guys !!!!!

Kerosene
11-24-2010, 07:57
I can believe that the "loft pockets" would offset the lack of direct insulative material, but I find it hard to believe that my shoulders, hips and heels would stay on the pad overnight. It's hard enough to stay on a narrow NeoAir as I roll from side-to-side.

Also, note that the 9.1 ounce weight is equivalent to a NeoAir short. I use the padded framesheet of my pack under my feet.

The 14 breaths it takes to blow up a NeoAir short don't bother me, nor does the "crinkle" sound. In fact, the *only* gripe I have about the NeoAir is that it is very narrow at 20", so your elbows fall off the side if you're lying on your back, which is uncomfortable given that the mattress provides 2" of loft. Note that the X-Frame is 18" wide and 1.5" high.

springerfever
11-24-2010, 08:17
Kerosene...if you get a chance, try the 25" neoair. HUGE improvement with the additional width, particularly if you sleep on your side.

Outdoor76
11-24-2010, 09:27
OK - review from the retailer :)
We're not trying to pitch this as the mattress for everyone - we all own Neo's and I'll continue to use it as my go-to mattress, but the X-Frame is going to cater to all the gram counters. Its not the best night sleep, but its blows the doors off the ever popular Z-Lite. I'm a side sleeper and it even works for me. The biggest attribute to this IMO is the hand pump. I do know that my Neo seems to hold air better. However, you can lay on this and give it a couple pumps to firm up if needed. At just over 9oz, and considering its pack down size ...and for $99 ... this thing is going to have a hard time not being popular.
I'll be the first to say that the "loft pocket" is a theory. It makes sense but I'm sure we'll see everything from "hey, it works" to "gimmick" when the reviews start flooding in. We're planning on getting in a couple cold nights out over the next few days - we'll keep you posted.

Kerosene
11-24-2010, 14:37
Kerosene...if you get a chance, try the 25" neoair. HUGE improvement with the additional width, particularly if you sleep on your side.If my knees didn't have to lug an additional 10 ounces I'd definitely consider it. The 20" width works fine for side-sleeping, but isn't wide enough for sleeping on my back or stomach (not that I can really sleep that way, however).

I figure that a 25" wide short (47") NeoAir would weigh about 25% more than the 20" width, or just over 11 ounces. I'd seriously consider that weight trade-off, especially if I was a big guy who could sleep on my back.

berninbush
11-24-2010, 14:43
I figure that a 25" wide short (47") NeoAir would weigh about 25% more than the 20" width, or just over 11 ounces. I'd seriously consider that weight trade-off, especially if I was a big guy who could sleep on my back.

I keep looking for any air mat with those dimensions, but I've never had any luck! I'm only 61 inches tall, but "wide built" and I roll around in my sleep, so 20 inch mats just don't work very well for me. Sadly, the only wider mats also seem to be longer. Not only does this make the mat heavier to carry, but in some cases it won't even fit in the junior-sized tents I use. I wish someone made a mat for a short fat restless sleeper.

walkin' wally
11-24-2010, 15:19
If I understood the video correctly you have to inflate the mattress each time you use it? That seems like a lot of cylinders to carry? Or are the cylinders just for the vest?

Luddite
11-24-2010, 15:27
If I understood the video correctly you have to inflate the mattress each time you use it? That seems like a lot of cylinders to carry? Or are the cylinders just for the vest?

The cylinders are just for the vest.

strollingalong
11-25-2010, 01:58
it looks pretty stupid. I'd feel a right plonker

Egads
11-25-2010, 06:42
Pads need to provide comfort and insulation w/o being bulky or heavy.

I have cold spots just looking at this pad

Luddite
11-25-2010, 13:02
If I didn't already buy a Neoair I think I would buy this and use a thin pad on top of it in winter.

Kerosene
11-25-2010, 13:16
If I didn't already buy a Neoair I think I would buy this and use a thin pad on top of it in winter.I'd think that you'd use the pad underneath the X-Frame in order to retain the bag's loft.

Kerosene
11-25-2010, 13:16
If I didn't already buy a Neoair I think I would buy this and use a thin pad on top of it in winter.I'd think that you'd use the pad underneath the X-Frame in order to retain your bag's loft.

Luddite
11-25-2010, 13:18
I'd think that you'd use the pad underneath the X-Frame in order to retain the bag's loft.

Oh right, thats true.

Egads
11-25-2010, 13:40
If I didn't already buy a Neoair I think I would buy this and use a thin pad on top of it in winter.

And how much weight does carrying two pads save?

I use an aerogel pad with an inflatable torso section in winter

Luddite
11-25-2010, 13:54
And how much weight does carrying two pads save?

I use an aerogel pad with an inflatable torso section in winter

It would give you some versatility. You could ditch the other pad when it warms up. Whats a aerogel pad?

leaftye
11-25-2010, 14:09
I think the X-frame could be nice in the summer. I'd probably combine it with a torso-length thinlight pad.

Whats a aerogel pad?

Pacific Outdoor Equipment makes them. I have one too. For roughly 20 ounces you get one of the lightest pads on the market, that is, if you believe their ratings. I've only used mine down to the low 20's or maybe high teens, so I haven't really pushed the limits of my pad yet.

darkage
11-25-2010, 15:57
Kerosene...if you get a chance, try the 25" neoair. HUGE improvement with the additional width, particularly if you sleep on your side.

Yup, i use the neoair large as i'm 6'3 and LOVE IT! ... Only other sleeping pad on the market i'd perhaps be inclined to check out is that nemo cosmo 3" inch loft and built in foot pump for a mere 2 pounds.

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2010, 19:36
Not for sure but it looks like it would be cold on a winter nite!! might be good for summer!!

I think that was his point, because the down would not be compressed in the holes, that it would be warmer.

I too am a big side sleeper so I would like to hear a review, otherwise I am sold.

Egads
11-25-2010, 22:42
Pacific Outdoor Equipment makes them. I have one too. For roughly 20 ounces you get one of the lightest pads on the market, that is, if you believe their ratings. I've only used mine down to the low 20's or maybe high teens, so I haven't really pushed the limits of my pad yet.

I've used mine to low teens on snow and was plenty warm inside my MB #0.

Half Note
11-26-2010, 20:44
I'll stick with my swimming pool floating mat and hand pump. Six bucks. :D

G-WALK
12-12-2010, 21:27
How will this work with the Big Agnes sleeping bags ??? They have a sleeping pad pouch on the bottom on the bag, no insulation. It loots cold, maybe even for summer.

ec.hiker
12-12-2010, 21:54
I use the marine corps style sleeping pad it works fine for me I have no idea what it weighs but it seems to do the trick

ShaneP
12-12-2010, 23:24
how you suppose that thing would do in a hammock?

S

4eyedbuzzard
12-12-2010, 23:54
how you suppose that thing would do in a hammock?

S
___Poorly___

darkage
12-13-2010, 01:24
This thing in general has failure all over it.