PDA

View Full Version : fontana dam to newfound gap section in over the new year

keithweezer1
12-14-2004, 02:13
hey everyone,

i'm concidering hiking the fontana dam to newfound gap section of the AT. has anyone ever hiked thru the smokies in december? if so, what are some things i should consider before heading out. are snowshoes a good idea?

orangebug
12-14-2004, 07:11
You won't know if snowshoes are a good idea until you get there. I'd at least consider instep crampons. Weather in the Smokies can change quickly. If you get stuck in a heavy snowstorm, consider the option of just putting up in a shelter until things settle down in a day or two.

What are your plans on getting back to Fontana and your car?

keithweezer1
12-14-2004, 12:49
i'm considering a down and back route. i was thinking it would take me anywhere from 6-8 days.

MOWGLI
12-14-2004, 13:05
hey everyone,

i'm concidering hiking the fontana dam to newfound gap section of the AT. has anyone ever hiked thru the smokies in december? if so, what are some things i should consider before heading out. are snowshoes a good idea?

Backpacking with snowshoes introduces an entirely new element to your trip. It is VERY difficult to do if you are not experienced. Expect to travel at less than 1 MPH - and possible as slow as .25 to .5 MPH if there is any significant accumulation.

I would think more about wearing tall gaters and breaking snow.

ed bell
12-14-2004, 13:54
I checked the latest update (7:30AM) from the National Weather Service. Looks like winter is settling in on the Smokys. Mt. LeConte (6400') reports 16 inches of snow on the ground, yesterdays high temp of 23 and a low overnight of 0 deg F. Newfound Gap (5000') reported 8 inches of snow with a high temp of 33 and a low of 9. My experiences of the Smokys in Dec/Jan have always been exciting, but I always seem to get some extra fatigue from battling the variable trail conditions and face numbing cold. It is also tough to keep enough water in your system when its so cold. I agree that tall gaiters and instep crampons would be a good idea at least, but I have zero experience with snowshoes. I will add that I have never been up there and seen anyone with snowshoes, but I have only hiked when snow depths were less than 2-3 feet on the park's western/northern slopes. Those slopes always seem to have the most winter action. I have found that trail conditions change enough that you will find yorself taking crampons on and off quite a bit if they are needed, a rather bothersome chore. Keeping up with current and developing weather conditions is key. Gonna be cold up there this week. Enjoy your trip!

hikingpm
12-14-2004, 15:23
Definately go with the gaitors and the crampons. I have hiked the section between Fontana and Newfound Gap and there are sections there that I don't think can be navigated with snow shoes.

Another thing to think about is that Newfound Gap Road is periodically closed due to snow and ice. This past weekend was a prime example of that. I think your in and out approach is probably the surest bet.

I live in Knoxville so if I can be of any assistance let me know.

thestin
12-14-2004, 16:32
Be aware that the long term forecast is for another shot of cold air to move across the southeast early next week. There will most likely be more snow with this system and the risk of temps below zero at night.

The Solemates
12-14-2004, 18:00
We've hiked the AT in the Smokies in the winter about 5 times and have never used snowshoes or crampons or ice axes or mountaineering rope or ladders or anything else ridiculous. Just not needed in the South. We are headed to the mountains the week after Christmas for a week's worth of winter hiking. Either Mt Rogers area or Cold Mtn area. Not gonna bring crampons then either.

Tn Bandit
12-14-2004, 18:16
We did a backpack this past weekend and was on the northern section from Davenport Gap to Low Gap. There was 2-8 inches of new snow which is easy to navigate with just poles. The tricky part is when the snow begins to melt in the afternoon and then refreezes at night, the trail becomes a ice rink in some areas. These areas are frequent but not common which usually doesn't justify crampons for the entire trip.
Hint if you still have some old school backpackers in your group with the external frames, let them lead, their mammoth packs will knock the snow from the limbs blocking the trail! Yea they give me a hard time about being ultralight, but on this day spent bending under trees, they wished they had a GoLite!
We had a great time I love winter backpacking,
Tn Bandit
SMHC
LocalHikes.com

ed bell
12-14-2004, 18:39
I wouldn't necessarily call in-step crampons ridiculous. I nearly broke bones coming down the Alum Cave Trail from Mt. LeConte without instep crampons due to very icy trail conditions. The AT grade through the Smokys isn't quite as harsh as that trail though. I am talking about the small crampons that can be attatched to regular hiking boots, not the mountaineering type. I agree that those other items are overkill for hiking trails down here.

The Solemates
12-15-2004, 13:38
I wouldn't necessarily call in-step crampons ridiculous. I nearly broke bones coming down the Alum Cave Trail from Mt. LeConte without instep crampons due to very icy trail conditions. The AT grade through the Smokys isn't quite as harsh as that trail though. I am talking about the small crampons that can be attatched to regular hiking boots, not the mountaineering type. I agree that those other items are overkill for hiking trails down here.

Ok, ok, so they arent ridiculous. I actually have a pair. just never have worn em much. Seems like too much work to me. Put em on to walk 20 feet over an icy section, then take them off again because once across on fresh snow it feels like you are walking on needles. repeat.

and yes, the Alum Cave trail is steep and if icy they would help. Ive only walked that trail in spring. but you are right, the AT through the Smokies follows a generally easy grade and they arent typically needed.

I wouldnt mind going up the Boulevard in a couple weeks. They say there is 2 feet of snow up there. But I guess I cant since Im taking my dog. Thinking of Pisgah in NC instead. Art Loeb?